Houzz Logo Print
littleblee

Need help for my newly renovated basement

blee
9 anni fa
Ultima modifica:9 anni fa
I'm open to any suggestions at all for decorating our recently renovated basement. There is a lounge area at one end and a billiard table area at the other end which are divided by a central entertainment unit in the middle of the layout with walkways either side. The walls are painted in Dulux Lexicon Half Strength and the floor tile is a cool gray (with a greeny tinge in some light) so I'm hoping to warm things up a bit and add some colour, but not too much. There is corrugated iron behind the TV which is currently sitting on a beautiful piece of Cypress Pine. The TV will eventually be hung in the middle of the corrugated iron. The curtains I have chosen are a cool grey and go beautifully with the tiles. I'm now wondering if I need a rug for the lounge area? What should I hang on the walls? Should I stick to neutrals or should I spice it up with pops of colour? I'm thinking a nice plum colour might work? Should I put some large potted plants in the corners at the far end of the billiard table area? We do live on acreage so have lovely views to the outside. I am feeling a little overwhelmed with such a huge area to decorate and I am really am open to any suggestions so please take flight.....

Commenti (21)

• lucidos
    9 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 9 anni fa
    Great basement area! I don't think you need much to make this complete. The simpler the better and less to clean. If you can get us an image of the billiard area that would be great.

Your pallette is very very neutral and I would play off that seasonally.

What I suggest adding is a grey on grey (tans blacks whites work too) textured rug in the TV area. Moving the seating area back a bit so it doesn't feel squashed and fills the room more centrally.

Hang tall thin art sound panels throughout the area to make the ceiling feel higher and help with acoustics. These can be easily done with the rigid foam and wallpaper then a simple frame. I would do the panels in a grey on grey also. One type print that comes to mind is the Harlequin Entice patterns but I can see other types of artwork working.

For color I suggest a bit of the felt green color brought into the tv area. In the way of something simple like a bowl on the coffee table. Wedge tables between the sofas and chairs.

Seasonally add pillows and throws in whatever color works in the jewel color palette to fit your mood. Put storage ottomans under the tv unit.

If funds permit a small neat bar/kitchen area on the back wall in the 3rd image would be fantastic.

Another thought is grey solar shades on the sliding glass doors.
    blee ha ringraziato lucidos
  • blee
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    Thank's for the feedback Lucidos. Love the idea of the jewel color palette and the Harlequin entice pattern. Here are 2 pictures of the billiard area you asked for. Keep the comments coming...
  • peachyfairy
    9 anni fa
    A few large art canvases on the empty white walls would look lovely and make the basement look more homely. It would be nice to have the canvases themed to your interests :)
    blee ha ringraziato peachyfairy
  • Melbourne44 Melbourne44Musk
    9 anni fa
    Love the space, the style and the furniture but do not love the windows.They make that space look like a garage to me! You could get some bold Ikea fabric in black and white or colours and make floor to ceiling 'flat to pull back' curtains. I agree about a couple of very large paintings or make large painting sized fabric hangings. I agree that the colours a bit cold...maybe some good lighting could help at night.
    blee ha ringraziato Melbourne44 Melbourne44Musk
  • PRO
    Elements at Home
    9 anni fa
    Great space, I personally think you need some warmth plus some soft elements introduced. A rug to anchor the TV space and some soft flowy curtains...maybe a linen look sheer for a textural natural feel. I would do this room layer by layer. Start with these items suggested first and then reassess the space before introducing artwork and decorative items.
    blee ha ringraziato Elements at Home
  • christinerea
    9 anni fa
    A large rug will anchor and define the area in front of the television. I would use a rug big enough to sit all the furniture on. Also consider lighting, soft pools of light from standard or table lamps will warm the area also think about "warm" light bulbs. Large artwork (to your taste) on walls would work well. Be careful not to push things (potted plants etc) into corners as it can look like you are just trying to fill up the space.
    blee ha ringraziato christinerea
  • buzzyhenry
    9 anni fa
    Grey is a neutral so you are only limited by your imagination when it comes with what colour you want to add to the room. The room lacks warmth at the moment but that will change as you start to add layers. I would purchase a large area rug in a natural fibre eg wool to fit all the sitting furniture on. I would position the sofa looking straight at the TV with non matching side tables and a lamp on either side. On the tables I would add a few well chosen decorative items. If you don't want side tables then a console table could be placed behind the sofa with items such as candles on crystal candlesticks, a vase of flowers, a bowl of seashells, a figurine or whatever appeals to you. Then I would reposition the two chairs side by side facing the windows with a small side table between the two chairs. On the other side I would place a couple of comfy ottomans which can be used as extra seating without obstructing the view of your property.

On the wall opposite the windows I would place a cabinet or console table with a large mirror above. The mirror will reflect the view of your outdoors. As you have large blank walls you could also group some similar themed pictures or photos together all in the matching frames. When selecting the theme choose something that you and/or your family are really interested in as this reflects your personality.

To select pops of colour for the room my advice would be to choose your favorite colour then select items in different shades and textures e.g. say you choose blue then you could have a soft pale shade of blue for the drapes, then cushions in different shades of blue. A throw rug and the lamp shades in different blue tones but mix up the patterns. Depending on what style of rug you like you could incorporate all the different shades of blue in the pattern. Or go for a non patterned rug and place a tray on the coffee table with items which tie in with colour theme e.g. Small Stack of books, small plant in a colourful pot, glass bottles or whatever makes an interesting collection.

Hope these suggestions are helpful.
    blee ha ringraziato buzzyhenry
  • buzzyhenry
    9 anni fa
    The only other thing that I forgot to mention is that the room is currently very masculine so you may want to add a few feminine things. This does not mean girlie just items with curves or patterns with curves. Looking forward to hearing what you decide to do!
    blee ha ringraziato buzzyhenry
  • User
    9 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 9 anni fa
    bronze or copper organza sheers floor to ceiling against a medium/darkgrey wall always looks good and gives a room a intimate and subdued atmosphere

I personally don't like the corrugated iron and would replace with a modern timber laminate panelling Bring more darker tones into the room with soft furnishings, charcoal copper beige silver bronze, and some amazing WARM lighting for effect

Very sexy .... see these pics for inspiration....
    blee ha ringraziato User
  • User
    9 anni fa
    consider also how much can be achieved by changing out the pool table felt
    blee ha ringraziato User
  • PRO
    10 design
    9 anni fa
    The space looks a bit cold & clinical at the moment.
    Add sheer curtains to the window from ceiling to floor this wall
    Add some drama and also help to soften the look. I don't think the corrugated iron works use timber instead .
    A rug will better define the space perhaps with pops of colour like yellow , orange or red this will add some warmth.
    Prints on the wall , large pot plants side tables and floor lamps .
    In the billiard area it would look good to add a pendant lamp over the table you can buy ones specifically for billiard tables . More pops of colour also a couple of occasional chairs . You could also add more timber here to give more ambiance.
    Happy decorating .
    blee ha ringraziato 10 design
  • deanli14
    9 anni fa
    Seems the only lighting you have at the moment is the overhead downlights. I think you need at least one adjustable floor lamp in the TV area. There are some very cool ones about. An industrial style in either black metal or timber or both would riff off your seating and coffee table. You could also install a billiard table fitting in same/similar materials if so inclined. And yes, get a floor rug for your TV area! Charcoal and white in the current bold chevron or lattice patterns would look great.
    blee ha ringraziato deanli14
  • User
    9 anni fa
    To complement the green in the pool table, maybe introduce a plant or two. A jade plant is lovely, easy to care for & it is good luck if placed at an entrance. If it were in a concrete pot it would mesh well with the grey already being used.

Maybe some more vintage items like the coffee table, a turkish looking rug, a vintage fan, an old movie poster in a cypress frame. Downlights would keep it looking modern & highlight any beautiful timbers in the place.

A bookcase on the blank wall behind the couch would look great too.
    blee ha ringraziato User
  • blee
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    Here are some updated photos of the lounge side of our basement reno - new couch, new art work, new rug, new curtains. It's still not finished, but getting closer. I am planning on having a bookshelf with a cyprus pine top custom made to go on along the wall under the new art work. I am also having an entertainment unit custom made to go under the TV/Cypress Pine bench area but am not sure what colour/material to have this made in. I'm thinking of just making it white so that the cypress pine bench remains the feature in this part of the room - but I'm happy to get some feedback from other houzzers out there.
  • Barbara Dunstan
    9 anni fa
    @bbacc40,
    Absolutely outstanding, so homely looking now compared to how the first photo's were.
    Great job.
    Keep us posted.
    Cheers,
    Barbara
    blee ha ringraziato Barbara Dunstan
  • buzzyhenry
    9 anni fa
    Well done the couch looks super comfy and the rug adds warmth. The art work picks up the colours in the rug.
  • christinerea
    9 anni fa
    Good job! You must be happy with it.
  • PRO
    10 design
    9 anni fa
    That looks great . Perhaps a narrow hall table under the prints would really finish it !
  • lucidos
    9 anni fa
    I realize you have an exterior door there but the sofa seems to close to the TV. Is it possible to move it back a bit and off center it then add an Eames type chair and ottoman?
Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".