Houzz Logo Print
lrussell

What should I do for window treatments? And additional lighting?

lrussell
9 anni fa
Ultima modifica:9 anni fa
I'm torn between wood blinds or roman shades with some color??? Or full length curtains with nice black hardware??? Also..very dark because of front porch…I'm not sure a ceiling light would look god for this space?? Maybe wall sconces?? No idea..help

Commenti (30)

• User
    9 anni fa
    Wood blinds are classic. If you ever watch old movies on TCM you'll see that even back in the 1940s they had Venetian blinds. But if you want to keep the room light then soft white sheers or linen curtains would work. Roman shades are fine but they would darken the room and are less versatile in my opinion. Floor lamps, wall sconces whatever appeals to you. It's an attractive room. Don't go overboard on the window dressing. Keep it simple.
  • lrussell
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    That's great.. Thank you! I think I'll stick with wood blinds. I have them in our tv room that opens up into this room. For some reason I just thought I needed something different. Thanks again
  • Gloria Del Cid
    9 anni fa
    I think that white wooden blinds, the wide ones would look very nice here, drapes are nice but your ceilings are not to high and might look to crowded.
    lrussell ha ringraziato Gloria Del Cid
  • manhtuan
    9 anni fa
    I like this
    lrussell ha ringraziato manhtuan
  • PRO
    Decorative Philosophy
    9 anni fa
    Wood blinds, Plantation Shutters or nothing.
    Get a central fixture and find space for more lamps.
    Regards,
    Karen & Joseph
    for Decorative Philosophy
    lrussell ha ringraziato Decorative Philosophy
  • PRO
    The Classy Home
    9 anni fa
    For window treatment you should use white color fabric. for lighten up room use table lamps and floor lamps. wall mirrors are also useful, that reflect the light coming from the window. see living room design http://www.theclassyhome.com/comersus_listItems.asp?idCategory=348&Furniture=Living+Room+Sets
    lrussell ha ringraziato The Classy Home
  • User
    9 anni fa
    I find that at night an uncovered window looks like a black hole and I find this unappealing when sitting in the room.
    lrussell ha ringraziato User
  • cainsugar
    9 anni fa
    It does not look like a black hole because it reflects what is in the room. White trim, fabric, and reflection of glass tile from kitchen opens up the space.
    lrussell ha ringraziato cainsugar
  • User
    9 anni fa
    Sit in the room at night with uncovered windows and decide for yourself.
    lrussell ha ringraziato User
  • apocquette
    9 anni fa
    I would go with white linen roman shades which would brighten the space and also give it a softer look, I think the wood blinds would look too heavy and masculine. I would stay away from wall sconces as you don't have a lot of wall space so it may look crowded :)
    lrussell ha ringraziato apocquette
  • Sonya McBee Michael
    9 anni fa
    If privacy isn't an issue, I would go with light colored/white short valances hung close to the ceiling. Hang them on decorative rods or rods that have decorative finials to make them visually appealing. For the dark corners of the room, up-lighting will help brighten the space with indirect light.
    lrussell ha ringraziato Sonya McBee Michael
  • bonshome
    9 anni fa
    White wood blinds and get an electrician to add can lights in the ceiling
  • leelee
    9 anni fa
    The rug is too small for your space. Try pulling the sofa away from both of the walls and lowering the pictures so they're about 6 inches over the top of the sofa.
    lrussell ha ringraziato leelee
  • leelee
    9 anni fa
    Move the very dark painting and when the sofa is pulled away from both walls add a arc floor lamp in the right corner.
  • leelee
    9 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 9 anni fa
    Replace the rug with one that's wider but not as long. The front legs of both sofas should be on the rug.
  • leelee
    9 anni fa
    A smaller end table on the left of the sofa would work better.
  • triselmore
    9 anni fa
    You're not going to like this, but I think instead of investing in draperies, perhaps it would be a good idea to invest in a larger light colored rug, a light colored pillows for the couch, and a light colored coffee table to boot. If privacy is an issue, then I would consider cream dupioni silk draperies that extend well past the tops of the windows and great all the way to the floor. The last thing I would do for this room is add white crown molding and a corner lamp( or up lights). , if you can't afford to do recessed lighting
    lrussell ha ringraziato triselmore
  • summersas
    9 anni fa
    I agree!
  • PRO
    Made in the Shade Blinds Saskatoon
    9 anni fa
    I think that if you could mount the wood blind (or roman shade) inside the casement, then go with a set of side panels (mounted quite high and floor length) to add a finishing touch! Perhaps a throw pillow or two in a coordinating fabric with the panels!
  • PRO
    92nd Street Design
    9 anni fa
    We admit it - we're biased towards beautiful drapery. And in this case, for a couple of reasons. Any inside mounted treatment - blinds or shades will limit your light since they sit inside the window frame. We might suggest flowing cheerful fabric that will add length to the room but keep the windows open. Taking inspiration from your marigold pillow - think sunny days. We love Robert Allen's sun drenched naturals, Also try a lighter rug, lighter colored lamp bases and a larger ottoman. Good luck!
    lrussell ha ringraziato 92nd Street Design
  • aslans1
    9 anni fa
    White drapery from ceiling to floor, kept open during the day. Recessed LED lighting. Change the rug to a solid light to medium gray. You will love the lift.
    lrussell ha ringraziato aslans1
  • bdarrow
    9 anni fa
    Could you try white semi-sheer stretched panels that let in light but not the outside world. I would put them into the window frames. A light oriental rug and a real coffee table would add alot.
    lrussell ha ringraziato bdarrow
  • kl007
    9 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 9 anni fa
    With all that lovely greenery outside, definitely just wood blinds and mabye a pattern or sheer simple drapery that isn't too wide to keep open to add a pop of color. And maybe for that far wall, just one wide curtain rod with the fabric panels on the outside of the 2 windows. In other words, just 2 panels on the outsides of each window. Then 2 panels on that side window.
    lrussell ha ringraziato kl007
  • cabingirl13
    9 anni fa
    wood blinds are a pain in the rear to clean....
    lrussell ha ringraziato cabingirl13
  • gracey999
    9 anni fa
    Def wood blinds or white wood slated blinds; but that's just me. I love the room though, Just needs to be a tad bit brighter that's why I would go white...It'll be nice whatever you choose.
    lrussell ha ringraziato gracey999
  • PRO
    Stamps Design Services
    9 anni fa
    Wood blinds are expensive and need regular cleaning, roman shades can also be pricey, but come in many colors/patterns. Are you looking for privacy, room darkening or just aesthetically pleasing? Curtains along with roller window shades (pull down) would give you privacy, light control and are the easiest on a budget. Lighting is most effective when applied in layers, this can be done with overhead lighting (install with a dimmer switch), ahnging light fixture, sconces, floor lamps and/or table lamps. You do not need ALL of these, but they work best in combinations of atleast three..... You can also use uplighting in bookcases, behind plants, etc. It really depends on a) your tastes and b) your budget.
    lrussell ha ringraziato Stamps Design Services
  • Tracey Gazdik_Schmidt
    9 anni fa
    White wood blinds are classic and timeless. As you said this is the front of the house, so you need to be mindful of what the treatment looks like from the exterior. Most Roman shades are very unattractive from the back side due to seeing the "mechanics" of them. Recessed lighting is probably your best choice for ceiling lighting. It will also update the space. If you do go with a fabric on the windows, mount panels closest to the ceiling and just flank windows with a light weight natural fabric.
    lrussell ha ringraziato Tracey Gazdik_Schmidt
  • lrussell
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    Thank you everyone for the ideas. I agree with the new, larger area rug... It's on my list :-) thanks again to all.
  • User
    9 anni fa
    Another reason to consider wood blinds is because all your furniture seems to abut the windows so with drapes this may look cluttered and little or no wall showing. You don't want a funeral parlor wall with all draperies . Blinds would give you a clan uncluttered look and great light control. The blinds with maybe just a panel to flank the furthest windows may work. As for cleaning the blinds, yes, you need to give them a dusting but if you don't do it often it isn't apparent to anyone but you. I have wood blinds so I speak from experience. Would I buy them again in a different house? I might, depending on the configuration of room, windows, light exposure, etc. I have enjoyed my blinds for a dozen years and they are still attractive and functional and not out of style.
Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".