Houzz Logo Print
ravensfan4

Bay window in need of treatment...window experts please help

ravensfan4
9 anni fa
Hi, We have a very large beautiful bay window that I can't figure out what to do with! I was going to do Roman shades on the two side windows but I fear that will make the bay window look undone! The bay window has 5 equal size panes arching around, do I do 5 tiny roman shades, one big one, two floor length panels on the side?? I'm not super worried about privacy, more of a design question. Any suggestions??

I should mention that this is a "before" picture, we're putting in dark walnut hardwood floors and are planning to put in a casual dark walnut farmhouse table with 3 pendants instead of the ceiling fan.

Commenti (15)

• Curt D'Onofrio
    9 anni fa
    I'm so glad you mentioned you are going to add hardwood floors. Nothing wrong with the tile persay if this was going to be the kitchen.
  • Curt D'Onofrio
    9 anni fa
    Here's a pic i saved in my idea book, and hope it helps
    Windowseat · Maggiori informazioni
  • ravensfan4
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    Michelle, thanks so much. When you say stationary panels what exactly do you mean. Would I mount 1 per panel of the bay window?

Again, thanks!
  • everdebz
    9 anni fa
    I'm a simple person and tile would've worked for me, maybe with jute rug which can look great with lots, even soft patterns like flowers [like your view - that isn't sedum is it]....
  • everdebz
    9 anni fa
    See I'm simple, but I'd keep the kind exactly the same. What's wrong with good quality honeycombs? Wonder what style, what finish of metal in pendants?
  • PRO
    Michelle Scott for Ethan Allen - Laguna Niguel, CA
    9 anni fa
    A stationary panel is a drapery treatment that is not intended to function - (open or close) . You could use panels that function, as well, if you want to be able to control the light - I read that privacy isn't an issue, thus my suggestion for stationary panels.

I would use a decorative rod above the alcove - not in the bay. (If no one is going to sit in the window seat, that might change my suggestions) A pair of panels that frame the entire bay window and window seat will work nicely.
  • PRO
    Michelle Scott for Ethan Allen - Laguna Niguel, CA
    9 anni fa
    Your window seat appear shallow enough, that individual shades mounted inside the alcove would prohibit the ability to sit in the window seat with the shades down. individual panels between the windows would really break up the room, and the view, unless very neutral.
  • ravensfan4
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    Thanks again Michelle! Exactly what I needed. I like the panels on the side, the window seat is a little shallow but still comfortable for seating.
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 anni fa
    Do romans on the side windows and matching stationary panels flanking the bay. It looks like the bay is not exactly trimmed out the same as the side windows on the top. If you use inside mount romans, I think you'll want to add some trim so they match.
    Garrett Park · Maggiori informazioni
  • PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    9 anni fa
    For a room that size, I would advise keeping the window treatments very simple and not too ornate, i.e. don't embellish or use too heavy a pattern if you're going with textiles. Think about just a simple upholstered cornice (nothing else) above the bay window and find coordinating patterns for the seat cushion and a few throw pillows. Do the same cornices on the side windows and finish them with simple roman natural woven shades in a lighter color that have some sheerness to them. That will provide some contrast to the walnut floor and table, and make sure you keep the room filled with light.
  • groveraxle
    9 anni fa
    All the windows are beautiful and can stand on their own. Window treatments in bays are almost always awkward. Leave them all naked.
  • ravensfan4
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    Thanks Sabrina, I like the cornice idea also! I knew Houzz experts would come up with great options.
  • PRO
    CMI Inc.
    9 anni fa
    I love Sabrina's thoughts! Another option if you wanted fabric roman shades would be doing a curved application, such as the attached image.
  • PRO
    User
    9 anni fa
    I love the idea of high quality, family friendly drapery panels flanking that fabulous window! I've attached a digital rendering, using our Ovals pattern in Turquoise (the slide was my color inspiration-LOL!) Hemming the drapes just below the window seat frames the view and keeps the mood light. Hope this helps!
Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".