Houzz Logo Print
solarity

Need Help on updating an ugly fireplace!

solarity
9 anni fa
I first wanted to completely gut it out as I kind of hate the 2 sided corner fireplace, but the cost for what I wanted was a little high, I was unsure if I could ever get my money back from it. We did the kitchen instead. I am wondering if there is a creative and less expensive way to update this fireplace. A side note I would like to convert it back to wood from gas. I was thinking of replacing the mantel with one that has molding and is white. Also thinking of adding a couple slabs of blue stone in front of the hearth on top of the brick. Lastly anything else I can do for the screen? We like a more traditional looking designs for our 1979 Colonial

Commenti (53)

• PRO
    User
    9 anni fa
    My idea would be to take the brick off the left and right side of the wall, to the hearth have it look more like the bottom left picture, you could white wash the brick too. this would make the chimney more focal and the whole thing seem larger i think
  • solarity
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    Here is one photo, I will look for more, but as we are remodeling the kitchen, we have a lot in front of it.
  • PRO
    Cheryl Khan
    9 anni fa
    Paint the brick white and accent the mantel shelf with a dark, rich, and warming color.
  • solarity
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    I would have to contact the manufacture Majestic for this ~1979 firebox. Luckily they are still in business. I like the idea of removing the sides, though I think they are there more as function. In my research for putting a new fireplace, wood requires certain clearances for combustible material. Looking at the photos that you put, it looks like those have a little more clearance, than my fireplace as my fire box extends all the way back. If I can enclose a side, then I am pretty sure I don't need the side bricks to extend that far.
  • PRO
    Nergiflex - Foyers / Fireplaces / BBQ Montreal
    9 anni fa
    I would also paint the bricks. First use a concrete primer and then you can use regular water-based latex paints. Leave the bricks on the side walls, as they are there to prevent heat build-up on perpendicular side walls. Personnaly, I would paint the hearth a darker color thant all other bricks, as it would make a nicer contrast ans would be easier to maintain with the ashes. My choice would be charcoal gray for the hearth, and light gray or white for the rest.
  • Leigh Durand
    9 anni fa
    I would paint all the brick black. It would hide/integrate the screen, post and brick.
    Don't switch to wood, cats prefer pilot lights. ;0)
  • solarity
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    The propane company that we deal with, I have developed a hatred for. Wood is cheap in my area, I like the smell, and more heat. I am scared of painting them as the paint goes on a lot easier than it comes off =\ Though I won't eliminate it as an option.
  • Pat Griffith
    9 anni fa
    good luck
  • docck
    9 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 9 anni fa
    I painted my red brick fireplace with Brick Anew, but now that I have done that I could make my own "kit" It involves a base coat and then some dabbing or rolling on glazes. I LOVE it and would never want to take it off!!!!
  • sandradclark
    9 anni fa
    Have to be careful when dealing w/fireplaces, such as painting, covering w/something else, etc. Have you thought of going w/ a pellet stove insert. So ecological & in many ways more efficient. I don't blame you for wanting to get away from propane...it is so expensive in many areas. First I would check with Majestic for any wanted changes. I personally love the feature of the changing mantle direction. I do think you could add a blue stone, slate, or soapstone over the hearth bringing it a new dimension. Hey, the cat loves it the way it is, what more could you ask for. Just kidding. Do investigate a pellet solution though. I love the look of your fireplace.
  • solarity
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    Excuse the mess, the kitchen is open to the family/fire place room. We are rennovating the Kitchen. New cabinets, counter, paint, and backsplash. Have yet to paint as we will pick it from our backsplash. I spoke to my mom and she said to bring the kitchen into the fireplace by adding red-brown cherry mantle and maybe finding something that goes with the granite
  • solarity
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    Another messy picture, to give you an idea of the room. I am doing the whole kitchen with my wife. Only thing we subbed out was the drywall joints and granite.
  • solarity
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    Clean slate...
  • bh0952
    9 anni fa
    I also white washed the bricks to brighten it up.
  • housegal200
    9 anni fa
    I'm usually a red brick all the way person, but I must say that bh0952's whitewashing of a similar fireplace is the bomb!
  • PRO
    User
    9 anni fa
    yep i would still take the brick off the side walls. add the darker mantel, and i am wondering if you could re angle the sheet rock on the chimney? make it more angled like some above photos or just more slender to create more depth.
    or have you thought about going to a free standing fire place and getting rid of that whole thing?
    solarity ha ringraziato User
  • dspind
    9 anni fa
    I like bh0952 idea best. I don't think you really need to remove bricks though... if you can mount trim to them with some heavy duty nail glue. The white wash is a must, pulls it all together.
  • Sherry Stowe
    9 anni fa
    as a member of a family (4 generations) don't paint your brick.
  • Sherry Stowe
    9 anni fa
    as a member of 4 generations of brick masons don't paint the brick please
  • Sherry Stowe
    9 anni fa
    as a member of 4 generations of brick masons don't paint the brick please
  • dspind
    9 anni fa
    Why not paint? If you don't like it, you don't like it...Paint is the cheapest and most affective way to change the appearance of something you don't like the color of. White washing really isn't that much about painting as it is lightening it up.
  • solarity
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    bh0952, that has to be the first time that I have said "wow" for a corner fire place. I usually hate them! I like the screen, I like how you keep the red brick, but change them slightly and brighten them up with a white wash. I like red brick, though not the biggest fan of the way my bricks look now. Also, is that a screen or a window?

Fair lighting has also given me an idea. I am pretty sure I can't remove the brick or I would at least have to replace it with a non-combustible material. I wonder how it would look if instead of removing the bricks in the FL's photo, I paint them to match the wall, then white wash the ones he didn't mask over to give it a brighter look. I am going to be painting the wall a different color, than it currently is. I am kind of leaning to a lighter mustard or beige. I really won't be able to tell, until after we pick the back splash for the kitchen.

Lastly I still need to figure out what I am going to do with the "sitting area" around the hearth. My mom suggested using the same granite we used for our counter tops, though, I am unsure if I like the look of high polished granite on a fireplace.

I am also wondering if the mantel will be to dark for the fireplace? I do like white painted mantles. I have no white trim in the kitchen, though I was thinking of replacing the baseboard trim w/ white wood. I will post pictures of the kitchen so you guys know what I have in the same room. I prefer not to "clash"
  • solarity
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    Panty fridge side
  • solarity
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    Better shot of cabinets and counter top
  • solarity
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    @Sherry I am not the biggest fan of painted fireplaces, though I do not like to rule anything out, until I have thought about it. I have read that painting it can actually lower the value of your house 0_o.
  • bh0952
    9 anni fa
    It's both actually, glass doors that open to screen doors.
  • er612
    9 anni fa
    I like your mom's idea of matching the mantel to the cabinets. Instead of replacing it, can you stain it? Not crazy about adding granite to the fireplace. Do you need to replace the bench around the fireplace? If not, I would leave it. Adding another material will only draw more attention to it.
  • solarity
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    @BH, did that come with the insert or did you add it on to your existing fireplace?
  • PRO
    Get It Together Inc.
    9 anni fa
    Have you thought about using Annie Sloan chalk paint? I used 3 different colours for this client to update her fireplace. Although this falls with the gray undertone in my clients' home, there are a variety of colours to choose from.
  • PRO
    Art of the Anvil
    9 anni fa
    If you decide to go with metal work I can design and make a custom screen or door for you.
  • tatts
    9 anni fa
    Never paint brick! Bad idea. Especially black! Yikes. Who wants to look at black painted brick?

One thing I would do (which I have done once), is bust out the raised hearth. Take it down to the floor and put slate or other stone that matches the level of the wood floor. Use the bricks from the hearth to mend the walls where the hearth joined them and the base of the fireplace.. It's not hard, and makes a world of difference in traffic flow and the look of the fireplace.
  • bh0952
    9 anni fa
    Hi Solarity, This is a before photo when I bought the house 2 years ago. The brass was replaced with a black metal and glass insert. The fireplace is wood burning. The white moulding and mantle was also added.
  • bh0952
    9 anni fa
    After
  • bh0952
    9 anni fa
    After
  • solarity
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    I actually really enjoy the raised hearth, it is a nice place to sit. I also like the that BH added to his fireplace, the crown does make it pop. I also see BH only hasn't it around the fireplace. @art of Anvil Those look really nice, but I am guessing I am looking for more for something that bh has around his/her fireplace. I would like to cover over the support pole, so it isn't as prominent of a feature.
  • Joy Anderson
    9 anni fa
    On the wall to the right of the fire place, you could place or hang a handsome wrought iron fireplace tools set. That would help integrate that area.
    Group your accessories on the mantle over the firebox areas, instead of stringing them out. Don't put anything in the corners. Instead of one large painting, use a grouping of paintings of varing sizes. Hang these only on the two walls above the firebox.

Paint only the walls adjacent to the firebox a strong color that blends with the brick color. Use a painted wood folding screen in front of the screened areas for interest and color. It should be four panel or two panel so it can fold around the firebox. In the photo below, the motif is not a suggestion for your room - only the configuration of the screen itself.
  • PRO
    Ladd Suydam Contracting, LLC
    9 anni fa
    My first thought was to make simple changes and to keep this as contemporary as possible. Hearing the wall paint color, I am making an assumption you prefer traditional or transitional. Either way, even with contemporary this photo would work. The placement seemed similar to your placement as well. Whatever you do, check your local codes for building around a fire box. Those codes will tell you how close you can be above the fire box as well as how far out over. You want to follow these for two reasons: you don't want a fire hazard and you don't want to have to undo or redo when you go to sell the property. You can call your local city hall for easy answers to this and many other building code questions. They are usually very willing to help and frequently receive questions of this nature. On a side note regarding decorating: the attached photo lends well to two small scale leather chairs. Have you considered a warm grey color for the walls. It would balance well with your warm kitchen cabinets and would tie in nicely to the style I have posted. you would be giving yourself a good foundation to alter your style preferences. whatever you choose, good luck!
  • Ann Danielson
    9 anni fa
    I'd bite the bullet and get rid of the fireplace all together. I wish I had gotten rid of mine......never use it and it is a big thing I try to hide
  • solarity
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    @Ann, I am really holding back from my inital plans, though that would have been about $10,000 for a high efficiency fire place that was integrated into our heating system. Fire is something that my wife enjoys. She lived in a ~1800s house that had 2 stoves to heat the house. I am pretty energetic person and fire is one of the few things that I can relax and be okay with doing nothing.

@Ladd: I think you hit it on the head and I guess you hit it on the head with my design style. I am very anti-trend. I like functional, low maintenance, efficient long term, and something that won't be a easily dated. Granted wood is higher maintenance than gas, though it is something I enjoy. I like the idea of the chairs and am interested in the idea about the paint color of grey. I need to figure out what we want to go with the tile for our back splash.
  • PRO
    K&N Appliance Gallery
    9 anni fa
    Hi!

A white trim would make all of the difference!

Best of luck!

-K&N Sales
  • PRO
    Ladd Suydam Contracting, LLC
    9 anni fa
    Have you considered carrera marble subway style? Again, very classic and can lend itself to many different styles. This would also tie in nicely with a grey wall. However, after looking at the countertops again, it might not be a great pair. You could always look at a glass subway tile or a white or creamy white subway tile.
    City Glam in the Country · Maggiori informazioni
    Kennebunkport Maine · Maggiori informazioni
    White Glass Subway Tile Kitchen Backsplash · Maggiori informazioni
  • PRO
    MFW Construction
    9 anni fa
    I would never recommend painting brick. As an alternative you could acid wash the brick or stain the grout. If you don't like the brick, I recommend changing it to a solid material. Granite, flagstone, marble, soapstone or some other material. Find something that fits you and your house, then remove the hearth and sides and start over. The best way is to wait until you can afford to do it the way you really want it done and then do it right.
  • everdebz
    9 anni fa
    If you like, use 'industrial' elements and organic shapes, distressed items, etc.
    Ira Lippke · Maggiori informazioni
  • Lynnie
    9 anni fa
    I like your idea of brightening it up. White washing the brick will do wonders. You can change the fireplace out. Personally, I like two sided fireplaces, but mostly if they are in the middle of a room, heating two areas. Otherwise, there is little purpose.

Some ideas for you. . .

Master Bedroom Fireplace · Maggiori informazioni

Mountain Craftsman Residence · Maggiori informazioni

Columbia Street great room · Maggiori informazioni

Old Oyster Retreat · Maggiori informazioni
  • solarity
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    I am liking some white wash, different mortar color. I want to add white baseboard trim and window/door trim on the first floor, as well around the fire place. Is there a way to blend it with the dark wood of the kitchen and light wood of the floor? I want it look like it should work together. I never have see a red-brown cherry with white crown, etc.
  • bh0952
    9 anni fa
    I found a photo of a corner fireplace that shows what yours might look like if you got rid of the brick on the wall to the left and right of the fireplace. This might help you visualize it. Your local building inspector can tell you if it is necessary to have all that brick, my guess is that it's not.
  • solarity
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    I found a manual for one similar to mine and I do need to have some non-combustable on each side. I think I will white wash it as you did, get a custom screen like you have, put a new mantel, and maybe put something on the heath stool. Thanks for all the help. Did your cover/screen come with the insert?
  • PRO
    Water Color Interiors
    8 anni fa

I like the whitewashing of the brick, too. It does wonders. And if you want to keep the red brick (if it's in good condition) as a contrast color in the room, that's okay too since it's classic. But some sort of trim and/or mantel needs to be added to update it. A plain red brick fireplace does not look good.

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".