Houzz Logo Print
edubya

POLL: Do you have a front porch?

Emily H
9 anni fa
One of my great wishes is that I will eventually live in a house with a big porch to relax on in the country. Does your current home have a porch?

VOTE and tell us about it in the comments! (photos encouraged)
Other - Tell us below!

Commenti (91)

• Shelby Sim
    9 anni fa
    I like the colors you chose Jane...very late 1800's and early 1900's.
  • jalarse
    9 anni fa
    Barbysunshine, LOVE your home
  • houseatthelake
    9 anni fa
    Our covered porch was our best investment is used a great deal in the summer.
  • Peggy june Cox
    9 anni fa
    Yes. Love porches of all kinds.
  • jokinser
    9 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 9 anni fa
    We added the front porch to our house with my decorator saying no, it will make the living room too dark - my answer was lights!! I can turn on lights in the living room - I need a front porch - our "porch parties" (wine in the late afternoon) were a great fun way to visit neighbors. One time the neighbors came, found me and told me they were on my porch and I should join them!!
  • Paul B. Showers
    9 anni fa
    Following a three year pursuit of zoning, association and other hurdles we have just been awarded a construction permit for a 12' X 20" screened in porch across the front of our lake front cottage. That's 240 square feet added to a 546 square foot cottage. We can't wait to get started. The porch swing, casual seating, and other furnishings are all stored in our primary residence now and just waiting for the project to be completed. When we were in serious doubt as to if we were going to be allowed to build the porch I was going to sell the cottage. The porch overlooking the water was a must for me. Nothing like a porch!
  • User
    9 anni fa
    I have a house based on a "Charleston single house" with a two-tiered porch (known as a piazza) that runs along the entire length of the house. It's 12' deep, 12' high and 70' long. Perched on the side of Shades Mtn, we have a truly remarkable view. Its the perfect place for morning coffee and evening cocktails. Couldn't imagine life without it!
  • User
    9 anni fa
    Southernpointofview, it sounds absolutely gorgeous, can you share a picture of the exterior?
  • User
    9 anni fa
    Let's try this again!
  • User
    9 anni fa
    Here are a couple of other views.
  • User
    9 anni fa
    Just beautiful, southernpointofview! My kind of house.
  • appleblossomfarm
    9 anni fa
    Love the shade porches provide in the central California heat..
  • Jennifer Vance
    9 anni fa
    I think its a bit simplistic to state that in a bygone age people used to sit on front porches and knew their neighbors better because of it. Maybe in southern climates? Not here in the very cold north. Here people had farms and ranches and the weather is forbidding enough for 9 months of the year that it makes no sense to have porches for that reason alone. We would love to have one for aesthetic value but as we live on a large parcel of land, I fail to see how it would connect us to our neighbors.

I think a better way to connect to neighbors would be to stop by and say hello. Then again, not everyone wants to connect with their neighbors. Depends on the neighbors i suppose.
  • User
    9 anni fa
    I have to say that I live on a large parcel of land, and it's nature I'm interested in seeing from my porch, not neighbors!
  • Mike JB
    9 anni fa
    We have a small porch. This is from Halloween
  • Curt D'Onofrio
    9 anni fa
    OMG Mike, that color green....i'm liking it!!!
  • User
    9 anni fa
    Mike, you are a colorful character!
  • Rosemary Santner
    9 anni fa
    Very small back patio, live in a condo.
  • Snaggy
    9 anni fa
    I'm the UK ..and I have a small front porch ....got rocking chairs on it after a visit to NC a few years ago and loved sitting on my uncles very big front porch :)
  • Najeebah
    9 anni fa
    Wow! Thats very... GREEN!!! Really funky actually
  • gchandler333
    9 anni fa
    Our front porch...
  • Thom Spillane
    9 anni fa
    My next house has to have a front porch. We have the typical back deck now don't get me wrong it's nice to have but given a choice it would be a front porch over a back deck. I just think it's so much nicer to have and neighborly to have the front porch.
  • stephking322
    9 anni fa
    Ranch style front porch
  • Peter Oswald
    9 anni fa
    This front porch had been missing since the early 1900hundreds (house was built in 1875) we replaced it two years ago with many appreciative comments from the neighbours we enjoy our evenings sitting out here watching the sunsets and deer in the fields
  • Paul B. Showers
    9 anni fa
    Peter your community owes you a debt of gratitude for the lovely restoration. What a handsome addition to your life, family, home and community.
  • Shelby Sim
    9 anni fa
    Beautiful! Did you have old photos of the original porch to work from?
  • amyfamyf
    9 anni fa
    We are building a new home with a big front porch right now! I love big porches. Growing up I had a big porch and we used to go outside with blankets and popcorn every time there was a rainstorm and play games. I'm so excited to do this with my own kids.
  • PRO
    Carmel Decor
    9 anni fa
    Wish I had one to share!

Susan Koch
    Interior Designer
  • Liya
    9 anni fa
    Very small porch...
  • Chaniece Harkey
    9 anni fa
    I love my front porch! Only wish it were larger! I just finished reading one of the new HOUZZ updates about green being "the" new neutral color. It made me re look at my door again and see what a beautiful olive green paint would do for it! What do you think?
  • Peter Oswald
    9 anni fa
    Hi Shelby
    We didn't have any old pictures but our house is featured in a book called the Settlers dream and has artist conception of what the porch would have looked like and we followed that design presently we are renovating the summer kitchen into our full time kitchen exciting times for this old house :)
  • Gina P
    9 anni fa
    I live in Western Pa in the country and do not have a front porch, always wished I did though. I do however, have a very large beautiful back deck along with an attached sun deck. There’s not much of a view with the hillside nearby but its a very relaxing place to sit any time of the day!
  • mbarnaby
    9 anni fa
    We love our porch! So nice in the summer to have some wine outside at night, or coffee in the morning.
  • handymoi
    9 anni fa
    Our newly purchased 1923 Arts and Crafts home has two porches! The pic below is of the front porch. For now, having only my hand-made rocker and few potted plants, it is my private get-away space overlooking the street and friendly neighbours passing by.
  • Ann Pryor
    9 anni fa
    Our 1927 Sears House has a deep front porch and we enjoy it from April through Halloween.
  • PRO
  • tiamay
    9 anni fa
    We don't have one, but some of our neighbors do. But I have never, ever seen anyone hanging out on their porch in the entire time we've been here. What's up with that?
  • PRO
    Kathryn Peltier Design
    9 anni fa
    Only photo I have handy is in the winter lol, but I LOVE my front porch. I am out there all the time in the summer. I especially love sitting out there when it rains. In the early spring and late fall, I go out there and read, all bundled up in a quilt. I don't know how I could ever live in a house that didn't have a great porch!
    Victorian House Exterior · Maggiori informazioni
  • Jennifer Carr-Toms
    9 anni fa
    Love having a covered porch large enough to have a sitting area. Used it a lot last year in the summer as shady spot to cool off in the heat, and this cool rainy summer as a shelter from the rain.
  • Jenni Johns
    9 anni fa
    My favorite room? Our front porch. It's great for reading the morning newspaper and to watch the world pass by.
  • jenniewest2002
    9 anni fa
    Recently redesigned our front porch, stairs and landing. I love sitting on the deck in the evening to get the cool breeze. Need to work on some plantings.
  • Nancy S
    9 anni fa
    Our last three houses all had front porches but this one, on our 1915 craftsman bungalow is the best.
  • Snaggy
    9 anni fa
    My front porch in the UK
  • PRO
    Ridge Carpentry LLC
    9 anni fa
    Love my porch, am in the process of redoing my childhood home and enclosing half of it with removable screens and glass panels.
  • PRO
    Ridge Carpentry LLC
    9 anni fa
    Here are a few more.
  • User
    9 anni fa
    Porches look nice on a house, but they really shade the light coming in the front windows and, depending on where you live, offer far less privacy than a back or side deck.
  • Susan
    9 anni fa
    We had one on our previous house connected to a wrap-a-round deck. The house we now live in, just has a portico front door.
  • Janet Stinson
    9 anni fa
    We just completed an addition of a screened in porch on our 60+ year old house of 600 sq ft and we call it our "Happy Place". It's like having another room of the house. Living in the south where the summer days can be hot and humid we enjoy the 6' fan while swinging on the porch swing sipping our cold drinks.
  • J.M. Downey
    9 anni fa
    I don't have a covered porch but would love to have one. I do have plans to eventually add one to my house.
  • User
    8 anni fa

We have a small front porch. I'm not big on porches. It's just right. Great for relaxing at dusk on a summer's eve.

Sponsorizzato

Ricarica la pagina per non vedere più questo specifico annuncio

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".