Houzz Logo Print
christinamanzo

How many pendant lights over a 6 ft kitchen island?

christina m
9 anni fa
Time to make electrical plans for the new kitchen. island will be just over 6 ft. how many pendant lights should we plan for? 2 or 3? thanks!

Commenti (43)

• PRO
    Wow Great Place
    9 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 9 anni fa
    If they are narrow, you could do 3. If they are wide, you can do 2.
    Here are examples, though the triple pendant in the white kitchen was a single fixture, requiring only one junction box! (So worth picking the fixtures now, at planning stage!)
    Champlain kitchen · Maggiori informazioni

Condo kitchen · Maggiori informazioni

Total kitchen makeover · Maggiori informazioni
  • christina m
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    Thanks for your prompt response. here are some styles I was interested in.
  • PRO
    Wow Great Place
    9 anni fa
    I think if the diameter of these fixtures is not too wide, you could go with three of either of these. Center one over the island, then the other two each get spaced approx 15-18" away from center (general measurement, obviously, as the actual spacing will depend on the diameter of your final choice!)
    If you can return them, buy 3 of each and play with how they look, say over your dining table, if you don't have an island of that size to work with yet. Or a big piece of cardboard....
  • leelee
    9 anni fa
    Of the two, the one on the left is more pleasing. Less busy.
  • trestle09
    9 anni fa
    Hi! Of the two lighting choices that you have shared, I'd definitely go with the one on the left. It has a more light and airy feel and will not compete with your kitchen. You would likely be able to do 3 over your island. The one on the right is too busy and will not be easy to clean. Also, I would say that each of these choices lends to a different feel/style so another factor to consider is the style of your kitchen/home.
  • christina m
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    Thank u all. I was also leaning towards the left...I think I'll do the 3. lots of little decisions makes a person go crazy but so glad to have a sounding board on here :)
  • PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    9 anni fa
    A 6' island is not very large. I would do only 2 pendants with the size fixtures you are posting. IMO, 3 will be overpowering.
  • rosemarytb
    9 anni fa
    I like the light on the left too. Will you share where you found it? Thanks!
  • christina m
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    Rosemarytb. .it's from universal lighting in Toronto.
  • PRO
    JB Adaptations
    9 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 9 anni fa
    Kelley1003, love the light you chose. Most people would not pick such a light. Those make the whole room pop!! Great job!
  • breenmee
    8 anni fa

kelly1003 love the look of your kitchen I am in the process of trying to do mine I have a 15 x 11 ft kitchen to work with, that will (when wall is knocked) open into my livingroom. My hope is to put in a 6ft island, can you tell me how big your kitchen is? thanks

• PRO
    Bradson Flooring
    8 anni fa

Three always looks better then two. Rule of thumb.

• saratogaswizzlestick
    8 anni fa

That light is very attractive. I would check out the price of those bulbs and the ease of finding them when replacements are needed. Since those lights will probably be used quite often you may want to consider a fixture in which you can use LED bulbs.

• amentjody
    7 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 7 anni fa

I have a 6.5x4ft island. Would 2 pendant lights 12x16 be to big for the space?

• Amanda Zuckerman
    7 anni fa

I need help! I ordered 2 14 inch diameter pendants for my 72" island. Do we think these are too big??? See the mockup.

Would it be better to do these 8 inch diameter ones? 2 or 3? https://www.restorationhardware.com/catalog/product/product.jsp?productId=prod3110098&categoryId=cat5700159

• PRO
    JB Adaptations
    7 anni fa

no more than 2

• Lea McCormick
    7 anni fa
    We are installing a 12-foot island in our kitchen. It will be divided as a 7 1/2' counter-height work space, with a 4 1/2' elevated bar space. It is 27" wide. We are really struggling with lights. We bought 5 1/2" diameter pendants. How should we place them? How many should we use? Our kitchen is narrow. Thanks!
  • Annette Perrozzi Cogliano
    6 anni fa

i have 9f. island how many pendants would need if i used 5: diameter lights?

• amyizzy
    6 anni fa

Currently, The trend in lighting is the bigger, the better. Check out pinterest and interior decorating blogs, the lights are big big big! Grouping in odd numbers is the way to go! I am putting three almost 10" pendants over my 6" island. Also, ours are clear glass so they will not take up much "visual" space. Have fun and choose what you like! Don't be afraid of some whimsy. Lights are an easy fix if any future buyer does not share your taste. Decorate for you! Space 12-18 inches apart between fixtures and leave space at the island edges!

• niamh_hand
    6 anni fa

hi amyizzy, I am going to put three 10 inch glass globe lights over my island which is 75 inches/ 6.25 ft. I also will have about 19 inches between each light fitting cord.

I would love to see what your ones look like, do you have a picture please?

• amyizzy
    6 anni fa

@niamh_hand my lights are not installed yet, but here is what I have ordered and a stock photo from online. These lights are HUGE and I love them!!! . I believe these will be installed late this week, early next week!

• niamh_hand
    6 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 6 anni fa

they are fabulous, really cool! I am sure they will look beautiful!
    this is what mine looks like, it is 10 inch so actually look huge, much bigger than the picture portrays. they look quite dainty there and they are not. I am going to put 3 over a 6 ft island. i'm worried they might look a bit overwhelming due to the size and the fact they are round globes. but if you think this size is good that is great. so hard to get it right

can't wait to see your ones up

• amyizzy
    6 anni fa

Niamh_hand those are gorgeous! I absolutely do not think they will be too big, (my lights are bigger than they look in the pics too). I think your lights are right on trend! I've attached some recent design blogs pics, the lighting is over sized super huge!! Your 10 inch globes are modest imo!! Love them!! I'll post the pics of our lighting as soon as they are installed!

• niamh_hand
    6 anni fa

thanks for your feedback, feeling better about them now :-)

they do seem quite small compared to those pics you have sent! :-)

• pbengstrom
    6 anni fa
    amyizzy, where did your order your pendant lights from? I love them!
  • amyizzy
    6 anni fa

@pbengstrom These are Ashley brand Pendant lights from Amazon. There are other online sources as well. I waited for the price to drop under $100 per light to order (I think i paid around $85?). They were installed just last night. Excuse the mess, we are still a work in progress!

• niamh_hand
    6 anni fa

they look fabulous up! gorgeous!

• niamh_hand
    6 anni fa

how high did you hang them from the counter please?

• d fermier
    6 anni fa

@amyizzy your kitchen is gorgeous! It's the same color scheme we're planning to do - currently in the demo phase of our renovation. I love the pendants! Helpful to know you found those on Amazon!

• amyizzy
    6 anni fa

@niamh_hand Thank You! I don't recall the height but I will find out!

Thank you @d fermier! Let me know if you need paint color info!

• Valda Vierling
    6 anni fa

@amyizzy love your pics. We are in planning stage of building a house. The kitchen will be similar to yours - the island is 6' square. What size is yours? Our island will have a reclaimed wood top, no sink, cabinets under one side, and stools under opposing side so we can use for eating. I was thinking about doing 4 pendants, one at each corner, but I like the looks of the 3 you did, Any advice?

• kilitta1
    6 anni fa

Your kitchen is beautiful i am doing my kitchen leaning to gray island with the rest the cabinets white i bought a cluster of 7 pendent lights thinking they are too many

• amyizzy
    6 anni fa

Hi Valda! Sorry for the late reply, I'm not receiving notifications for this thread! I would offer the advice to make sure your pendants are nice and big! In my opinion, this looks more intentional and current.

My island is 5'10 x 6'11. I found great spacing tips for pendants on Pinterest! !

kilitta1, Shop around and don't be afraid to return something if you don't love it!

Here are some updated photos of the complete kitchen

• Valda Vierling
    6 anni fa

amyizzy, my pendants are very similar to yours. Our island measures 5'10" X 6', so a little smaller than yours. I have 2 pendants on hand, but can order more if needed. We meet with the electrician and I will ask his opinion. Thanks for sharing. This helps.

• Rebecca Branham
    5 anni fa

amyizzy what’s your island paint color? Your kitchen is beautiful

• amyizzy
    5 anni fa

Thank you Rebecca! It is Sherwin Williams 7045 intellectual gray

• Ebony W
    4 anni fa
    Hi, my island will be 6’4 wide by a little over 3’ deep. My fixtures are 9-3/4” pendants. Should I do 2 or 3?!!
  • PRO
    JB Adaptations
    4 anni fa

• coley331
    4 anni fa

What color are your wall cabinets and backsplash? It’s gorgeous!

• Laura Pruyn
    4 anni fa

@amyizzy love your photos of kitchen, what is your flooring?

• Nikki Thames
    3 anni fa

What quartz is this ??

• amyizzy
    3 anni fa

Ok!! I missed some questions! Lol. Flooring is American Hickory, aluminum oxide finish. The backslash is a grey-toned Greige. Not sure the actual color but when I matched the grout to the tile, the grout selection was Silverado. The counters are actually a granite called shadow storm. I chose two slabs that most looked like marble. People ask what marble I used often! I chose slabs with lighter main colors and gray veining... looks very close to marble.

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".