Houzz Logo Print
deemcgmvb

How to improve this exterior?

deemcgmvb
9 anni fa
Hi all, I'm new to Houzz but loving it. We are in the process of buying our first house right now, a very exciting process! The house is pretty nice on the inside, but the outside to me is quite dull. I feel like a couple of small changes could make a big difference to it...it's just deciding what!

I've attached a pic of the front for you. The next few are a couple of pics of exteriors I really like, but I'd be open to any suggestions!

The main issue to me is that I don't think the color of the wood on the doors and windows really go. Would a different wood stain look better, or do you think cream or a light greenish colour would suit?
I also think the gravel is too "grey" , maybe a yellowy type of gravel might look better? I will also be ripping out that miserable bush and hopefully doing something a little bit nicer with the garden - or that is the idealistic plan - I've never done any gardening before so I might be biting off more than I can chew!!

What do you guys think I can do to improve on what's there?

(location - ireland)

Commenti (22)

• deemcgmvb
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    p.s. this is the type of green I meant in the opening question. Actually love the whole style of exterior in this pic!
  • sacapuntaslapioz
    9 anni fa
    it is a lovely house. all you need is landscaping and a proper walkway to the front door
  • deemcgmvb
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    Oh, WOW, Carolins! That is amazing. Just lovely! Even the detail around the garage, I wouldn't have thought of. Love it. Would you leave the bay windows the natural wood colour then? I wouldn't have thought of that either!
  • Carolina
    9 anni fa
    Well, I 'painted' them green too, but it looked weird to me. I'll do it again and show you. Hang on...
  • PRO
    Bill Fry Construction - Wm. H. Fry Const. Co.
    9 anni fa
    Landscaping in front of the house and garage will make it look more inviting. - Rhoda
  • Carolina
    9 anni fa
    Hmm... it looks pretty good now actually. Don't know why I thought it looked weird before. Anyway, always helpful to have a visual :-)
  • Carolina
    9 anni fa
    Yes, I do think that adding planting in front of he house softens the look, breaking up the connection between the gravel and the stone of the house.
  • deemcgmvb
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    Yes I really like that Carolins, and even the paintwork and planting makes the colour of the gravel tie in much better too - I don't think we'd have to change it after all. The driveway is fairly long too and the gravel extends around the back where there's a large parking area. So not having to change the surface would save a bit of money too! Thanks so much for all the advice. The visuals help big time.
  • debbie kingsley
    9 anni fa
    I would add black shutters to the windows on the lighter wall. Not the bay windows. Change the front door to black. Shrubs under the bay windows. Perhaps window boxes with flowers under the windows to add some color. And beautiful planters on either side of the front door.
  • debbie kingsley
    9 anni fa
    Also larger black wrought iron lights on either side of the front door.
  • Carolina
    9 anni fa
    The gravel goes very nicely with the roof colour. I think that if you add planting and some trees to lead your eyes up and away from the massive sea of it, that it will look much better. The mock-ups do show that.
  • Paula Lewis
    9 anni fa
    What about 6 massive pots?
    Two one either side of the bay windows and one on either side of the front door.
    (I too have a massive gray gravel drive way. Trying to plant through the gravel brings on a whole other set of challenges. Pots are just more practical, for me anyway.)
    I love those trees in the lawn area.:)
    And the green trim.

Also, how would that bright area around the front door look painted a shade a bit closer to the color of the brick and stone areas?
  • deemcgmvb
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    What a great and helpful community. Does anyone have any idea what that type of green is called?
  • leelee
    9 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 9 anni fa
    Your home is beautiful but it's plunked down in a sea of gravel. I really think that's what's causing you to think something's not right. The wood is fine. Looks like there needs to be some sort of covering for the front door.

First cut down the total graveled area by sodding in front of the foundation. Do you want gravel right up to your foundation and front door? Extend the sod from the house at least 10 or 12 feet out all around the whole foundation.
  • Carolina
    9 anni fa
    Something like this colour you mean?

Hmm... Pots are okay, but they do add another version of stone (ceramics), not really softening things up. Unless you do big wooden planters. I don't know what's under the gravel, but if you could make a border around the house and plant that up, I'd prefer that. It's less work than changing the colour of the entire gravelled area :-) Adding some photos for inspiration.
    Street View-Traditional Custom Shingled Home · Maggiori informazioni

Project on a sloping site · Maggiori informazioni

An Active Lifestyle · Maggiori informazioni
  • indianaj
    9 anni fa
    I love the wood windows! They add charm! Your problem is this house is in a gravel field! If you don't need tons of parking landscape, landscape, landscape! Perhaps a nice stone walk through lawn leading to front door from drive? Do not like the pergola idea. Do like the wrought iron lamp posts idea, they fit this style of home more. Home is lovely....sort of a modern Cotswold feel!
  • leelee
    9 anni fa
    Top dress the gray gravel with brown pea gravel and add a border for a more finished look.

Consider that walking in gravel with high heel shoes will not be easy. You might want to add some large stones that make a path through the gravel.
  • leelee
    9 anni fa
    Border could look like this. Fix the gravel around the foundation before trying to change the house. You might see that the house is fine as is.
  • ycity
    9 anni fa
    Landscaping and walkway as the first responder mentioned. Also paint or change the front door?
  • PRO
    Red Berm
    9 anni fa
    I think something that has not been mentioned is that you have 3 colors on your house. This breaks the face up a bit. If you painted the white a tan to almost match the color of the stone it would make the front face look longer and all the pictures you posted have two color houses not three. I personally have no problem with the wood color. I just think you have too many colors going on.
  • PRO
    Craycroft Design
    9 anni fa
    The front door could use a trellis, say 6' wide and 4' deep, to frame it and give some articulation to the flat front of the house, and stained to match the wood door and windows. Add some landscaping along the front with small stone patio at the entry and move the bench to the left of the door.
Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".