Houzz Logo Print
stormyrunner

To paint the woodwork or not?

stormyrunner
9 anni fa
Dear Houzzers, I'm stumped & need your design experience. We bought this house which was built in the early 80s & is still lost there.
I've selected SW Blonde for kitchen & family room color but do I use this color up to the ceiling, covering this wood and make it disappear or wax the wood and make it part of the design. The floor is Saltillo tile. I'm also unsure what to do with this river rock fireplace other than put a reclaimed beam as a mantle up. Do I take down the stone & reface & if so, with what material? And one more important question, in the kitchen, you can see the soffit...I won't know til next week when we get the house whether it has electric hiding there...but if it does, do I paint that also to make it disappear? We're doing a lot of this ourselves, on a budget of course, and I want to spend my money on appliances & countertops & perhaps refacing cabinets....they're solid wood, ugly but solid!!! Desperately seeking suggestions for this first time poster...

Commenti (11)

• PRO
    Deb Bayless - Design for Keeps
    9 anni fa
    Hi! If you are on a budget, I think you are on the right track to make cosmetic updates as the tile and cabinets are still very serviceable. The soaring ceilings are meant to give added height and spaciousness, but in their current dark stain, it just brings them back down. Typically darker colors help to ground a room which is why the floor tile is a keeper, certainly for now. The SW Blonde looks like it may pick up on the golden tones in the tile - great! I would paint out the soffit and vertical paneling the same color as your walls. With the fireplace, natural stone is always in style so it's about marrying the other finishes in the room to the stone so that it doesn't look out of place. Adding a mantel piece is a great idea - keeping the wood at least 12" from the fireplace opening for safety reasons. You could even box out the top section with drywall - check out this one from House Beautiful.
    stormyrunner ha ringraziato Deb Bayless - Design for Keeps
  • karenfae
    9 anni fa
    I would paint the soffit and the upper wood all blonde, the cabinets white, and the island an accent color. You could face the island with beadboard for some texture. Glidden Door and Trim paint or Benjamin Moore Advance Waterborne Interior Alkyd are hard paints for cabinets.
    stormyrunner ha ringraziato karenfae
  • PRO
    Kristina Eckert - EvolveDesignBuild
    9 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 9 anni fa
    There is so much going on, in which case I would paint cabinets, woodwork, ceilings and wall all in a nice creamy shade of white like benjamin moore swiss coffee. Your appliances are already white, so that will make everything look clean and pretty. If you want to accent the island in a different color (benjamin moore black fox?), that would be great, hard to tell what the surface is now from the photo.
    stormyrunner ha ringraziato Kristina Eckert - EvolveDesignBuild
  • stormyrunner
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    Thank you guys so much. I'm not sure if I can go white in the kitchen...been pondering it but my preferences always lean to wood tones or black (love black fox color!). I plan on replacing appliances with stainless, back counter with ikea wooden countertop & do something else with island...build it up, beadboard the outside of it & not sure of counter yet..
    There is so much going on here and the only thing I like is the floor. I want it simpler, a little rustic, Spanish colonial maybe? I don't know what to do with kitchen cabinets. I do know ill use SW fireweed along with SW blonde as I've used this combo before & I love it.
    I'm going to follow my instinct, and your advice, and paint wood & soffit to the ceiling. So I should also paint the ceiling the same color?
  • PRO
    Kristina Eckert - EvolveDesignBuild
    9 anni fa
    I would paint the ceiling the same color
    stormyrunner ha ringraziato Kristina Eckert - EvolveDesignBuild
  • PRO
    Comwest Construction
    9 anni fa
    You might have drywall behind the wood panels. if so I would remove them and paint the room the color you like. painting the cainets Blk would look great. you might consider a gray color or a dark green as well.
    I would remove the fire place stones and maybe just put a small section of stone around yhe fireplace and drywall the rest. Good luck
    stormyrunner ha ringraziato Comwest Construction
  • apple_pie_order
    9 anni fa
    Here is a show house with SW Blonde paint and dark wood: https://www.houzz.com/photos/2008-saratoga-showcase-home-traditional-kitchen-new-york-phvw-vp~52273

More showcase photos are here: http://www.houzz.com/projects/3881/2008-Showcase

Even though the show house was in 2008, it has several current features because it was fashion forward at the time, like most show houses. For your place, I would paint the vertical panelling up top, paint the walls, and then decide about the soffit. It looks like there is fluorescent uplighting in the soffit. When you get possession of the house, take a look up there and see what is what. Often changing the lighting can make a huge difference in how dark cabinetry looks. It can go from drab to dramatic. Think about replacing the fluroescents with LEDs.

I'd also keep in mind the possibility of going one shade or two shades lighter than SW BLonde on the same paint chip card.
    stormyrunner ha ringraziato apple_pie_order
  • stormyrunner
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    @apple_pie_order...planned on going one shade lighter for hallway off these rooms & one shade darker for living/dining off these rooms but you're thinking lighter for the whole space or just ceilings? Love those showcase house pics btw...
  • apple_pie_order
    9 anni fa
    About lighter paint options: just keeping in mind that the space may be darker than anticipated, and may need more lightening up once you have seen it during the course of a few days and evenings, even in summer.
    stormyrunner ha ringraziato apple_pie_order
  • stormyrunner
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    I should add we plan on changing the black splash too...to a do-it-yourself copper penny backsplash. Adventurous I know but really beautiful from what I've seen. All I need now is to figure out island counter surface. You've helped me decide to paint lower island SW Black fox.
    We're also now deciding to take down some, not all, of the fireplace stone, to mantel height. Add some iron hardware & linen curtains, change furniture placement & voila, new room. I love all your ideas!!
Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".