Houzz Logo Print
reston1_gw

Pros and cons of different granite edges?

reston1
12 anni fa

I'm guessing there's been a lot of discussion about granite edges on GW, but I can't find anything specific using the search engine, so I figures I'd start a new thread. Our kitchen will lean toward transitional with some traditional elements, some more contemporary. Medium cherry cabinets, darker wood floor, and probably a dark granite. What are the pros/cons of the different types of granite edges? We currently have a beveled edge which I HATE because all kinds of grime settles in the edges and it's a pain to clean. So my only requirement is that it's easy to clean. Other than that, I'm open to anything.

Commenti (11)

• regina_phalange
    12 anni fa

My favorite is the pencil edge. It makes the counters look the thickest IMO. But I love graphic style, straight edges, clean, etc. The other thing that I love about pencil is that it works well with the granite edge around an undermount sink. The cut is similar and it adds consistency. Just my personal preference!

• friedajune
    12 anni fa

I am linking a thread with about 65 posts about granite edges. Lots of pics, and pretty much everything you'd ever want to know about granite edges.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchens Forum Thread Called What Granite Edge Did You Choose

• nini804
    12 anni fa

I agree with pp about the pencil edge...that is what I am using for the marble on my perimeter counters for that very reason. I am doing a thick ogee edge for the walnut top on my island...I feel that will make the walnut look more "furniturey" and less "countertoppy" in my fairly formal kitchen! :)

• Oreocake
    12 anni fa

Ogee is what caught my eye when I first looked at edges, but our contractor told us that full bull nose is the most popular and has less chance of chipping. It just seems so plain, though. And I noticed a post about spilled liquids following the curve around and ending up on the cabinets. Is that true? According to the link above, it doesn't seem to be the most popular. We haven't committed to an edge yet, are you bull-nose people happy with your choice?

• nini804
    12 anni fa

I have a friend who did a full bullnose, and she doesn't like it because the way it curves on the bottom makes the top look thinner.

• calimama
    12 anni fa

I have full bullnose. I wanted an eased edge to go with our more contemporary choices, but my DH was adamant about the full bullnose. That was one of the few things he cared about (that and the granite!) because he didn't want sharp corners, chipping and he just liked the look. The edge around the sink is eased, and I have not chipped the granite, but I have chipped many glasses and dishes!

I have had it for going on two years now, and I really like it. It does take some getting used to when sweeping off crumbs and stuff, since they don't fall off till after the curve. I haven't noticed a drip issue more than any other counter. I really do like the softness of the look, to "counter" the hardness of the stone and other features I have. I also have it on my island, which has an overhang for stools and haven't noticed any issues there.

• reston1
    Autore originale
    12 anni fa

Does anyone have pictures they can post? Would love to see the full bull-nose vs half, but I'm really undecided still, so any pics would be great!

• breezygirl
    12 anni fa

Reston--check out the thread Akchicago posted above for pics.

• celineike
    12 anni fa

What's the difference between pencil and ease edges?

• chedanemi
    12 anni fa

I have the ogee edge, and while I really like it, it wreaks havoc on the front of my jeans and shirts. I decorate custom cakes, so I am leaning and brushing against the edges constantly. The friction between the edge and my clothing has resulted in much wear on the jeans and shirts. I don't have a tummy, so it's not like one part of me is leaning closer than another part even!

If you aren't one who is constantly working in the kitchen, this may not be a problem for you, but it's worth keeping in mind.

Sponsorizzato

Ricarica la pagina per non vedere più questo specifico annuncio

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".