Houzz Logo Print
paradox44

What should I do with this faux fireplace?

Jennifer Porat
9 anni fa
Ultima modifica:9 anni fa
We moved into a brand new home and our decorator designed a faux fireplace for the living room. She said the room needed warming up. But now that we are moved in, the fireplace just seems so overwhelming and busy. I've had other designers come look at it--some say to take it down; others suggest painting it white. Advice please!!!

Commenti (764)

• PRO
    John James O'Brien | Inspired Living, by design
    8 anni fa

Paradox 44, I am so glad to see what you have achieved after the earlier experience--congratulations!

• greenfish1234
    8 anni fa
    Are those the same floors?? They are beautiful!
  • Norman Mills
    8 anni fa

Well, that fireplace is indeed awful. However, painting it in white is not a great idea. I suggest you put some dark brown elements in the room - textures, a rug, curtains. Rebuilding it will cost you more than just simply adapting the room to it.

• Jennifer Porat
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

Green fish--yes, same floors!

• PRO
    JP Weber Design Consultant
    8 anni fa

some of my work · Maggiori informazioni

I think if you add a horizontal mantle

• joannpb
    8 anni fa

Should someone check in periodically to repost that the problem is solved and the results are wonderful???

• User
    8 anni fa

Another perfect example of why OPs should be allowed to close their dilemmas.

• PRO
    User
    8 anni fa

I made an observation. truthandjustice came out of nowhere, only has commented with this discussion and had the skills to determine who the designer was?? Can I not ask the poster how he/she knew who the designer was? I did not come out and accuse/imply. I like to let people speak for themselves. I do not like people speaking for me;)

• Jennifer Porat
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

Truth and justice is my brother!

• Jennifer Porat
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

The "faux" designer threatened to sue me for defamation if I poorly reviewed her work, and since she is an attorney and not really a designer, I was too intimidated to name her. My brother, on the other hand, insisted that it is my right as a consumer to name her. I refused, so he made his own Houzz account and revealed.

• User
    8 anni fa

LOL paradox, I knew truthandjustice was closely tied to you;) Sweet you have such a loyal good brother!

• User
    8 anni fa

BTW- Mr. Ovchinnikov has been taking the words out of other people's mouths on several threads. He is a comment plagiarist and most likely a faux persona;)

• User
    8 anni fa

''comment plagiarist '' Hah! Great term for a spambot!

• User
    8 anni fa

Sophie- are you making fun of me?

• motupeg
    8 anni fa

We are all so happy that you now have a happy serene home. Love your brother.

• User
    8 anni fa

@Margo - great term... I noticed the same thing and came to the same conclusion but couldn't put words to what he was doing. Why is another whole can of worms but I feel sad that someone feels they have to use other people's words and not their own.

• Maureen
    8 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 8 anni fa

Challenges make us stronger and wiser...(too bad they create wrinkles as well). The final results are truly lovely and hopefully the struggle was well worth it. You were fortunate in that you were able to correct, adjust and move on, as I'm sure many people the "decorator" "designed" for are not so lucky - poor them. Enjoy your beautiful home.

• trizacmar
    8 anni fa
    It's fake .... Take it out
  • User
    8 anni fa

Margo, I'm laughing at the stupid spambot, and the clever description of the same. And just waiting on when the other shoe drops with the spam.

• User
    8 anni fa

Sophie- fill us in. I am such a non techie? What is the purpose and what spam could this guy drop??? splain it to me lucy ;))

• Luke Buckle
    8 anni fa

Hi @Margo, We are investigating this Moscow-based 'comment plagiarist'. Indeed, something is awry. - Luke

• Kendra Harris
    8 anni fa
    She only works in orange, and has one style. Of course you need to take that fake fireplace out. She's a complete nut job. Never pay her, and make sure all your shared friends come over and get an eye full. She tried to bamboozle you, that's why you didn't realize how much you hated it at first. It's not your fault.
  • User
    8 anni fa

Luke, Mr, Ovchinnikov is running rampant today!!

• greenfish1234
    8 anni fa
    That guy plagiarized on a post of mine too, it was immediately "liked" by 3 other Russians. So is this how it goes? Commenting in threads somehow marks them for a spambot that goes through and drops in ads to the threads??
  • User
    8 anni fa

I think we can probably call it "mocking plagiarism" at this point. This is going deeper than we originally suspected.

• greenfish1234
    8 anni fa
    I don't know, I don't think he takes the time to read the posts. Look how often he is posting- every minute or so
  • joannpb
    8 anni fa

Huh! Glad I saw this, I almost "liked" a comment of his on another thread...And it probably wasn't even his comment.

• User
    8 anni fa

No, it was probably mine then ;))))

• PRO
    Beverly Anderson Interior Design
    8 anni fa

I vote for taking it down

• Luke Buckle
    8 anni fa

Hi, The offending account that has been plagiarising comments has been suspended while we investigate what is going on. Keep on flagging any suspicious comments you may see from this or other accounts behaving similarly.

Cheers, Luke.

• lessismoore
    8 anni fa

Yeah that was some weird stuff. It almost looked legit, until I saw one comment, obstensibly from his account, where he was referring to the OP as "sis" - So bizarre!

• handymam
    8 anni fa

Beverly Anderson: it is down. Read the thread.

• joannpb
    8 anni fa

OK, this is me being petty...@handyman, Beverly wrote her comment 6 hours before Luke commented that the offender was suspended. Don't be so ready to jump in and scold, please.

• PRO
    Michelle Scott for Ethan Allen - Laguna Niguel, CA
    8 anni fa

Paradox44 - The afters are wonderful - So glad this is a page that can be turned.

It certainly was an interesting read - as far as threads go... I think that Houzz in general would be an interesting case study for people in the sociology field. Truth and Justice, a mocking plagiarist, "reading tones", this thread has it all! If nothing else, it kept me from dwelling on a client cancelling an appointment with me.

• handymam
    8 anni fa

Joannpb, I thought Beverly was saying take it down in response to the thread title. So please don't assume I was scolding anyone.

• PRO
    TheFurnitureCollection
    8 anni fa

Hi, I am coming in very late in the game and have just seen your fireplace. Congratulations for making it go away!

• joannpb
    8 anni fa

Isn't there a way of turning a discussion off to new posts? I just spotted this one, presented as if there was something current going on. There must be a couple thousand posts and for anyone new to figure out that the problems are long resolved would take days...just not fair.

• User
    8 anni fa

• User
    8 anni fa

@joannpb... look just below the comment box at the green letters that say "click to switch off notifications about new comments".... that will stop them from coming to your email.

• User
    8 anni fa

• lessismoore
    8 anni fa

@joannpb - and whynottryit. I think what she "means" is that very old posts, things that have been resolved, routinely come up as "related discussions" that reference something - e.g. If one was looking for info on a faux fireplace, or fireplace, this may appear. Especially if comments are still happening from time to time. So no, no way to turn this off as it may "relate" to a current issue looking for resolution. If you want to comment on "current-er" dilemmas, go to the "current dilemma" section beneath "related." Good luck!

• User
    8 anni fa

• teamaltese
    8 anni fa
    I'll make it 760, Chook!
  • User
    8 anni fa

I raise you 761

• joannpb
    8 anni fa

It doesn't really bother me to see it, because I have been in this particular loop since the beginning. I just feel sorry for the newbies.

...and there's 762! (Wow, is that all? Seems like more.)

• User
    8 anni fa

Its a really great read!!

• Jennifer Porat
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

Have I posted the before and after pics yet of the master bedroom and my husband's office?

• zazfuzzroc
    8 anni fa

Hi paradox, I don't think so?

Have a great holiday with your family! :)

• 3millionsold
    7 anni fa

I am sorry to say that I would definitely get rid of this faux fireplace. It reminds me of something out of a Grimm's Fairytale or some other strange off-kilter tale. I've had my own slew of designers, contractors, subs issues over the past year. I feel you pain. And this, too, shall pass : )

• rocketjcat
    7 anni fa
    @threemillionsold....good grief please read some of this old thread. OLD POST
Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".