Houzz Logo Print
buckleup2000

Surprise visitors creeping indoors?

Luke Buckle
9 anni fa
What kinds of creepy crawlies enter your home? It's a common Australian occurrence, where the bush is never too far away, and animals like to remind us we are all trespassing on their turf.

Include photos if you have them!

And what ways do you have of keeping them out?

The photo below is of a huntsman spider - a regular visitor to many Aussie mailboxes or even living rooms. (It was also the kind of spider used in the film Arachnophobia)
Twitter / 1981Rusty: Lil fella was in my mailbox! ... · Maggiori informazioni

Commenti (36)

• Emily H
    9 anni fa
    Oh, no no no no no no no no no. NO. NOOOOOOO!
  • User
    9 anni fa
    Oh no, more spiders!
  • lefty47
    9 anni fa
    HI -- Thank you very much ... like I needed to see that !!!
  • Emily H
    9 anni fa
    I really don't like "fleshy" looking spiders. *shudder*
  • stryker
    9 anni fa
    I had possums come in twice through an open window. You'd think I would've learned the first time, but...Animal Control came and took care of the first one right away. The second time it happened we had to leave the freaked out possum in the powder room until someone could get it the next morning. You could hear it in there, throwing flower pots on the floor. It was very upset, and soiled the room in every way and form. I had to sterilize every surface.
  • PRO
    TB ID
    9 anni fa
    we found this in our place the other day - she was little bit stinky, but we let her stay
  • Momof5x
    9 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 9 anni fa
    I think every house at one time of the year or other will have some creep crawlies somewhere. I am very happy to say though that since we have been in our new home, we have a lot less and hardly any at times.

Over here, there are lots of cockroaches but kept them out of house so far!, then we have ants of all kinds which are very common here but comes summer, it is normal to find them in houseplants too, controlling them is just a matter of keeping on top of everything,.

In winter when it rains, some houses here get invaded by mice ( mice hate rain!) That would be my worst nightmare and I have had that experience in a rented house one time which was a problem we faced every year there.

More recently, and no idea from where but suspected that one little creature came in through the grooves of window and landed on my bed! It was a pretty big spider, but forgot those things jump, so quickly went to get a jar and placed it upside down over it on bed, when it was at the top of jar, I quickly move the glass over tissue and took it outside. Not happy about that anyway!!

The most common creature of course, is the gecko which runs along the walls and definitely can sneak into bathrooms and rooms through open windows. There is absolutely no peace in the home if one gets in until someone gets brave enough to shoo it out-which is a task itself. One jumped on hubby one time and went in his vest hahaha!, he flung it in the air, then it landed on me, I screamed, and kids were running everywhere--what a sight haha!
  • PRO
    RWA Construction Services
    9 anni fa
    I don't mind the spiders in the house; its the ants that get bothersome during the day. At night its the mosquitos that get on my nerves.
  • lefty47
    9 anni fa
    HI - OMG Tony Been what a cute little stinky peanut --- she is soooo cute ! What is her name ?
  • Emily H
    9 anni fa
    My cat once brought a baby squirrel in my house which then took up residence under my stove until it ran out when we left all the doors open. Later it brought a baby possum in the house. I actually thought it was dead, but it was (you guessed it) playing possum in my dining room. The cat got bored and left it alone, then it perked up and started wandering around. SO GROSS.
  • jh77
    9 anni fa
    In my law school dorm room I got cockroaches and creepy crawlies of all sizes (yuck!) Whoever told me about boric acid was a lifesaver. I outlined the room in it and never saw another bug.
    Luke Buckle ha ringraziato jh77
  • Geneviève
    9 anni fa
    A bat in the bathroom I don't have a picture of it but here is how it almost went
  • njschaefer78
    9 anni fa
    To the original poster:

Oh HELL NO.

That, my friends, is why I live in a place that has cold winters.
  • User
    9 anni fa
    Of course, spiders, the occasional field mouse and wood roach, mayflies, beetles, etc. I live in the country and no amount of sub zero weather like we had this year will deter those visitors. Thankfully I'm not the squeamish type.
  • PRO
    Menage Interiors
    9 anni fa
    EEEEEKKKKK!
  • PRO
    DSC DesignWorks
    9 anni fa
    @Tony, well I would keep it
  • stryker
    9 anni fa
    When in college, I rented a room in a yucky old house that had slugs. The slugs were worse in some ways than all the roaches running around, which were terrifically bad. Once, when I unpacked a bag when I went to my real home for a visit, several roaches crawled out. It was just too much. But then again, the slugs and roaches were pretty benign compared to the burglars who kept breaking in.
  • shars55
    9 anni fa
    Omg!!!!!!!!! That picture almost gave me a heart attack. If I saw that thing in my house...I'd have to move!!
  • PRO
    Jason Chuck
    9 anni fa
    This is the huntsman I caught in our last rental, it was crawling on the wall right next to my wife's head as she slept on the living room sofa. Thank goodness she didn't see it but she had a mini heart attack after I showed her the picture and she tucked her PJs in her socks for a while afterwards!
  • Emily H
    9 anni fa
    OH. MY. GOD.
  • User
    9 anni fa
    @jason, your wife is very brave.
  • wickedxx
    9 anni fa
    Can't say as I get spiders that big! I'm not scared of spiders but that one could do it.

I get lots of creepy crawlers . Right now it's invasion of the green gnats or crickets, grasshoppers whatever they are. They jump around and if you're wearing green, go in your clothing! They attach themselves to my crown moulding.

There's some bears around. I have a family of raccoons in the back yard. The odd deer walks through my yard.

There's also eagles soaring over my house all day long, but they don't invade.

I have Moles too. They are annoying when they push big lumps of dirt up in your lawn. I think my cat has been addressing the problem, because I've not seen the lumps of dirt since I got him.

I get loads of moths flying in at night in the warmer weather, if I have a door open. My other cat is tasked with that job.
  • Lainie
    9 anni fa
    I caught this baby about a month ago. He was terrorising my housemate until I released him back out into the wild.
  • stryker
    9 anni fa
    Sometimes, patients in the hospital can get delirious. One kept calling out at the hospital I worked at that there were all these bugs crawling on the walls. Finally his nurse went in to check on him. He was right. He wasn't seeing things. Ladybugs were swarming and crawling all over the place.

I had that happened to me in an apartment once, all closed up and in the winter, and I've known other people with the same experience--all those ladybugs. They're not as cute as you think. They bite at times, and if there's enough of them you'll see plenty of bug poop.
  • stryker
    9 anni fa
    And then there's the stinkbugs. Stinkbugs, stinkbugs, stinkbugs.
  • Luke Buckle
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    @jeanstryker - urggghhh, i hate stinkbugs. By the time you notice them, it's too late!
  • User
    9 anni fa
    In Sydney, everyone had to treat for cockroaches. Down south now, I have these jet black spiders, and I'm arachnophobic. Note to Houzz, please don't put spider pics life size or bigger, a lot of us can't look at the pics either. If it looks nasty to you, it's terrifying to us aracnophobes!
  • Momof5x
    9 anni fa
    I'll tell you one creature I really don't like even more than cockroaches and that is silverfish, they are fast and move like they are sliding side to side * shivers*
  • gdons
    9 anni fa
    We have a bug service that comes every 2-3 mos (more ofter if I see anything) and treats the house for creepy-crawlies. The price is not expensive - and worth every penny!
  • stryker
    9 anni fa
    I had a stinkbug "stink" me once. They really are like miniature six legged skunks. Not as cute though. I had never seen a stinkbug prior to a few years ago. Now it seems that almost everyone has had visitations from them.
  • remodel0602
    9 anni fa
    We have large tarantulas here!!! And I HATE SPIDERS!!!!! They run fast and jump if startled. Can't step in them as they are the size of a small mouse!! Last year two got in house....one got a medical book dropped him from above the other I poisoned the room so bad we couldn't enter for a couple of days. I found him very carefully....dead in the corner.
  • Bridget
    9 anni fa
    Just read this post today, spiders done really bother me but I do kill the wolf spiders here. Living in a rural area you see all kinds of creators.

Last summer I went to pick my dog up from his godparents, when I looked down in the passenger floorboard there was a good size black snake(good snake), all coiled up resting nicely. I went to my friends house to get a golf club to get it out, but the snake had gone up in my dash. After I drove home, I call the local vets office, they had no idea what to do. So I called the local Nature Center and they could not tell me what to do.

First I tried blasting the radio with Heavy Metal, hoping that would bother my visitor and it would leave. Did not happen! Then I turned the heat on high, open the car doors, kept a vigilant watch, after a while I saw the head come out and final the black snake left by the passenger door. Me being there did not bother it in the least, moved over to my raised flower bed, stretched out, about 5 feet long then went on his way.

Two weeks ago we were installing a new waterline and the guys saw the snake where they were working. They picked it up and move to the field across the way. Later they were discussing something and the black snake came back, went right between the two of them like they weren't even their.

FYI Black Snakes kill copperheads and rattlesnakes, which we all so have. I prefer the Black Snake any day.
    Luke Buckle ha ringraziato Bridget
  • petapea
    7 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 7 anni fa

I still have nightmares of staying at my grandparents in northern Western Australia- I would sleep with a net over my bed tucked under the mattress to keep the creepie crawlies out but the 'horse' cockroaches (huge American brown cockroaches I think they are) would fly or scuttle onto my net and crawl around centimetres from my face!!! I absolutely hated them!

• petapea
    7 anni fa

They looked like this!

Sponsorizzato

Ricarica la pagina per non vedere più questo specifico annuncio

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".