Houzz Logo Print
jeninco

Window treatment for ridiculously tall celings

jeninco
9 anni fa
Hoping for help with this! We have really tall ceilings--far taller than they should be but the builder used extra joists between the main & 2nd floor so that he could span the roof without using support posts. Now we're stuck with an A-frame great room that is 30' long x 15' wide. The sidewalls are 16', the peak is 22'. How do I visually reduce the height of this ceiling? (It's a beautiful T&G ceiling, just awkwardly tall). There are 3 window sections (the window you see in the picture, then to the right a French door, then a matching window on the right of the French door). If I do 3 matching Roman Shades that are installed 1 foot above each window, with the bottom of the shade covering the top window trim, will that give a feeling of a break between the main and 2nd floor? It would create a horizontal line--is that the right way to reduce the vertical-ness of this room? (ignore the TV & scaffolding, we're still in a construction-zone mess). Thanks!!

Commenti (20)

• PRO
    CMI Inc.
    9 anni fa
    If you go with the roman shades, to insure you get the effect you are looking for, consult with your workroom about the stack based on the height you would like them mounted. We work with many designers that like to hang romans above so that the stack does not cover the window and block any of the natural light.
  • Wild Infusion
    9 anni fa
    Hi. I would look at putting in large light fittings, paint your ceiling something that is not bright white..and this will give it the illusion that the ceiling is lower than it is. The other option is...you could always put in a mezzanine...would make a great library spot...if you can get access from another room...save you from putting in a stair case.
    Just take things upward towards the ceiling and down from the ceiling and larger than normal...this will downsize it all...it is about proportion and scale. Hope this helps..Robyn
  • PRO
    Sarah Bernardy Design, LLC
    9 anni fa
    You already have a horizontal line at the height you are suggesting so having the Roman shade stop at into the lower windows will not create a different effect instead it would weight the window and create a strong vertical line that you already have with the height of the windows. I would not do Roman shades here I would keep the windows open. Add a dramatic light fixture that is large in scale. Paint the ceiling and walls the same color to bring both elements together without a visual break. If light is an issue, you can professionally install window film to help take out the harness or glare caused by the sun. It looks like you have a sunroom/porch off the back so light and privacy may not be a concern.
  • jeninco
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    Thanks all for your comments.The ceiling is a beautiful tongue & groove pine that carries out to the covered deck (wouldn't want to paint it). Inside, the ceiling is the same cherry stain as the floor (darker than the covered deck). The outside ceiling is a light cedar stain that matches the exterior siding. There's also a fireplace on the wall to the left.
  • PRO
    Matti Rosenshine Architects
    9 anni fa
    if you don't need black-outs, consider museum screen roller shades. They are unobtrusive and allow a soft filtered light to pass through.
  • groveraxle
    9 anni fa
    If you don't need privacy or light control (and it looks like you don't), I'd leave the windows bare. I probably would have made the bottom windows taller, eliminating that chunk of wall between the uppers and lowers, but too late for that now. Please resist the urge to put anything in that area.

Instead, keep your decor below the tops of the lower window frames and let the upper windows simply admit the lovely view.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 anni fa
    Don't cover this view. Not meant to cover very high windows anyway. I would put 4-6" moulding around them and leave bare.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    9 anni fa
    If you wants something on lower window only, go the roller shades that disappear.
  • PRO
    Selectblinds
    9 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 9 anni fa
    One easy way to make your ceiling look lower is to keep the window coverings short and light. Stay away from drapes. That will only elongate the room and make the ceiling seem higher. Roman shades would be nice on those windows, but that oddly-shaped window might be a little troublesome. I would recommend these cellular shades (they come in a variety of colors):
    3/8" Double Cell Light Filter Shades · Maggiori informazioni
    They can be custom ordered to fit your windows perfectly, even the highest uneven window, and they will filter the natural light, so you can still have privacy when you want it, another layer of insulation, and natural light.

Also, love the idea of hanging a large light fixture. That could help provide some balance and might make it cozier.

Love your view!
  • jeninco
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    Thanks so much! I wasn't going to do any treatment for the top windows and really, only wanting to do something on the bottom windows if it could help to visually lower the ceiling. Maybe a rod that runs the whole length of the room and then just 6 narrow panels (on each side of the 3 windows?) I'm completely stumped and will probably not do anything at this point so I don't make matters worse. Not worried about privacy, there's no one behind us and we're pretty high up anyway. Only the birds could see in, I think. Adding a couple more pictures. Thanks again!!
  • groveraxle
    9 anni fa
    Heavens, with that view, no one will ever notice the windows are unadorned. Your house has beautiful bones; just leave them alone. P.S. You need a larger dining room rug.
  • groveraxle
    9 anni fa
    And with all the money you're about to save on window coverings, maybe you could replace that floor lamp with a stylish pendant or two. ;-)
    ArtCraft-JA801-Connecticut - One Light Pendant · Maggiori informazioni
  • jeninco
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    Ha-ha :-) :-) !! Thanks for the comment on the floor lamp!! It is temporary...I haven't done any decorating at all -- that floor lamp was one we pulled out of a garage sale. The ceiling is so high that the fan light just doesn't illuminate it at all (we're changing out the candelabra bulbs for much brighter LEDs). Now that we're finally done with construction it's time for rugs, window treatments, lighting, pictures, a television, couch, chair, tables -- all the "fun" stuff. And that's where I got stuck.....
  • User
    9 anni fa
    If you are looking to reduce the look of the ceiling height, how about adding some rafters?
    The Hillside House · Maggiori informazioni
  • PRO
    Gantt's Decorating
    9 anni fa
    I think romans are the way to go. Be sure to make the ones on top fit the shape of the window. I would think of painting the woodwork the same color as the walls , make the roman shades the same color as the walls as well. visually when the shades are closed you will have the effect of a solid wall. Now find some nice large framed prints to hang on the wall space between the windows. This will pull your focus away from the windows and the high ceilings to the art work. Hope this helps, Bill
  • PRO
    Curtain Call
    9 anni fa
    I know that people are suggesting that you stay away from draperies, but you can put rods above the trim over the lower windows and French doors, creating a new, lower line, and put stationary side panels on the lower windows and French door. These would warm up the room
  • PRO
    Gantt's Decorating
    9 anni fa
    I curtain call, I think you looked at the wrong picture. Her lower window top is only about 5 feet above the floor.
  • PRO
    Curtain Call
    9 anni fa
    Hi Gantt. It looks to me as if the tops of the lower windows line up with the tops of the French doors, which would make them closer to 84" from the top of the trim to the floor. Maybe I'm still looking at the wrong picture
  • jeninco
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    Thanks Curtain Call & Gannt. Yes, the tops of the windows are 84". One of the two designs I sketched on top of photograph was exactly what Curtain Call was saying. I thought having a rod all the way across making a continuous horizontal line would separate the upper from the lower and then 6 identical narrow panels. I need you all to come to the lakehouse and check this out in person!!! :-) Thanks again.
Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".