Houzz Logo Print
lawsix

Expand Balcony DEck

lawsix
9 anni fa
Hello,

At present we have a 8’ X 16’ balcony with a beautiful view of Georgian bay, sitting up on secondary escarpment.
However our family has grown and we can only seat 4 people and our BBQ.

The issue is the tile bed runs out directly in front of house.
We would like to widen deck by 4’ to other set of windows and extend out an additional 8’ .
I have sent pictures and architect's drawing and site plan.
The septic tank is located directly under outdoor fireplace. The tile runs are off the present deck.

Please advise.

Graham & Jane Lawrenson

Commenti (8)

• PRO
    Dytecture
    9 anni fa
    Keep in mind the lower level would have reduced amount of daylight coming in.
  • lawsix
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    Yes we thinking of glass on end, possibility make the two corners angled with glass.
    Like your idea of rubber membrane, as yes we do sit underneath.
    The septic tank is not the issue, we are concerned re tile runs and supporting posts
  • Dar Eckert
    9 anni fa
    Just a thought. We are not allowed to build over septic tanks here in Minnesota & probably not a wise idea anyway for maintenance issues. Be sure to check this out with your state offices.
  • Dar Eckert
    9 anni fa
    Could you expand the current deck out as desired then just put a 6' walkway in front of the other set of windows?
  • lawsix
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    Deck will only expand on house to other set of windows, this will give us 20" instead of 16'.
    We are not planning on accessing from ground level, only from inside of house. If you look at site plan, runs of tile go out in front of present deck. How do we support new upper deck
    If we expand out 16' from house towards view, which would be to edge of concrete slabs ?
  • Dar Eckert
    9 anni fa
    The very first thing to do is check with the township or county about the rules. Then plan your deck accordingly. No sense to put effort into something you can't have.
  • PRO
    Scott Design, Inc.
    9 anni fa
    Agree with Dar Eckert...check with your building and health departments for rules. Then ask a professional deck builder what can be done. I emphasize PROFESSIONAL because permits are required and codes have changed for decks due to poor construction resulting in deadly collapses. A professional will know structural requirements and building options that can achieve additional deck space if posts and footings can't be used in a typical layout one of which is cantilevering using bracketing, specialty hangers, joist doubling, reduced joist spacing, etc. etc.
Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".