Houzz Logo Print
wolfshirt26

Knocking out a couple of pillars

Okay, so in the front room of my house there are these two pillars, they seem just kinda awkward to me. If they weren't there, then the whole area would seem much bigger. One is just right in the middle of the room, and the other is connected to the exterior wall. This front room is currently being used as living room more towards the front and a formal/informal dining area (and office towards the back).
I am wondering how difficult it would be to take out these pillars (they are non-load bearing, I checked). Is it as simple as knocking them out and then patching up the header with some drywall and tape and then patching up the floor? does the same go for the pillar that is connected to the exterior wall?
Beyond that, should I even bother removing the pillars? would it even bring much more to the look of the room?
I am also thinking that if I remove the pillars that It would look best to remove the header as well, because it would just look like an odd protrusion out of the ceiling without the pillars. What do y'all think?
To sum: knock it all out? knock out just the pillars? or keep it all? and how difficult would it be?

Commenti (10)

• PRO
    User
    9 anni fa
    get a contractor, find out if it is load bearing....it could be in i dont think it would be there if it wasnt. whats going on with the plywood on the floor right by it? you may be able to expose the beam?
  • Richard Ambrosi
    Autore originale
    9 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 9 anni fa
    I went into the attic, and under the house. There is nothing beneath it going into the sub floor, and nothing above it in the attic. Definitely not weight bearing, I think it was there because this house has some very 80's architectural flairs here and there. The plywood is another project going on (another 80's flair I think). Before I spend the money on a contractor, what do you think about how it would look getting rid of it versus leaving it? ( also I have considered hollowing out the one in the middle of the room and converting it into shelves.)
  • PRO
    ROGUE architecture, LLC
    9 anni fa
    Richard, if it's not load bearing (you need to open the wall to find out - above and below is not always an indication) and you are trying to open the entire space as a single room I say remove the header as well. Now you need to be careful of proportion. Removing the pillars and header will make a very long and thin room which can be awkward. How do you plan to use the room as one space? If two spaces, keeping the barrier may be a better option and instead upgrade lighting, finishes an furniture.
  • mjd232
    9 anni fa
    I think the pillars and header add architectural interest but could be enhanced so that they become more of a feature by joining them together and adding a cap. The comment by KShoa is very true that a long big open space is oftentimes more difficult to decorate.
  • PRO
    RWA Construction Services
    9 anni fa
    Even in the 80's colums that large were not the norm, unless they concealed things. Like duct work and plumbing.

I would confirm with an engineer or contractor that no loads are being transfered. The next question is do you want to retain the ceiling bulkhead. It should not be an extrodinary additional cost to create a flat ceiling. I would expect a flat ceiling to cost and additional $500.oo to $1,500.00. Either way you will have a wide open space to enjoy.
  • mfwolfe
    9 anni fa
    The pillar and the header help define the spaces. Here is the dining room. Here is the living room. That is a good thing.
  • bobotan
    9 anni fa
    I have this exact layout in my basement after removing a wall. Its load bearing with duct work, so get professional advise before you open up a can of worms. Can wait to see what happens!
  • PRO
    McAdams Remodeling & Design
    9 anni fa

I would consider removing the center pillar and leaving the pillar on the end and the header. I like the room definition especially since this is your formal dining room and living room.

• PRO
    Shoa Gallery
    9 anni fa

very old discussion

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".