Houzz Logo Print
gnarledpaw

Need to pick a runner for L-O-N-G hallway

gnarledpaw
9 anni fa
I have two dogs with really serious back problems so our slippery slate floor is a huge problem (especially when the doorbell rings or a squirrel crosses the back yard). We're using gates to limit access now, but we'd really like to move through the house freely ourselves.

However, I don't know what type of runner will "play nice" with the kilim rugs we have now. At present the room is a "warm dark" because we put up an orange awning to limit the heat of the morning sun. In the winter, the awning comes down and this huge room is quite bright. It may be relevant to note for certain carpet materials that our heat is in-floor radiant heat. The length of "hall" in need of a solution measures approx 46' from the carpet squares and dog beds in the dining room to the end of the slate floor just before the bedrooms.

Looking at this, what would you do? Scrap the kilims? Use flor.com squares that match the stone as closely as possible? Choose several black/ivory kilim runners?

Thank you!

Commenti (15)

• gnarledpaw
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    Thanks, Deborah. Where does one get a runner made?
  • PRO
    Brickwood Builders, Inc.
    9 anni fa
    You are welcome. Any one of the carpet stores (not HD or Lowes) in our area will make them so I would assume that would be true in most cities. You can select from any one of the carpets and use whatever colors you like. They put them together and bind the edges.

One of our clients used the heavy duty 1/2" thick foam type mats that fit together like a jigsaw puzzle on their floors when they had an older dog with back issues. Not as expensive as a runner, but also not as attractive.
  • gnarledpaw
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    Great! Thank you. I had no idea.
  • printesa
    9 anni fa
    I like flor tiles and I see you already know about them. They do come in different colors so you could pick a color from your existing rugs to choose the flor tiles. They do have different designs that could go very well with your existing rugs. I have flor tiles throughout the house and they are great for area with lots of traffic
  • gnarledpaw
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    Yup, I do love my flor tiles. I just wasn't feeling overly confident in choosing a color direction. To contrast, complement or try something that's essentially just camouflage against the stone - I don't know which way I'd turn with it.
  • User
    9 anni fa
    Will Flor tiles lie evenly on the slate? I love the rugs. PB has runners made for in or out that are beautiful, perfect for pets and would look great in your home.
  • printesa
    9 anni fa
    I would get pick a color from the rugs. I like the slate, but it looks a bit cold. Some color would probably warm it up. It depends what you like. We all like different things:)
  • broli_me4
    9 anni fa
    Would this runner coordinate? You'd have to buy more than one and put them together....

http://houzz.com/photos/10066013
  • PRO
    RugKnots | Area Rugs
    9 anni fa
    A red Kilim will look nice too.
    Hand Woven Oriental Multi Colored Flat Weave Kilim Rug 5.5x7.8 · Maggiori informazioni

Handmade Oriental Multi Colored Flat Weave Kilim Rug 5.5x7.8 · Maggiori informazioni
  • printesa
    9 anni fa
    From Flor, take a look at Good Vibrations and at Modern Mix 4 Half Stripe (both in red). It might work with the existing rugs,
  • PRO
    3cc Chicago
    9 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 9 anni fa
    As a builder with two large dogs, I have worked on a number of projects with clients where we incorporate their concerns for their pets' comfort and safety into the design process and so, I understand the dilemma homeowners can face sometimes with having their dogs integrate comfortably within the spaces they live. In your case, I'd like to recommend a product for dogs that's specifically designed to help alleviate traction problems on slippery floors. The product is Dr. Buzby's ToeGrips. The design is simple and effective, easy to put on your dog, and seems to present no discomfort to the dog while giving them the traction they need to move about safely. Here's a link to their site: http://www.toegrips.com/about/our-story/
  • gnarledpaw
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    Thanks everyone for all the fantastic ideas! There seems to be some skepticism from the 'peanut gallery' about colorful runners/Flor squares, but I have a few samples and a 'trial' coming, so we'll see how he/we like it in person.

Thank you again for you time and creativity!
  • groveraxle
    9 anni fa
    I have nothing to add to the great suggestions above, but Grover just wants to thank you for making your house old-dog friendly. ;-)
  • gnarledpaw
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    Hi 3CC in Chicago!

I think the Tow Grips are great, but they were on one of our dog's toe's for some months during his recovery from spine surgery. As you may know, they eventually wear out or fall off and need to be replaced. Sadly, he seems to have become hyper-sensitive about his paws since the Toe-Grip days and bites anyone attempting to put them on again. Of course, we can hold him down to avoid the bite, but it's so out of character for him that I am taking it as his way of saying they were great as a rehabilitative tool, but it's time to get a rug!

To anyone who has slippery floors and a dog with knee or back problems, don't hesitate to ask your vet or rehab techs about ToeGrips, though!
Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".