Houzz Logo Print
julie_watsonperris

Where to start to upgrade this kitchen?

I'm on a tight budget but hoping to update my kitchen and not sure where to start. Help!!!

Commenti (13)

• zazfuzzroc
    9 anni fa
    Hi, do you have any photos from houzz for inspiration? I think possibly change your lighting? Maybe your knobs/pulls on cabinets?
  • Julie Watson Perris
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    The trim and doors are the same color as the cabinets through out the house. I am thinking of painting all the trim white and eventually putting hardwood everywhere or maybe tile in bathrooms and kitchen. I allso would like new counter tops and maybe a backsplash? I think painting the cabinets would be too much work for me. And the bathroom cabinets are the same color as well. I was hoping to get ideas to modernize without painting cabinets. And no clue where to start!
  • lnsail
    9 anni fa
    I would consider painting the cabinets white to go with the white appliances. Right now things are chopped up visually with the contrasts between cabinets, appliances, multiple small rugs/mats, and kitchen clutter.
    It is hard to find storage for things like spices and small appliances, and the kids art work needs display, but all this together appears too busy. Some ideas would be floor mats that match your tile (or solid color outdoor carpet or carpet squares for easy cleaning) to replace the current mats and runner; A bulletin board on the empty wall on the left for the kids art and messages; and maybe add a spice rack and small appliance "garage".
    Good luck on your redo!
  • zazfuzzroc
    9 anni fa
    I think if you're planning to change your floors then you need to consider the counter you choose. You need some starting point. The counter and backsplash could definitely change the look, but it's your home not mine.... it's your call where to start. :)
  • lnsail
    9 anni fa
    Well, my post crossed with yours and I see that you do not want to paint the cabinets, so scratch that idea ( :
    I was focusing on a very small budget but with more to spend you could look at replacing the ceiling light and adding a backsplash. Do you plan to replace the counter or appliances?
  • intown123
    9 anni fa
    For me the floors would be a priority. If that is too costly for now, I would certainly change the lighting. As mentioned above, really depends on what you are able to do. For longer term, I think a black counter is a nice update to your color of cabinets as well as having all the appliances match. Use changing counter as an opportunity to get an undermount sink.
  • Shoghere Ourlian
    9 anni fa
    Change the light. Recessed lights or a newer light fixture.
    Walls gray. Red/blue/orange accessories or window treatments.
    I would suggest painting the bottom cabinets dark brown/ black. White upper cabinets.
    Remove the small rug. Use 1 larger rug.
    New countertop.
    Stainless steel garbage can.
    Stainless steel appliances.
  • PRO
    Arley Wholesale, Inc.
    9 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 9 anni fa
    Maybe start with a backsplash in between the cabinets and counters? Or repaint the walls?

Christiana
  • Julie Watson Perris
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    Thank you for all the great ideas! We are looking to spend around $2,000 initially and we are hoping to do as much ourselves as possible. This will take us longer but hopefully we can save more while the work is in progress to be ready for whatever will come next.
  • PRO
    Arley Wholesale, Inc.
    9 anni fa
    Is there a particular style you have in mind? (rustic, modern, traditional, etc.)?

Christiana
  • PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    9 anni fa
    Julie, I would suggest a few things.... first, don't rush - this is where many homeowners make mistakes. Next don't stress, get panicked, or frustrated - this should be fun! I would suggest getting an estimate for a new kitchen ( cabinets, flooring appliances etc... ) just so you know how much you will need to save in order to do the kitchen over ( you will also learn a lot in that process ). For the kitchen right now, change the tops - don't do granite! that will cost you more in the long run - there are many beautiful laminates on the market - do a "deck only " top ( it looks more current ), then find a nice tile backsplash. Please change the light fixture - you may want to do 2 fixtures to get the same light as that bigger one, but you may need to get an electrician in for that if you are not comfortable with that sort of work. Hardware on the cabinets will definitely change the personality of the space. You could look into regrouting the tile floor ( this is a DIY project if you are up for it )... get the color closer to the tile color. Of course find a paint color you love ( the colors from Benjamin Moores Historical color pallete are warm, saturated colors that go well with wood cabinets ).
    Good Luck - and enjoy!
Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".