Houzz Logo Print
melyndas

Reupholster or custom slipcover?

Melynda
9 anni fa
Closed on the new house yesterday, and already going through my furniture to decide what will make the move! I really love my big couch (well, not exactly a couch...it is the right and left sides of a sofa-lounge so it is more of a giant bed with arms and a back...super comfortable for people who never "sit" on a sofa) but I really would like a different color. It is less than 2 years old, in perfect structural shape and the fabric is in quite good shape, but it the color was a compromise when I bought it and I don't want to design my new place around something I don't love. I am very handy with power tools, but me and sewing machines do not get along, so this is one project I can't do myself. Any suggestions on deciding which option is more practical?

Commenti (17)

• PRO
    Decorative Philosophy
    9 anni fa
    Shouldn't be that expensive to slip cover. But think about doing it in a fabric you can throw in the washing machine. Maybe this piece is used in a casual room and you have some fun with pillows........
    Regards,
    Karen & Joseph
    for Decorative Philosophy
    Melynda ha ringraziato Decorative Philosophy
  • Jean Benelli
    9 anni fa
    Decorative Philosophy I don't know where you live but here in San Diego the labor and fabric cost of making slipcovers can be the same as upholstery. The size and style of the couch would take over 20 yards of fabric and up to $800 in labor. Total cost of slipcovers may cost $1200. Melynda you might want to buy generic slipcovers and live with the furniture until you can buy what you want.
    Melynda ha ringraziato Jean Benelli
  • PRO
    SK Designs
    9 anni fa
    I advise my clients that slipcovers can be more expensive than upholstery (same amount of fabric as upholstery, but labor can be more expensive), but slipcovers offer the flexibility of changing the look of the sofa and can be washed (with the correct fabric selection).
    Melynda ha ringraziato SK Designs
  • Melynda
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    If costs are close, I would probably prefer slipcovers so I have the option of washing the fabric and I don't have to transport big awkward furniture all over the place.
  • PRO
    Wyland Interior Design Center
    9 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 9 anni fa
    In the Pacific Northwest, reupholstering sofas and chairs will take less fabric and less in labor than slip covering them.
    * Typically a slipcover can take 15% to 20% more yardage.
    * Keep in mind, if you choose a stripe, plaid or floral you will need to add extra for pattern matching also.
    * Look for a fabric that is railroaded, it will take less fabric.
  • Melynda
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa

After spending a month looking for the best way to re-cover this sofa - and getting quite excited about the creative possibilities - I finally had the chance to measure the space it was slated for...and there is no way it will fit into the room! So, while it was a bit of a wild goosechase, I learned a lot and it is already coming in handy with other projects. Many thanks to everyone who shared information here!

• kathleen MK
    9 anni fa
    What I don't get is how it cost the same or more to recover a sofa than buy a new one. Isn't the frame worth anything.
  • Melynda
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    Kathleen - it is a bit surprising at first, isn't it? But then again, it used to be a lot cheaper to sew your own clothing rather than buy it - and that isn't generally true anymore.

Material and labor costs in the third world countries many companies use now are so much lower than what we can get here (often low quality goes with that low price - and poor pay/quality of life for those workers) that to replace or repair part of anything made in those circumstances is not cost effective.

I admit that there may be less than amazing quality workmanship on my next couch...but that will be because I am going to be building it myself. I can live with that! LOL
  • originaljerseygirl
    8 anni fa

I always choose to custom slipcover my pieces; unless the furniture is sagging or broken or somehow not salvageable. This way I get exactly what I want; fabric, colors. And...I can change design style on a whim if I feel like it. The hardest part, for me, is deciding on fabric. Check this site out, they are awesome: http://customalleyslipcovers.com/

• PRO
    Comfort Works Custom Slipcovers
    6 anni fa

Hey! Custom slipcovers are definitely the alternative to upholstery - we'd know since we make them :)

Check out how we do it here: https://comfort-works.com/en/home/customized-sofa-slipcover-541

Cheers!

Chuck | Client Service Dude
    Comfort Works

• PRO
    coverissimo custom slipcovers
    6 anni fa

Hello Melynda, I think that if your couch is is less than 2 years old, the best solution is a custom slipcover easily removable and washable. Here you can give a look at our list price : https://www.coverissimo.net/prices-slipcovers. Cheers! Coverissimo

• Nona Fox
    6 anni fa

We make custom slipcovers from measurements and ship nationwide. Buyers provide their own fabric and we are SO much less expensive than upholstery! DIYslipcovers and you can find us on Etsy.

• PRO
    Subrtex Houseware INC
    5 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 5 anni fa

For an affordable solution, we suggest you could try Subrtex Ready-made Slipcovers start from 29$.

• Kat Kelson
    4 anni fa

Looking for advice . I bought two Lee industry sofas on a basically yard sale sight . I paid 600 a piece . They are beautiful but have a fabric that stains easily and cannot be washed . I had them evaluated at our local lee dealer and they told me each sofa would cost approx 8 to 10000 to replace as they are completely down and have a top fabric etc. The colour is discontinued and lee industries does not make slip covers for this style. Had a quote from a local craftsman for slip covers .. 8000 for both . Top pick for material (1000 rubes ) do I make the investment or buy something new . thanks

• Anne Duke
    4 anni fa

TttttGgggg, you should start a new post of your own. Your question is interesting and you’ll get more comments. My 1992 Lee sofa is out to the reupholster right now. I’m changing the back profile a bit and am really looking forward to seeing it.

• Kat Kelson
    4 anni fa

Thanks Anne , I will do that . Looking forward to some opinions.

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".