Houzz Logo Print
ckosch

How to make room a WOW....

ckosch
9 anni fa
Ultima modifica:9 anni fa
Help! What can I do to make this room brighter? It all seems blah....

Commenti (39)

• PRO
    Remodel Advocates - Virtual Project Management
    9 anni fa
    Tile over the brick with anything that you fancy & that WOWs.
    Paint one accent color on fireplace wall, including the backs of shelves. Then paint shelves in white.
    You have three dark pieces bisecting the room - dark leather chair, dark table frame, and then mantle. Swap out one or more for something lighter & different texture. My suggestion (& easiest) is table.
    Good bones & good starting point - it just needs that extra finish!
  • abbyjean
    9 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 9 anni fa
    If you do not need the shelves next to the fireplace, I would move them. They fight with the brick and the whole fireplace there.

Move the chair to the other side of the drapes so it is a bit tighter with the couch. Find a great piece of art for over the couch.....or even a mirror since it would reflect the outside, which is perfect.

Maybe a big palm plant in the corner if you move the shelves?
  • ckosch
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    Thanks for the suggestions! I will work on this!
  • ckosch
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    Any idea what I should paint the accent wall?
  • abbyjean
    9 anni fa
    I would rather see you add color with art, pillows, throws and accessories than painting an 'accident' wall.
  • ckosch
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    Will do....thanks
  • ckosch
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    The reason the bookcases are there is to hide the plug in cord from the tv that runs down the wall from on top of the fireplace. Maybe need to hire someone to put the cord thru the wall so I don't have to have the DVR player there...
  • abbyjean
    9 anni fa
    I hate suggesting to spend money when you want to change around a room, but i like this idea of doing the rewiring. It will be worth it. I had a feeling that is what the shelves were for, but I would love the fireplace to stand out on that wall all alone.
  • PRO
    Jane Antonacci Interior Design
    9 anni fa
    I agree, put limestone slabs over the brick and remove the mantle. A less expensive idea would be to paint the brick a solid white and remove the rustic mantle. You could also put a white wood paneling and mantle combo for a more traditional look.

Bookcases are too short, or they need something above. You could consider a round framed mirror above each. Or try a pair of sunburst mirrors. It helps so much with the entire room to get some height on that wall.
  • ckosch
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    I agree with the bookcases being too short. Attached is a close up of the fire place. I agree adding limestone would totally update it. Also, attached is a picture of the rug. Any thoughts on colors to add for a pop of color? Also, what style of limestone?
  • PRO
    VizX Design Studios, LLC
    9 anni fa
    That whole wall is way to busy. Do you need a TV in that room? The fire place makes a nice focal point. This room can be decorated properly and become a great conversation area. I would follow some of the earlier comments about removing the bookshelves too.
  • ckosch
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    We would really like a tv in this room. I will get rid of the bookshelves....
  • decoenthusiaste
    9 anni fa
    If that lamp is not just out on trial, please remove the cellophane wrapper from it.
  • ckosch
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    The shade is just on trial....
  • anitadavis
    9 anni fa
    Maybe replace the coffee table with an upholstered ottoman with a pretty fabric. I think you need some "life" in the room - a large plant. If you don't want to limestone the fireplace, paint the brick a nice creamy white. I can't tell what color your walls are, but maybe going lighter will brighten up the space.
  • groveraxle
    9 anni fa
    I'm not even going to address the TV over the fireplace. At least not now. You have too much little stuff. If you want wow, you need fewer, bigger, wow-type items. A big piece of art over the sofa would be a good start.

OK, now I'm going to address the TV over the fireplace; can't help myself. Unless you have a to-die-for view making that window a focal point, I would move the sofa in front of the window and put the TV on a long console on the wall opposite. This will make the fireplace focal as you enter the room and allow you to decorate it properly.
  • abbyjean
    9 anni fa
    grover hit it right on!!! See how much easier it will be to watch tv now and still enjoy a fire, too?? Now you have a WOW!!!
  • ckosch
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    That does look so much better! Originally we never put the TV on that wall because we thought the room was too narrow...I will work on this and give you some added photos as I work on this. I do have this mirror over my couch and this art in the other part of room.....I really appreciate everyone's advice! I love this site!
  • abbyjean
    9 anni fa
    Cannot wait to see what you try. That art would look great on the mantle, too. You could try the table just to get an idea before you go and buy something. Maybe you even have a dresser or cabinet that could be repurposed.
  • ckosch
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    Right. I will have to give that some thought. That definitely has made a great impact! So excited to begin! Thanks for all your help!
  • groveraxle
    9 anni fa
    The art behind the leather chair looks perfect for over the fireplace. And you can use it to tie in pops of red throughout the room.

See all that little stuff on the console? Send it packing. Enlarge the two photos, if you want to use them. You can keep the plant, or replace it with a lamp, but don't use anything smaller.

If you move the TV to the wall, be sure you get a console that is longer than the telly by at least 25%. Sometimes those are hard to come by, so if you can't find anything suitable, you'll have to get creative. Use a long floating shelf with square ottomans underneath, perhaps.

Have fun!
  • ckosch
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    Thanks...will try this!
  • PRO
    Signature Home Services
    9 anni fa
    So many great suggestions! Can't wait to see pictures of your progress.
  • ckosch
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    By the way.....this is how the fireplace looked before and I did paint it lighter. Should I still go even lighter? I left some of the different colors in it...
  • abbyjean
    9 anni fa
    I like the color it is now with your wall color.
  • PRO
  • ckosch
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    So....I have done some of the suggestions. I moved the art work above fire place in one of the pics along with moving the couch. I did add a tree, got rid of the book cases....made a make shift console as well. Not sure if we can move the TV as we may get a bad glare from the window to the opposite wall....i do realize the rug needs to be moved out from the couch a little as well. I moved the leather chair to the opposite wall and flipped the tall piece of brown furniture where the leather chair was.
  • ckosch
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    Really not fond of the entertainment unit....maybe need to get rid of it. If TV stays on top of fireplace I will get the cords rid of. I also am in search of different lamp.
  • abbyjean
    9 anni fa
    Does your current tv fit in the entertainment unit?
  • abbyjean
    9 anni fa
    I REALLY like what you have been working sooooo hard on today. It must feel like a new room, doesn't it?
  • marywashington
    9 anni fa
    looks nice
  • Caroline Chavez
    9 anni fa
    I like the idea you are going for in regaed to your fireplace and surrounding area. I think it is very creative and a good use of already owned resources. You might tie it all together by painting it all white. The bookshelves, mantle and brick around fireplace. There are several how to videos on how to paint the brick. I've also seen where the tv over the fireplace is framed out. Remove the decorative items from the mantle. Put 2 large glass vases flanking the fireplace on the hearth. You are on the right track! The rug is great. You could paint the coffee table white. I like the glass for openness. Be good to the Earth and your wallet and use what you have! Good job!!
  • groveraxle
    9 anni fa
    ckosch, can't believe you had a tree for the corner! LOL. I suggest you look into blackout window shades so you can move the TV to that wall. It will be so much more comfortable watching it there if you can control the light, and the room will be better balanced, too.

I think the fireplace color is fine. I also think the art is perfect for the mantel. You've done yeoman's work today. Pat yourself on the back, but don't wrench your arm doing it. You're gonna need that arm when it's time to move the TV. ;-)
  • ckosch
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    Lol! Thanks...it is coming along. We are in the process of doing a major backyard project so some of this may be on hold for a slight time! I will continue working on it and show pics along with questions and feedback! Thanks....
  • Meghan
    9 anni fa
    Looking forward to seeing your room come together!
  • ckosch
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    By the way...the tv is too big for that entertainment unit....
  • PRO
    Affreschi & Affreschi
    9 anni fa
    light green walls colour
  • PRO
    Furnished Up Fine Furniture and Home Decor
    9 anni fa
    Injecting color into the room will definitely help. I'd probably paint over the fireplace (white). Art over the fireplace is a good idea or a sunburst mirror. More colorful pillows will also be a good way to introduce color into the room, a brightly colored lamp and plants perhaps.
Sponsorizzato

Ricarica la pagina per non vedere più questo specifico annuncio

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".