Houzz Logo Print
txmama72

SOS...EXPOSED BEAMS HELP NEEDED!

txmama72
9 anni fa
My husband and I are purchasing this home. I can't stand seeing writing/stamping on the exposed beams, any suggestions? The materials are wood and TJI Joists....

Commenti (23)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    9 anni fa
    These ceilings beams can be covered but this is a very industrial type space, is that what you wanted?
  • PRO
    SoCal Contractor
    9 anni fa
    I agree, the space is VERY industrial. The beams add to the overall style of the space. Are you planning on changing the style? The beams work great in this space.
  • txmama72
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    Patricia...thank you so much for your response. I'm ok with the industrial look, my husband is actually the driving force behind the purchase. I can't stand the writing and am wondering what to do with them. The vast majority of the house is exposed beams. I've thought about trying to sand out the lumbar stamp, but what about the drippy glue in between the boards? I was reading on-line about staining or using thin paint, but I feel like painting will take away from the beauty of the wood. I'm open to any suggestions. I'm truly at a loss here.
  • PRO
    Urban Insides
    9 anni fa
    You can either paint the ceiling in white to blend all the beams with the room. Or, you can faux paint the beams to actually be a more subtle but still a nice focal point, maintaining the industrial look.
  • txmama72
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    Thanks y'all for the comments. I am WAAAAY out of my league here. I am more of a traditional girl. This industrial look is new to me. I have thought about painting/staining the beams that are "hanging down" a chocolate brown. I've added more pics of the house. Please chime in. Im grateful to all of you! Really from the bottom of my heart, THANK YOU!!
  • mick50
    9 anni fa
    I think the TJI beams would look terrible painted, especially the chipboard parts. I'm not an expert, but I think having the raw beams, stamps and all, is part of the industrial design. It looks cool! I'll bet if you live with it awhile, you'll stop noticing the lettering.
  • txmama72
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    Hi Mick,
    I felt the same about the chipboard as well. It won't look smooth when painted, so this is problematic. We don't move in until August so I need to come up with something quick.
  • Patricia Pelgrims
    9 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 9 anni fa
    I think you have to ask yourself what it was about the house that made you give in to your husband and went through with the purchase.
    It is probably the industrial style that is attractive to your husband. Painting, staining et all will take away from that and in the end neither of you will be happy.
    Is house buying not a joined decision ?
  • txmama72
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    Patricia,
    I'm a happy camper. I'm a stay at home mom, live a great life and know how to choose my battles. I've always believed that it's the people in the dwelling that make the house a home. I'm ok with the style and I'm "picking up with everyone is puttin' down" and realize any modification would truly take away from this very industrial home. I'm just looking for any insights since I have zero experience with modern/industrial homes. All of our past homes, I've selected and furnished beautifully, but this time it was his "turn" to pick. It's just scary because the thought of having a lime green or orange leather sofa is mind-blowing! Lol!
  • Patricia Pelgrims
    9 anni fa
    Ah ! You don't HAVE to go with a leather sofa. ;) Because believe it or not, that industrial building will want something with softer textures in it to make it a livable home for the family.
    But DO use big splashes of colour in some of your furniture/furnishings - this place can take it ! Have fun with it and you'l soon learn to appreciate the joists and chipboard.
    Good luck with your move. :)
  • Patricia Pelgrims
    9 anni fa
    See ! Even a 'pro' said similar ! :-D
  • User
    9 anni fa
    I guess I'm in the minority here, but I've been in many old true industrial loft spaces and the lettering and the chip board joists scream new construction that has been left unfinished in a misguided attempt to create a faux old factory industrial vibe. The home is obviously an expensive one and I understand your discontent. Painting won't work, but I'd use a combination drywall and solid wood to finish them.
    Conrad Residence · Maggiori informazioni
    Coeur D’Alene Residence on Lake Coeur D’Alene · Maggiori informazioni
    Intelligent Kitchen · Maggiori informazioni
  • Patricia Pelgrims
    9 anni fa
    @bluenan. I don't tink you're in the minority. The lettering imo has been left because of incompetence and laziness from the builders.
    That being said, there is old industrial but there is also new industrial, just like with any other neo historic styles (like neo Tudor, neo Georgian ....) there are a lot of faux elements.
    Your solutions for the ceilings are good ones, provided tcmama72's husband isn't too atached to the current ceilings and it is within the budget.
  • Fiona
    9 anni fa
    I think you're going to have to suck it up over the beams. That said L&C and Patricia have offered good advice. Don't be scared by the 'Industrial' label it doesn't have to be all hard checker plate steel and wrought iron. The furniture in the photos is quite severe but don't be put off. Think big squashy sofas, chunky coffee table, cool coloured metal stools with wooden tops at the kitchen counter.....
  • PRO
    ASVInteriors
    9 anni fa
    Curveball idea: can you get some stencils or lettering stamps and write poems or phrases along some of the beams so that the chipboard is saying something? There is a lovely book I read about a Japanese garden that had each paddle of a waterwheel etched with a prayer, so each time the water ran through the etching, it was blessed with the prayer as it ran downstream... similar idea...
  • PRO
    GN Builders L.L.C
    9 anni fa
    There is so many things you can do to cover this up. Sheetrock ( you can drop it as applicable and make any type of design or shape covering and incorporating the duct ), drop ceiling (so many shapes and styles), T&G planking (cedar or pine), etc
  • PRO
    Christensen Capital, LLC
    9 anni fa
    Whatever you choose.. Keep the look. I'm less in love with the bright colors. This space could be elegant with the exposed industrial ceiling. With a touch of industrial pieces, (barstools, tables, and lighting) with soft neutral upholstery with a Parisian flair.. This space could be amazing. Bright colors detract from the industrial/mod look of the now. I hope you will forgive me, I do love the space that your husband chose, but if it were mine, I would put the girl back into the space. Add softness, and neutrals to counter balance the visual strength of the ceilings. Instead of looking up at those beams for a bit, look at how you might select pieces that are strong for tables etc. And soft in upholstery. Maybe even wood, different stain colors. Make this a space to remember. Not a seemingly expected industrial loft look. I just had to comment because I see such potential here...
  • PRO
    Christensen Capital, LLC
    9 anni fa
    Ok.. Forgive me again... You may delete this. In my opinion (after more review of the photos) I can see that a fireglass fireplace would be fantastic. I would give some bling to the fireplace by adding reflective glass tile up the wall around the fireplace to define it. See attached photos..
    An area rug.. Faux fur cream and art that is proportional to the space. There is what looks like a clock to the right of the fireplace that is lonely. I look at this space and want to draw your eyes up and give the illusion that the ceilings are higher.. Hang sheer panels at the ceiling. I've likely stepped over the bounds here so I will stop. The last few photos: credit RH. The first few are sources I've found elsewhere. Blessings on your project- Melinda
  • txmama72
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    Wow! What creative folks we have on here!!! I am grateful to everyone for your much appreciated advice! I'm going tomorrow to take another look at the home and take y'all's ideas with me. In the meantime, here is a photo of the front of the home. I have a dilemma discussion on landscaping. Please feel free to chime in! I don't know how to link that discussion to this one..sorry!
  • mick50
    9 anni fa
    You could do some fun decor in the industrial setting, like big metal letters.
    http://bblinks.blogspot.com/2014/02/1930s-french-shop-metal-letters_17.html
  • PRO
    Christensen Capital, LLC
    9 anni fa
    Regarding your exterior.. Looks fabulous. Wall could be rocked, (use a stone wall veneer..see photo) I would like to see an almost all white-grey stone. I am not a landscape architect, only interior. I will let someone else more qualified to answer your landscape questions. Glad to help. I'm flying between jobs and this is fun for me. Small tidbit.. Not big on grasses, however you might go with a less 'manicured' look to offset the sharp edges of the home. Again, I disqualify myself here. Melinda
  • mick50
    9 anni fa
    I like the gallery wall in the picture of this industrial loft. Plus, the ceiling is great. Could you make a ceiling with drywall between the beams and clad the beams in stainable wood? (Cost being no object! Lol.)
    Oliver Simon Design Loft Project · Maggiori informazioni
Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".