Houzz Logo Print
edubya

POLL: Does your house have a name?

Emily H
9 anni fa
You don't have to live in Downton Abbey to name your house. Does your house have a name?

VOTE and tell us about it in the comments!

Yes!
No.
Other - Tell us below!

Commenti (287)

• PRO
    Naikoon Contracting Ltd
    8 anni fa

We built one of the greenest homes in Canada a couple of years and called it Midori Uchi - Japanese for "The Green Home."

• Lisa Williams
    8 anni fa

Now that you made me think of it...yes, a couple of times. The largest I home I ever lived in my MIL dubbed "The Big House", which I didn't originally appreciate but it grew on me, as it was 4,200 square feet for my then, blended family of 6!

After a divorce, my 2 kids and I moved into an 1,800 sf townhouse, which really felt homey and we called it Chateau de Trois, since we were only 3 :)

My son is gone now, so it's only my daughter and I in a new townhouse, but we have yet to name it!

• eightpondfarm
    8 anni fa

We are named Eight Pond Farm

• Ben Hart
    8 anni fa

Things that get names in my life usually get them as a result of some sort of conflict they create. Apartments (The Hut, Bunker, etc.) and cars (Mudred, Pissy McGibbins, Morton Horsepipes, etc.) have gotten that distinction. Thus far, our house has been a dream, so no name. Same with our car... which has been a source of disappointment for us. A bit of a mixed blessing. No trouble; but no name to give these well loved possessions that little dose of character we so treasure.

• Judy Henry
    8 anni fa
    Ofc my house has a name. It's called home
  • mom3333
    8 anni fa

Way up above this comment, I said we call our house 'This Old House' because that's kind of how it started.

After we met, my husband would come over often (I was still living with parents) and often it was Saturday. This Old House was on in the afternoon, the old one with Bob Villa and we watched it. After a couple of years of this, we walked down the road a half mile, and saw a house for sale.

We bought a beautiful to us 1915 Craftsman, I'll leave out THAT story, and said, we can Bob Villa it. We redid the electric, heating, put drainage tile in the yard, refinished all the never-been-painted woodwork, and added 3400 on, and so much more, and basically Bob Villa'd it on steroids!

We did everything ourselves except when we added on, we hired a guy to build the shell

So to us, it's This Old House.

• Bev
    8 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 8 anni fa

We do not name inanimate objects like houses and cars but if I were to call it something, it would be the Cape Cod house since it is a Cape Cod!

• Dell Ann Melvin
    8 anni fa
    Yes, we call it "Home".
  • Dell Ann Melvin
    8 anni fa
    Or sometimes referred to as The Love Nest.
  • Lorita Lange
    7 anni fa

Of course: it's called Owen and Lorita's house.

• PRO
    Cabinets & Designs
    7 anni fa

We never knew some people actually named their homes!

• Sue Fountain
    7 anni fa
    Mon repose
  • Sue Fountain
    7 anni fa
    Sorry that should have been Mon Repos!
  • User
    7 anni fa

It's a small house, a little white brick rancher. We didn't name it a friend did when she saw it. Us ladies live in " The Doll House."

• Diana Allocco
    7 anni fa

The Taj. We started calling it that as a joke – mocking its pretentions as a mini Taj Mahal – and I had the name engraved on a plaque at the entry. (Although it is typical Florida fake "Mediterranean," the front facade has a bit of a Moroccan echo)

• alexandra55
    7 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 7 anni fa

Funny how those names start out as sort of a joke Diana, until you realize it sticks because somehow it "works". It's a very lovely home!

• Sharon Bittinger
    7 anni fa

I was telling my husband about this thread and the interesting names people have picked out for their houses. We're considering names but nothing is sticking out to us so far. Do you have a name for us? It's a 1905 Gabled Ell cottage and we're almost done with the remodeling (building a carport now). It's walkable to our downtown area and we sit on the porch a lot. The Porch Sitter? The Ell? Any ideas would be appreciated!

• buster57
    7 anni fa

It will come to you, after you decide on a name & possibly put a cute little plaque up! Hahaha. Isn't that always the case?!?! I don't know you but with the info you gave I vote for El Porcho. :)

• Roberto Fortuno
    7 anni fa
    I wish it did!
  • deborahwilson
    7 anni fa

We dubbed our rundown 1911 foursquare "Fallingdowne" after we moved in almost 20 years ago. It will never fall down now after extensive renovations but the name still sticks.

• ocotillaks
    7 anni fa

Relic Farm is the name of our North Central Kansas farmstead.

• La Fekken
    7 anni fa

Sharon, your home is lovely! Find a name that suits you, something personal or how you feel when you are in it? "Serenity Cottage" or "Sharon's Ideal." When you find the name that suits your cottage I'd love to know what you come up with.

• jonio
    7 anni fa
    Birch Lane Lodge. Our Beaver Lake home is on Birch Lane. A beaver's home is called a "lodge." It just fits!
  • Dennis Peatee
    7 anni fa

Six Poplars

• Sharon Bittinger
    7 anni fa

We decided to name our house Lil Bitt of Heaven after our dog Lily and our last name (Bittinger). It's fun to have a name for her :)

• PRO
    lickity split
    7 anni fa
    Belle Reese
  • Let Ritvalsky
    7 anni fa

our 20 acre horse farm in central PA is Blue Iris Farm, because the iris is the state flower of TN, where I'm originally from,...and we have the blue irises!!

• PRO
    Naikoon Contracting Ltd
    7 anni fa

It's so cool going back through all the names you folks have chosen for your homes!

• alexandra55
    7 anni fa

It is! and I'm very glad that to read that Sharon finally found a name for their home--it works!

• Wendy
    7 anni fa

Chez Elles. Our friends refer to me and my golden retriever as "The Girls" - so our house on Cape Cod is The Girls House!

• buster57
    7 anni fa

Sharon: OMG I LOVE IT!!! I love when people are so creative! AND it has such a deep and personal meaning!!!! Enjoy your Lil Bitt of Heaven. To those who don't name their houses - come one, give it a try. It's fun!

• buster57
    7 anni fa

Sharon: OMG I LOVE IT!!! I love when people are so creative! AND it has such a deep and personal meaning!!!! Enjoy your Lil Bitt of Heaven. To those who don't name their houses - come one, give it a try. It's fun!

• Farrel Lewis
    7 anni fa

I call our place in Arizona "Dos Pinos" because of the two pines that are on the property, but there is no formal sign or anything. I have friends in Montana who just built a place. They found a fox skull when they first bought the property and were thinking of calling their new home Ghost Fox which I thought was a great name! Our house in Alaska is nameless.

• PRO
    Gerety Building and Restoration
    7 anni fa

No name for mine, but love these answers!

• daisiesandbutterflies
    7 anni fa

We don't have a name for our house, but if we did, it would be the Love Shack, which was our unofficial wedding song. A second name would be the Beach House, because it looks like a beach house, even though we are nowhere near a beach.

• Michelle O’Driscoll
    7 anni fa
    O'Driscoll Liberty Teach (teach pronounced "chalk")
  • Jeanette David-Ball
    7 anni fa

"Wildernest" as we backed onto a nature reserve

• Gail Dalmat
    6 anni fa

Neat idea. Hard to choose one, though.

• Rhonda Parker
    5 anni fa

Ours is called "Singing Gables" because - when we moved in, it was a very windy day and we found that a ventilation pipe at top of Gable that vents attic made the most eerie, high pitched moans! Its scared one of our movers too death and he ran! Sounded exactly like you would expect an old Devonshire moors ghost from a Gothic novel to sound! Now we kind of enjoy this unique feature of our otherwise pretty boring subdivisionish, stucco house. Although it does scare my grandchildren sometimes in middle of the night.

• daisiesandbutterflies
    5 anni fa
    I always think of our neighbors house, a cute log cape, which sits on a semi wooded area, as “little house in the woods”.
  • maisondebois_56n
    5 anni fa

Well, we weren't cured (see previous post). Bought a 1850 fixer, biggest project ever for us. A good name has eluded us, however. We already used Wambly Hall on house #4. Hopefully nothing with the word Folly in it....

• djacob68z5sewi
    4 anni fa

I live in the middle of a city and the name for my house is “My House.” Ta-da!

• Angel 18432
    3 anni fa

Gee this post is so old, I can't find what I originally posted LOL

But it's good to get this post revived.

My grandparents house in the uk was called DONDALE after their youngest son Donald.

Instead of referring to the home as on Papplewick Lane, they would refer to the

home as DONDALE.

• lmkw17
    3 anni fa

Our home is named partially due to social media so we can tag where we are located, if we wanted people to know we are home, but it is also due to our family being HUGE Chicago Cubs Fans: The Friendly Confines of the Welch Household. I know, it's not very original, but we do want our friends, family, & guests to always feel welcome & relaxed when they are here. When our son married & relocated to Wisconsin he named his house too: The Friendly Confines of the Welch Household - Wisconsin Edition. I wonder if our daughter will name hers similarly now that she is in New York. LOL!

• Dana Veach
    3 anni fa

My Sis and I have named the home we are building around ourselves in the East Texas Woods "Resurrection Hill Farms" partly because not only is it a place for "new life" for us, but because the property was previously an auto wrecking yard, and we are slowly bringing it "back to life." The only "life" here when we bought it...other than all the trees (and even those had been compromised severely...) was snakes, lizards, scorpions, and spiders. Now we have deer, rabbits, song birds, hummingbirds, butterflies, and our gardens and orchard, as well as our goats, chickens, livestock guardian dogs, and our evolving cabin.

• kculbers
    3 anni fa

I was watching the series THE GOOD WITCH and there is this beautiful home they live in called GRAY HOUSE. Since then hubby and I call our home GRAY HOUSE (our simple house is gray).

• Nodie Sullivan
    3 anni fa

I built my house and had many setbacks due to excavator fiasco, county regulations etc. Several times I was so overwhelmed I thought about selling out. I was also living in a 5th wheel at the bottom of the lot with frozen hoses, etc and commuting to work all year round by motorcycle in the Pacific North West so lots of wet motorcycle gear! I read an article about the barred 'godwit'. It's a bird about the size of a seagull that can fly over 7000 miles non-stop! Quite a remarkable feat! So, my house was immediately named 'godwit' as it was the house that persisted!

• Dana Veach
    3 anni fa

Neat story, Nodie Sullivan...Congratulations on persisting and having a beautiful home to show for the effort!

• Angel 18432
    3 anni fa

Agree, your persistence paid off. Beautiful.

• sntierney
    3 anni fa

We are Hundred Roses House, though I’m about 6 shy of being truthful. Just ordered a sign for the front.

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".