Houzz Logo Print
dancingdeer

Tile pattern layout for 12x24 tiled

dancingdeer
9 anni fa
My tiler is starting to lay my tile in a 70/30 split.

The first pic shows what he has done so far.

Shouldn't the tiles be in a continual stagger pattern, as opposed to lining up in every other row? I've included a photo of how I think they're supposed to be installed.

Thoughts?

Commenti (21)

• debiemahoney
    9 anni fa
    I personally like the way he is laying your tile; you're the customer, so he would likely go with what you like. You have to be happy with it at the end of the day.
  • dancingdeer
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    Yep. I have googled up images for tile patterns for these size tiles, and have yet to see them laid this way. Of course this is at my second home, and I'm not there!!
  • Natalie
    9 anni fa
    Hi---yes, it can be done this way---as it's more modern. If that's not the look you're going for, then tell him to stop and stagger every plank. Hope this is helpful. Good Luck!
    [houzz=
    Interior Photography of Kitchen Remodel · Maggiori informazioni
    ]
  • Kelly
    9 anni fa
    Seems perfect
  • PRO
    Carpet Direct
    9 anni fa
    I have to agree with you dancingbear, the 12x24 plank style tile are very difficult pattern to work with. With thinking of a 5" plank wood flooring you make the pattern random with side by side butt edges no less then 6" apart. Personally I do not care when all the butt edges aligns up. Bottom line, an installer or tile sales person can recommend a pattern, but in the end it your decision.
  • dancingdeer
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    Patricia - the other picture I shared is the same pattern as what you posted.

I've decided to let him continue with the pattern he started. I talked to my designer friend, Debra Owens, and she said this is a better application (Broken Joint) for a smaller space, and with this size of tiles.

Also, although my tiles are Bedrosians Simply Modern, Dal-Tile also recommends this pattern for their 12 x 24 tiles.

Thanks for everyone's comments!
  • PRO
    Select Hardwood Floor Co.
    9 anni fa
    What @Patricia Colwell suggests above, is a similar approach to what we/I would do in a hardwood pattern for example. A three tier layout.

It has a nice, ALMOST random look that doesn't set up such a radical looking "pattern".
    Won't appear so "blockish". Unless, of course, that appeals to you.

Most floor guys will push for the simpler approach because it makes their jobs just a little bit easier.
  • annemariep35
    8 anni fa

what colour tile is this? sorry i know this was posted over a year ago….

• dancingdeer
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa
    It's Bedrosians Simply Modern, 12 X 24. I can't recall the color name...think it is Grey. Will have to check.
  • annemariep35
    8 anni fa

I thought it was a taupe colour. Thx

• dancingdeer
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa
    It does come in many colors... Here is the same tile in another of my baths.
  • annemariep35
    8 anni fa

Looks great!

• J K
    8 anni fa
    Your tile looks beautiful! We are planning a similar 12x24 tile and the manufacturer recommends laying at a minimum of thirds. The reason is because the tiles are somewhat cupped. Laying them staggered at half can result in the edges not being flush or even. One of my contractor's main guys said he laid tile that specified thirds in a brick pattern and he regrets it and would not recommend it. My contractor says you can get away with it on the walls, but he does not recommend to do on the floor unless the manufacturer specifies it can be done.
  • PRO
    Gumtreee Enterprises, L.L.C
    6 anni fa

As someone who lays tile I will typically "Dry Lay" the tiles for the customer to preview. That way there is no issue about pattern. Some sizes of tile will need to be laid a certain way in order to prevent "Lippage" That's because typically larger tiles will have doming whereas they do not lay flat.

• Marcia Rodriguez
    6 anni fa

If you look at your tiles from the other direction your tile is like the picture you posted. It is correct.

• Marcia Rodriguez
    6 anni fa

I see what you mean, it is different from the other pic.

• PRO
    Invision Design + Build
    5 anni fa

I agree with you. It is called 1/3 offset and I agree that only doing one row 1/3 and not the second row looks wrong.

• PRO
    Caldwell's Tile, Inc.
    3 anni fa

This is more correct than doing a 50/50 brick joint pattern. Lippage is problematic in long tiles so any over 18" should be in "thirds" to decrease

• Lisa
    2 anni fa

Appreciate all the insight on this! Very helpful.

• Rocky Dunfee
    20 giorni fa
    Ultima modifica: 20 giorni fa

The first pic is a true 70/30… the second pic is not, it‘s 1/3 offset. The reason the two rows repeat on a 70/30 pattern is because the third row will throw off the pattern. You can actually see this in the picture with the toilet

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".