Houzz Logo Print
mraroid

Did you buy a Cross Country Greenhouse?

mraroid
18 anni fa

I am looking at buying a greenhouse called "The Cottage" or the "Cape Cod". They are sold under the company name of Cross Country Greenhouses. They are manufactured by a company in Canada called BC Greenhouse Builders Ltd. At least that is what I have been able to figure out so far. I am trying to find a good price. I found a *HUGE* difference in price between Charlies Greenhouse Supply and ACF Greenhouses for the same greenhouse. Has anyone bought a Cross Country Greenhouse? Where did you buy it from? Were you happy with the way the company treated you? Did you do any price shopping before you bought it?

Recommendations appreciated.

mraroid

Commenti (44)

• jmorris08
    18 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 9 anni fa

I did buy one, it is not yet erected because we ran into weather problems. The floor is poured concrete with the plumbing and the heating in the floor. The one I bought was a triple wall. I did go with Charleys Greenhouse though because of their reputation and customer service. The other companies seemed a little iffy. But, if you want to save money, try checking prices directly from BC greehouse buliders in Canada, or ACF. I think it is all the same greenhouse, but I am not sure.

• mraroid
    Autore originale
    18 anni fa

I have bought greenhouse supplies from Charlies. I have also worked with them on building a larger greenhouse. I think they have great customer service. Were you happy with the way they treated you?

jack

• scryn
    18 anni fa

I may be mis-understanding your post but it sounds like you are saying that Charley's carries cross country greenhouses.
    As far as I know Charley's makes it's own greenhouses that are just called similar names to the cross country line. I have contacted charley's a couple times becuase i am thinking of buying a greenhouse from them and they were very nice. Shipping is VERY expensive for me though so I may by a cross country greenhouse for a closer company. I haven't been able to determine how much a difference there truly is between the Charley's and cross country line.
    if you go to the cross country greenhouse site (www.crosscountrygreenhouses.com) you will find all the retailers that sell their greenhouses. Charley's is not one of them.
    As far as I understand Charley's greenhouses are more expensive because they are custom made. Their supplies are a little more pricey also, but i have ordered from them and find they are very nice.
    -renee

• mraroid
    Autore originale
    18 anni fa

renee...

Thanks for the info. Yes, I may be confused (I often am!). I saw a greenhouse from Charlies called "The Cape Cod" and it looked the same as "The Cape Cod" sold by Cross Country, built by BC Greenhouses Ltd in Cananda. I am going to call BC Greenhouses and see what they say. Even the cresting in Charlies Greenhouses looks the same as that produced by BC Greenhouses. I'll post what I find out.

I have noting bad to say about Charlies Greenhouse. I have talked with them about buying a greenhouse and they have been vary helpful. Nice folks. And yea, they are a bit high, but they make up for it with good customer service.

Below is a link to BC Greenhouse's "Cape Cod".

jack

Here is a link that might be useful: BC Greenhouse

• mraroid
    Autore originale
    18 anni fa

Renee....

I have talked to Charlies & to BC Greenhouses Ltd. BC says they build the greenhouses that Charlie's sells. I called Charlies and they confirmed it.

I just *knew* I had seen that Cape Cod someplace before....

After doing some calling around, I found many greenhouse vendors that sell Cross Country greenhouses that are *not* on the list at Cross Country's web site.

Perhaps some big players have cut a deal with BC and have bypassed Cross Country. I dono.....

jack

• siegel2
    18 anni fa

I bought mine directly from B.C. Greenhouses and saved thousands of dollars. Charley's sells the exact same greenhouse, but they mark up the price.

B.C. has excellent customer service and walked me through the difficult parts of putting their greenhouse kit together via an "800" number.

Here's how it turned out:

.{{gwi:291179}}

• scryn
    18 anni fa

WOW ! what a greenhouse!!!
    So I was also debating if the home attached cross country greenhouse was better/worse than Charley's home attached.
    So you are saying that they are the same greenhouse right??? I guess that makes my decision much easier.
    I can't thank you enough!!
    -renee

• tim_group
    17 anni fa

I have spoken with the manufacturer also. They said the same technical support is offered from them for a Cross Country greenhouse sold through any of their dealers. They also said the dealer listings on the web site is optional per dealer. I imagine Charley's opted out because they don't want their prices compared to other dealers.

I say get the best deal, but if you think paying more for it will get you better service, go with Charley's.

• birdwidow
    17 anni fa

Once I decided on a Cross Country, I spoke with Kyle, at BC (the mfg.)and ended up buying from ACF, as they had the best price.

But I can't say enough good things about the support the mfg. gives, regardless if bought directly or through a distributor.

However, BC isn't the cheapest place to get a Cross Country, at least for standard models.

They have their set prices and if it's more than one of their distributors sells it for, they won't match it, but that makes perfect sense.

Any mfg. that did undercut it's own distributors wouldn't have any for long.

• scryn
    17 anni fa

birdwidow, I just ordered a cross country from ACF also. I have written them once and they responded in five minutes so I was very happy.
    I was wondering about how long it actually took for you to get the greenhouse. I know they say 3-5 weeks but I was wondering about your experience.
    They also say on the website that the shipper will contact you prior to shipping so you can be home at the time. How far in advance did they contact you? I work full time so I hope they give me more than a days notice.

thanks,
    renee

• birdwidow
    17 anni fa

scryn:

I ordered my Cross Country with roof vents, a custom door drop and fan & vent cut outs on May 12, and it was shipped on May 31.

The carrier's local delivery scheduler notified me of the delivery time and date the day it was shipped; a full week in advance.

I shopped till I literally dropped. Or. I should say; until my fingers wore out searching the web and in the end, couldn't beat ACF's price on the powered vent system, so ordered it along with the GH.

I'm probably going to get the heater from them too, for the same reason.

BTW: Mine is the 12 x 16 "Anniversary" model, with the curved roof. I ordered it in white, as our home is white and it will be in the back of our garden.

What are you getting? Are you as excited as I am?

• scryn
    17 anni fa

I have been looking for over a year so just ordering it was a big deal for me!!!!!
    I am getting the home attached curved eave greenhouse. It is only 6x8 (sigh) but I think it will be fine for me. I am interested in growing indoor plants and will buy another small cross country greenhouse for the yard for outdoor plants at some point hopefully.
    I ordered a white one too, I just thought it looked nicer. It has only been about a week since I ordered it but I am getting sooooo antsy already. I want to know when it will come !!!!!! I didn't order anything special so I hope it isn't too long. They haven't even charged me yet so i wrote them two days ago and they said I should see the charge go through very soon.
    This weekend we plan on cutting a tree down and then the site will be ready for the greenhouse. It already has a concrete pad there. I already have the inside of the greenhouse all planned out and have shelving units that I have been using indoors that will fit very nicely.
    My parents were really hoping that could help us put it up when they visit in June. They like to be busy and we like the help! I really hope it arrives by then!

-renee

• birdwidow
    17 anni fa

Renee:

"I have been looking for over a year so just ordering it was a big deal for me!!!!!"

You too? I went crazy just looking and comparing for size and quality for the price, because I also needed to consider the cost of site prep., automatic ventillation, heat, watering and light systems.

I gave myself a total budget of $12,000 and while I'm cheerfully spending their inheritance, there are limits.
    But I did score on plant tables. A large nursery/craft store chain in our area went out of business and I bought a bunch of extra heavy, commercial honeycomb fiberglass plant tables for next to zip, so that was a big savings up front.

I would have loved to have had my GH attached to the house, but have no place to connect it, so will tramp out to my GH, but it's not that far; about 60 ft from the back door.

Drea

• scryn
    17 anni fa

My greenhouse has been shipped and should arrive next week!
    So, I ordered May 24th. It should arrive June 15 about so that is just about 3 weeks.
    I am so excited. I will post when I get it and tell you how everything went.
    -renee

• birdwidow
    17 anni fa

Renee:

I am as pleased for you as I am for myself.

My GH arrived right on time, but alas, one end of the crate containing the polycarbonate panels had been bumped by a lift truck fork.

It made a small hole in the crate and dented in the wood, which hit the ends of all 8 vent panels lying inside, crimping one edge on all of them, just deeply enough to make them unusable.

However, all it took was a toll free call to Kyle at BC and replacements arrived the next day!

I was as relieved for Kyle as he was for his company, as the damaged panels were all the small ones, so they were able to send them via UPS Overnight; far quicker than I truly needed them, but a perfect example of a company that makes every effort to satisfy.

No product is better than the service behind it, and I have never received better than I have from BC.

Please, do keep coming back, and let us all know how you are doing with your own Cross Country.

Drea

• scryn
    17 anni fa

That is unfortunate that your had that problem, but it seems that it was fixed very easily! That is great! So you called BC greenhouses about the problem rather than ACF, where you bought it?
    just yesterday I came home to find out that some of my supplies had arrived, including my free potting bench, cordless drill and hose. I was pretty happy about that.
    I am crossing my fingers that everything arrives OK next week. My greenhouse is a bit smaller than yours so I hope that it is easier to handle for the shippers.

-renee

• birdwidow
    17 anni fa

Renee:

ACF is a BC distributor, very likely their largest, which may explain their having the best prices, but they don't keep CC GHs in stock.

BC GHs are custom built per order and trucked directly to you from the factory in Canada, but if you have a problem, and have access to the source of the solution; use it.

Besides; Kyle is a terrific guy and knows his product better than anyone at ACF could hope to.

ACF is a huge distributor: think of them as a Home Depot for GHs and accessories.

Except in the case of the CC GHs, you don't need to deal with a retail order taker: you get a direct line to the manufacturer, who seems to delight in dealing one-on-one with the ultimate consumers.

As for the dammaged panels: Stuff Happens and on freight docks; if it's handled by fork lifts, the odds for someone missing the mark are even; regardless of the size of the item.

However; relax your fingers. The oldest saw in the business world still applies:

Never judge a vendor because of a problem, but instead; how they respond and SOLVE the problem FOR you.

• scryn
    17 anni fa

woohoo!
    my greenhouse arrived yesterday and it appears that it is in good shape. I haven't opened the crates yet but they are not crushed or bumped. I was very happy with the packaging and they even wrote what was in each crate on the side!

• birdwidow
    17 anni fa

Renee:

Congrats! I can feel your excitement in your note.

Yes, BC does crate very well. They told me they write the list of contents on the crates to avoid the problem of packing slips in envelopes taped to the crates getting lost in transit.

But do open the crates and check the contents against the parts list in the instruction manual ASAP, and call BC if anything seems amiss.

One thing though--- Until you are ready to remove their blue protective coverings, DO NOT expose the polycarbonate panels to sunlight.

The covers react with sunlight and damage the panels. But I've also learned that the blue covered side has to be installed to the outside, so it also acts as a handy guide.

We are leaving them in the garage and will bring them to the GH as we install them. Individually, they are lghtweight and easy to handle.

Have fun with your oversized erector set and let us know how you progress.

Drea

BTW: You can download the instruction manual and print it out by individual page if you need. I hole punched the one that came with the GH and put it in a ring binder for reference as we construct, but it's nice to know I can so easily replace any pages that may get messed up.

• scryn
    17 anni fa

thanks, we are in the process of getting rid of an extremely annoying mulberry tree right now. yesterday our two dogs ran out in the yard and came back purple!!! I hate that tree. When we are done, we start on the greenhouse.
    My crates are also in our garage. I only opened one to get the instructions out. I should go and check the contents of the others.
    With the tree getting smaller and smaller our yard seems to get bigger everyday! I am still going to plant a smaller tree for shade, one that doesn't drop a million purple berries everywhere though.

• gw:plant_babies
    17 anni fa

I am hoping to buy a Cross Country, and NEED to get the best price possible.

From your threads it sounds like you guys bought directly from the manufacturer? If I am wrong please let me know.

Can you send me a website link or phone number so that I can speak to Kyle directly?

I have a few needs that I'd like to discuss before I go ordering something I don't know anything about!

For example -- I'd like to sink it into the ground about 3-4 feet to help keep it warm since using it in winter will be very important to me. I guess the greenhouse will sit on top of the ground, so opening the door will not be a problem, but will there have to be steps inside? Not sure how that works.

The good news is that my husband is a carpenter/designer and will probably be able to do everything right -- I just want to make sure I am VERY CLEAR when I order parts, accessories, size, door, vents, fans, heat, etc. so that I don't get it put together and find out it is all wrong.

thanks for any advice, pics by email attachment and information that you can give me. (i can't see pics in the forums, that's why email pics are needed).

D

• scryn
    17 anni fa

I don't have the greenhouse together yet. I bought mine from ACF (www.littlegreenhouse.com)
    They have ones you can buy from the manufacturer, BC greenhouses, but they were larger sized ones and mine is small. You can call ACF and they will answer your questions, or you can call BC greenhouses. They are both very helpful

Many people sink their greenhouse in the ground a little bit. You tell this to who you order the greenhouse from and then they will alter the greenhouse height for you. Or you can just keep the height the same.

As far as steps, ya, you need them either in or outside the greenhouse. otherwise you would have a hard time getting in and out for sure!

Charleys greenhouse supply has the same greenhouses and they have a greenhouse gallery which is nice. www.charleysgreenhouse.com/gallery/
    Looking at the pictures is a nice way to get ideas. I will hopefully be able to use my greenhouse all year too (I really really hope so!). Mine is a home attached so hopefully it will cost less to heat.

-renee

• birdwidow
    17 anni fa

If you going to sink your GH floor 4 ft., you don't need one as high as it would be if set at ground level, unless you want a 12 ft. high interior.

Talk with Kyle at BC, because you may need only what would be the roof and a bit of side wall, which might be less costly. (1-888-391-4433)

You probably wouldn't want to give up any space in your GH for stairs, so as Renee suggests, have your steps outside.

Do you get a lot of snow that would make an open stairwell difficult, or even dangerous? If so, perhaps a roof over it, or a pergola.

Come to think on it: why not a ramp? Then you could wheel stuff in and out.

Lots of possibilities!

• adustyboot
    17 anni fa

I just completed my long search for a greenhouse and like some of you I opted for the Cross Country from BC Greeenhouses...am thinking of the drop door option so that I may gain a couple of feet on interior height...does anyone out there have any suggestions and/or pics that would be helpful for me...like birdwidow I am going with the 12x16 Anniversary...can't say how excited I am that the selection process is completed and really want to get the ball rolling now...thanks for any help and encouragement comes this way...rick

• birdwidow
    17 anni fa

Rick:

You won't be disappointed with your CC, but for advance planning, do ask BC to email the PDF instruction manual to you. Call them now, and you will be able to start reading it before you even have the crates of GH.

BC doesn't charge for door drops, so all you need to do is make very sure of the exact height of your kneewall, and order the drop for that exact measurement.

The most time consuming and heavest labor job, and the one to which you need to give the most consideration and advance planning, is your foundation.

Once we were ready to actually erect the GH, it took my husband very little time or effort to assemble the front and back walls and lay them down in front and back of the foundation, ready to go up, like a barn raising, and for a 12 x 16, the only time more that one man who knows his way around a screwdriver and socket wrench is REALLY necessary, is the installation of the ridge bar and heavy trusses.

My 72 year old husband and our two sons had it all up and ready to cover in 4 hours. Every single piece fit exctly as it's was supposed to and there was not a single nut, bolt, screw or connector misssing or off measurement.

I can't say enough good things about BC or their products and especially, their dedication to absolute customer satisfaction.

One last thing: DO NOT be shy about calling Kyle, and ask if you aren't sure. He told me that as they made improvements to the designs of the GH's over the years, customer input has "written" the instruction manuals.

I wish the makers of electronic gadgets would take that tack, instead of issuing instruction manuals only electronic engineers can make sense of.

Quality of materials, design and superior crafting aside, the best part of my decision to buy a BC greenhouse, has been the ability to talk with the mfg. every time I needed any help, as we planned and built.

BTW: DO NOT tap any of the painted bars into alignment with a hammer. Rubber mallet only.

But, just in case; your GH will come with a spray can of touch up paint and if you get really careless, Kyle will send you another and not even chide you for being clumsy.

BC is truly, a Class Act.

• hans_edwardsandhill_com
    16 anni fa

I really enjoyed reading these posts because I too am considering getting a Cross Country greenhouse from ACF before the 2007 winter begins. Since I was on a limited budget, last fall 2006, I bought a very inexpensive greenhouse (Sundog line of greenhouses) with disasterous results. Let's just say I lost my 3 year old dwarf mango tree due to that poor greenhouse. I don't want to make that mistake this winter and want to get the best greenhouse that my limited budget can buy and Cross Country appears to fit the bill. I am considering the 10"Wx12"L Cross Country straight eave greenhouse. I am leaning towards the Exhaust Fan System versus the automatic vents. Does anyone have any feedback on which is better to grow tropical plants; esp. during the winter. I am weary of vents because it gets very hot in Maryland in summer and I don't think the vents can keep it cool enough to grow plants plus the vents blew off my last greenhouse in the middle of a snow storm so I am weary ... what a nightmare that was for me and my plants. Anyway, I was thinking of getting the exhaust fan system with 2 additional side vents for added air circulation during the summer months. Is that a bad idea? Should I call the now infamous Kyle at BC? Ok ... I'll stop babbling. Take care and thanks for your time.

Hans

• birdwidow
    16 anni fa

Hans:

Short of being picked up by a genuine hurricane or tornado that lifts entire roofs off of houses and dumps cars onto them, the roof vents on a BC GH will not blow off and if they did, BC very likely would, with great contriteness; replace them.

However, if you need to really cool a GH, you also need some extra height and that's particularly easy with a straight eave, that I probably ought have bought myself, but didn't because I fell in love with the look of the curve. Had I to do it over again, I'd have "sacrificed" asthetics for practicallity and bought a straight eave.

There has been a lot of debate on this forum regarding the use of ceiling fans in GH's and I believe that slowly but surely, those of us who have them may be winning converts. They are cheap to buy and will outperform any HAF fan or even an intake vent/exhaust fan set-up, but for them to do the job, you NEED the roof vents.

But you also need headroom to mount them and why the straight eave makes it so simple to get it. Besides, the taller the ceiling, the easier it is to cool the space below it.

Just mount your GH on a kneewall tall enough to get your eaves at least a full 8 ft. up from your eventual floor, and mount at least one, better two, outdoor ceiling fans directly under the roof vents.

Then, mount your intake vents as close to the ground as possible and again; if I knew then what I do now, my kneewall would be higher; tall enough to have installed the intake vents in it, instead of through the polycarb.

Not only would it have eliminated the need to go to so much effort to seal around the cut-outs in the polycarb, the closer to the ground you can get the intakes, the cooler the air will be as it's being drawn in.

I am not saying that wall mounted exhaust fans are useless, but given the choice between low mounted, north facing and shaded intake vents coupled with some powerful but silent ceiling fans- the ceiling fans win hands down.

Then, in winter, when the roof vents are shut down for the season, the ceiling fans reverse, to send the warm air down. It's really just an application of basic physics: warm air rises, cool air falls, so I use ceiling fans to pull cool air up from the floor in summer, to cool the using space, exhausting it through the roof vents, and then to force the warm air that rises inside in winter, back down to the floor.

I'll not go into all the details here. Just look at some other posts on the subject.

Kyle is waiting for my photos of the aluminum angle we used to fabricate the ceiling joists that serve as mounts for the ceiling fans. I have the photos. Now I just need to figure out how to send them to him. But the key was the heightened roof, because the purlins were the base for the joists that must be high enough to to keep the blades at least 7 ft. above the floor, and if the GH user is very tall, even higher.

BTW: The roof vents will passively exhaust warm air on mild days, and by doing so, cut energy use, although my biggest thing on the fans is in having two, and running them in opposite directions in winter, to maintain continual air circulation.

• islandman
    16 anni fa

Birdwidow

Thanks for your detailed reply on different ventilation options for the greenhouse. I did speak to Kyle at BC Greenhouse to get some feedback from him also. He is very knowledgeable and helpful. He seemed to be leaning more towards the roof vents versus the fan ventilation system but said I could go either way. He said it is always easier to add a ventilation system later than roof vents if I decided I wanted to add either later. My cousin (who will be helping me with putting together the foundation and greenhouse) doesn't want to get roof vents since he said our winds are too high on the hill where we live; especially in the winter. Do you think 2 side vents would work good with a fan ventilation system? I will have to make a decision on the Cross Country greenhouse by September 17th since that is when I plan to order the greenhouse. It's starting to get cold here in Maryland so time is running out. I'll keep you posted. Thanks.

Hans

• birdwidow
    16 anni fa

Hans:

I'm sorry I wasn't here to see your last post before today, because if you have already ordered your GH without roof vents; as Kyle told you, retrofitting for them later will be difficult, as you would need to remove the polycarb panels on those sections of the roof, then refit the vents into place.

Your cousin knows far less about BC GH construction than does Kyle, and if you really did have such strong winds they might tear the vents off, a simple solution would be to simply use heavier hardware. The hydraulic vent openers also hold the vents shut. In any case, should you ever need to exhaust excess heat in winter, the last thing you need to open are the roof vents.

However, in summer, the hot air inside of your GH will need to be vented out, and it will persist in moving up to the roof, regardless of wall mounted exhaust fans.

• mulchlady
    15 anni fa

I know that this is a very old post, but it is right on topic for me because I am in the process of choosing a new greenhouse. I was pretty much sold on a 12x16 from Charley's greenhouse, but I also looked at the Cross Country and I'm kind of interested it that one too.

Now that you've had a chance to live with your CC, do you still like it as much as when you first wrote about it?
    What advice could you offer me as I take a second look at both CC and Charley's.

• siegel2
    15 anni fa

Still love mine. Had to put up some shade cloth because it got too hot inside.

{{gwi:291513}}

Here's somethings that grow inside.

{{gwi:291514}}

{{gwi:291184}}

{{gwi:291185}}

• birdwidow
    15 anni fa

Which GH from Charley's? They sell other GH's besides BC Greenhouses Cross Country models, but if the Charlie's GH you are looking at is a Cross Country, you can get it cheaper elsewhere. Try ACF for starters.

I still love my Cross Country GH, but if I had it to do over, would have set it on a much higher kneewall, then asked BC (the mfg.) to drop the doorframe to fit a stock sized, full height storm door, then seen if they would have reduced the price by leaving out the door and bought a super insulated one at a local home center. The door supplied with the GH was my only issue with it. We replaced it with a solid wood core vinyl wrapped one we bought locally, but had to trim 4 inches from the height for it to fit. It's otherwise a standard 32" width.

Other than the door that came with mine, which I was informed was an issue BC was addressing, and that was several years ago; the GH, particularly the sheer weight and structual intregrity of it, is everything BC claims it to be- and then some.

I can't stress enough the value of a higher ceiling, especially if you plan to use the GH all year. My two big ceiling fans continue to make a huge difference in keeping the GH cool in summer and warm in winter, but to mount them takes some height.

Mine are high enough to safely walk under, but I'd be happier if they were set 2 ft. higher. Also, the higher the ceiling, the cooler the space below where you work and grow will be in summer, especially with big ceiling fans set directly under the roof vents, pulling cooler air up from the floor and out through the vents. Then reversed in winter, they push warm air down to where it's needed, although I run mine in opposite directions.

The one closest to the heater, which is mounted near the floor, turns to pull air up and the fan at the opposite end of the GH turns to push air down, resulting in continually moving air that holds at near the same temp in every corner of the GH, top to bottom.

Adding height is so easy too. Just build a kneewall and tell CC it's height. They will adjust the door drop to accomodate at no extra charge. My kneewall is only 1 ft. It should have been 3, and having the first 3 ft. up of the wall a solid structure makes insulating where it's so needed all that much easier, and effective.

• siegel2
    15 anni fa

I agree on the need for height. My kneewall is almost four feet high which gives me about a 12 foot ceiling at the peak.

• krayers
    15 anni fa

I bought a Cape Cod BC Greenhouse (10x16) & put it on a 2.5' kneewall. We have extremely high ceilings (I think around 15 or 17 feet) at the peak. I have a whole level of very large plants hanging on the purlins and can walk under them with no problem. That leaves us with a lot of room underneath for shelving which we use for more plants and for starting cuttings & seedlings. The high kneewall worked out great & looks really good. We covered it with stacked stone on the exterior. They are great greenhouses. I think you would be pleased.

Kim

• bitterwort
    9 anni fa

This is an old thread, but I hope those of you who previously posted about your Cross Country greenhouses might see this and respond. Are you still happy with the quality of your greenhouse after using it however-many years? Have you experienced any issues during that time and, if so, are you pleased with the support you received from BC Greenhouses?

Also, it seems as if most of you who posted earlier have larger models, but has anyone purchased the Sun Garden model? If so, what do you think of it? Did it go together well, seem as sturdy as you'd hoped? When did you buy it? Was your experience in dealing with the company (BC) good, even though you were buying a lower-end model?

Thanks for any help you can provide!

• thegreenhouseguy
    9 anni fa

Bitterwort,

I work for a greenhouse dealer that sells BC Greenhouse models, and I can assure you that this is a top of the line greenhouse. In my years in the business, we have carried a multitude of different greenhouse brands and BC Greenhouses is without a doubt, a top-level company in terms of both quality and customer service. We have customers calling after 15 years saying that everything is as good as new except for the occasional broken pane of glass from nearby lawnmowers. We put one up for display last week and it took two of us about 6 hours, although one of our builders can go set up an 8x8 and be done within 4 hours. The design of the frame is perfect and well thought out so everything goes together snug enough so no outside air gets in, but not so snug that it's difficult trying to get the parts to go together. The Sun Garden model is a customer favorite, although I don't like it much simply because it's an extremely difficult greenhouse to crate with the curved side wall/roof bars. It does seem more sturdy than the straight eave counterparts though. I'd rather not say which company it is that I work for because I know this site isn't for advertising, but you should know that these greenhouses are the best you can get and I can guarantee that you won't be disappointed. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask away and I'll do my best to answer them.

• bitterwort
    9 anni fa

Thanks, greenhouseguy! We decided to take your advice before you offered it. We ordered it and had it up by the last day of March and had it filled up with seedlings a day or two later. Building it was mostly pretty smooth and we're really enjoying it so far! We were a little concerned about the vent staying open in the rain, but haven't gotten any water inside yet, and having an actual door is a real luxury after having to deal with a zipper on our temporary greenhouse. We're liking the frame options for little shelves and other add-ons too, and it's a really pleasant work environment. So, good advice, greenhouseguy!

• abkrol51
    8 anni fa

Hi bitterwort,

Thanks for the most recent posts on the BC greenhouses. I'm planning on purchasing one soon, as to take advantage of the winter discount, but it still seems expensive. I'm planning on going with the double pane walls and roof. What type did you purchase and are you still happy with it.. Any information would be helpful.

thanks.

• bitterwort
    8 anni fa

Hi, abkrol51

We went with the Sun Garden because we had only a very small space for it (small back yard). It has the double-layered polycarbonate roof/walls. We also raised the base walls about 2.5 feet (4x6 timbers) and had BC drop the door accordingly, which makes the whole structure a bit taller. We're still delighted with it! We haven't had any huge snowstorms yet (only maybe 3-4" at a time) but except for the roof vent area, the snow just slides off the sloped sides as soon as the sun hits it and warms up the interior. We're having a relatively mild winter (for Minnesota), but so far the rosemary, sage, artichokes, and swiss chard inside are holding their own, which is kind of amazing. We're very happy with it (and only wish we had more space for a larger one).

• abkrol51
    8 anni fa

Hi bitterwort,

thanks for your response and the info. I'm here in Chicago and it has been a warm winter. Nice for a change. Good to hear that the snow slides off quickly as we are moving along the lake in Wisconsin and will have plenty of snow.

So glad to hear that you still happy about your purchase. thanks again and happy gardening!

• abkrol51
    8 anni fa

To willisjw, your blog is great and photos are amazing.Thanks for sharing!

• willisjw
    8 anni fa

Just giving back. Comments on Gardenweb were very helpful when I was trying to decide what to do.

• PRO
    Meridian Estate Greenhouses
    4 anni fa

In the event that anyone might read this, I am the Marketing Director from BC Greenhouses and we do have several retailers throughout the US and Canada that sell our line of Cross Country Hobby Greenhouses for decades back before brand was an issue. I know it's confusing but Charley's is one of our dealers that renames the greenhouse to create distinction from us and other retailers. They call it Solar Gro, Phoenix, Sun Juan, Sussex etc. They are longtime friends and the lifetime warranty applies. Also, our team generally will handle technical calls or questions too.

Sponsorizzato

Ricarica la pagina per non vedere più questo specifico annuncio

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".