Houzz Logo Print
webuser_71660

Going to the dark side

Tani H-S
9 anni fa
Hi all,

I love the idea of having one completely dark wall (chimney breast wall) in my Sth facing lounge. It's a through room so it has light from both sides (when it's sunny of course!) and I'm planning on using F&B Hague Blue that I've seen on lots of images on here.

I.e like this image attached

http://houzz.com/photos/11766468

However I'm a little worried about it being too dark, due to family comments, and so I'm wondering what to do with the alcoves if I just paint the chimney breast in this colour.

The rest of the room is brilliant white.

Commenti (36)

• Tom Flanagan
    9 anni fa
    I think having a dark focal point vs. white is a great feature to have, as it really lifts the room and gives it that attention-grabbing factor. This is one of my favourite images, really because of the contrast - proof that it works!
    https://www.houzz.co.uk/photos/544-union-brooklyn-contemporary-living-room-new-york-phvw-vp~17914811
  • Luciana
    9 anni fa
    Tani, post a photo of the wall you want to paint and I'll try to photoshop it for you (although I'm not very good)
  • Tani H-S
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    Thank you - @luciana I will try and get one tomorrow if I can.
  • chalkandbell
    9 anni fa
    I'm having the exact same thought but my problem is I have olive green velvet sofas so am completely stumped as to what colour I would use.
    Would love to see a mock up Luciana!
  • Luciana
    9 anni fa
    chalkandbell, post a photo of your room with the sofas and I'll gladly play with it! BTW, Dulux app lets you upload your own photo and then paint it in whatever you want. https://www.dulux.co.uk/web/visualizer/
  • Tani H-S
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    @chalkandbell oh I think that colour work work amazingly with any warm grey or blue tone! In fact I plan on having velvet green in the room somewhere.
  • chalkandbell
    9 anni fa
    Luciana, thanks very much but I've got to move first ha ha! Dreaming of the 'prettifying' keeps me going at the moment when all I can think about is all the horrid work there is to do. Didn't know about the dulux app, will definitely go and look at that.

Tani, thanks, hadn't really considered blue (blue and green should never be seen!) but a strong shade of blue might be the way to go. Grey I find a bit scary but there are some lovely shades out there. I also have a mix of furniture (painted and wood) and I know grey can really work as a 'neutral' to bring it all together.
  • Jonathan
    9 anni fa
    I think a dark wall finish doesn't make a room dark as long as the floor is lightish and not too covered with furniture
  • Alison Heppell
    9 anni fa
    Add purple to olive green sofas
  • PRO
    Rebecca Hayes Interiors
    9 anni fa
    Check out Abigail Ahern's paint range for some amazing dark colours. I would definitely be brave, or just choose to paint the woodwork in the dark colour. Remember to add lots of bright accent colours for maximum effect.
  • serenaribena1
    9 anni fa
    I've just painted my bedroom entirely in Railings by farrow and ball including skirting boards, coving, windows etc. it looks amazing and has utterly transformed the room. Don't do a feature wall do the whole thing, if you don't like it you can always repaint it. My style is very similar to Abigail AHerns so I have a lot of things to lift the colour in the room, just a bright coloured rug and a few pics and cushions can lift the colour. I would go for it.
  • chalkandbell
    9 anni fa
    Hi serenaribena1, all I can say us wow! And do you have a picture?!
    Railings is such a fab colour. I'm not sure I could get away with doing every surface like that in a living room though, a bedroom's a different a matter but you have certainly inspired me to be brave!
  • PRO
    Katey & Josephine
    9 anni fa
    Definitely be brave and go for it. I love dark coloured walls - there's something very luxurious about it. Add pops of colour in your soft furnishings and I doubt it will feel dark. Good luck! Kate
  • serenaribena1
    9 anni fa
    Yes I do have pics but they aren't very good am afraid.
  • serenaribena1
    9 anni fa
    And some more
  • serenaribena1
    9 anni fa
    Excuse the dog in his bed as he seems to be in every photo!!
  • PRO
    LANA FILIPPOVA INTERIORS by Svetlana Filippova
    9 anni fa
    In this white bedroom, the alcoves and the chimney breast are papered in dark brown and silver real wood bark wallcovering and they are a real focal point. The textures also add to the interest, better than just a painted colour.
  • chalkandbell
    9 anni fa
    Serinaribena1,
    That's very dramatic and I love your style. You have some great pieces, particularly that huge white mirror. The pale pieces really complement the dark walls.
  • Tani H-S
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    I will get a tester for railings as I think that Hague is perhaps a little too real coloured for my liking. I do like the colour, but not for my main wall.

Another option as suggested is some darker textured paper for the chimney breast and paint for the alcoves. Looking for paper is hard work. Ha ha.

Also, rather than painting the whole wall the same colour (if I go down the all paint route), can you have a lighter version in the alcoves? I'm not sure whether this has to be the same colour but just lighter, or if I should have a different colour or grey?!?

It's hard as I have only ever painted walls in all white with either one featured painted or papered wall. I don't do tones, ha ha
  • serenaribena1
    9 anni fa
    If you go to farrow and balls shop (or even website) they will give you a range of colours that go with the main colour you have picked. I would also paint a piece of card if you are testing paint rather than the walls as paint will look a different colour in different types of light so you can get a proper idea of how the colour changes throughout the day on different walls. You should google abigail aherns interiors so see how she works with dark colours as she pulls it off really well, plus Pinterest is also good for ideas. Good luck and apologies for the rubbish photos it doesn't look nearly as striking as in the flesh!!!
  • Tani H-S
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    @luciana - Ignoring the image names (I uploaded them with my mask designs, lol) - here is my lounge. I can't get a new pic at the mo as we have all the sofas pushed up against the chimney so this is an older one. The room is 15.5ft wide x 12ft deep (into the alcoves) so it's not a bad size. South facing large window at the front and huge bi -folds through to the other room. It will have a light/mid walnut gloss floor in to stop it from being too dark.
  • Tani H-S
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    Had a look at Abigail's paints - some really nice colours there. I seem to drawn to the really dark blues so I think I should stick to that palet. I love her lamps she's done for debenhams as well.
  • Luciana
    9 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 9 anni fa
    Ok Tani :))

My Corel is playing up (I think I need an update) so, because I promised and didn't want to keep you waiting, I used the Dulux web visualiser - a really simple, easy app.

See below the mock-ups with colours underneath. I tried different combination (I coloured your floors a bit - that velvet truffle - and the fireplace in some dark orange (couldn't find a brick colour).

Have a look and ask me if you need more details - although I think is self-explanatory :)) Let me know if you want other combination!!
  • Luciana
    9 anni fa
    more:
  • Luciana
    9 anni fa
    And, 'cause you said you like purple :))
  • Luciana
    9 anni fa
    Last batch :)) with the fireplace 'painted' grey
  • Tani H-S
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    Ha bless you! I tried that ap but it wouldn't colour all of it so I gave up!

I do actually like the whole wall done and in the night jewels tone. Think you might have got the purple mixed up with someone else, ha ha, but it still looks nice.

Thanks for your work!
  • Luciana
    9 anni fa
    It's your choice, but I honestly think a grey-white combination is elegant and classic. Black is cool too, but you need very strong, crisp colours around it, so it wouldn't dominate and that is an often hard thing to achieve.

Example: I like the interior below a lot, not for its pieces, but the perfect combination&proportion of colours. That is a strong red - it actually seem to dominate more than the black! There's minimal white in the room, mostly a clay grey - also the colour of the ceiling and armchairs... with all that you almost not even notice the colour of the table or floors. The room looks actually smaller than yours; there are no great pieces or furniture or even art (although the fireplace surround is superb!); what makes it stinking though is the colour combination and proportion and that's what I meant about a hard to achieve look (lecture finished :))
  • softball_girl_23
    9 anni fa
    I think it's to dark and I really would prefer a lighter blue if you want blue to make is stand out
  • Tani H-S
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    Yes it's a very snug looking room. It gives the impression of a room with no natural light - therefore taking advantage of the dark by going all out moody with that colour flash.

I do like the greys and that was my initial thought but I wanted to be a bit different and perhaps go for a blue black instead so it has a warmer tone to it. Perhaps even a really dark in the centre and more navy in the alcoves would look nice.

I do have lots of mirrors and plan to accent with colour to bring it to life.
  • Tani H-S
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    Hi all, so having tried about 5 different dark blue paints so far and not finding one I like, I've come to the conclusion that blue is a really hard colour to choose
  • Tani H-S
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    Oo thank u! Will have a look on my pc but the first one I just opened up looked spot on. Thank you!
  • Nuri Iko
    9 anni fa
    i think the purple luciana posted is nice. i think it goes well with black or ranges of black/dark grays
  • PRO
    Havwoods
    9 anni fa
    Have you considered cladding the wall? That way you could go for a slightly distressed product, which would break up such a dark block of colour.
  • Matthew Decorator
    9 anni fa
    Paint either side of the fire place white to off set the darkness in the room.
Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".