Houzz Logo Print
bagofchips

Butcher block island - type of wood if surrounding counters are brown?

bagofchips
8 anni fa
Ultima modifica:8 anni fa

Hi. Our kitchen dining area will have white cabinets dark brown counters (Caesarstone wild rice). There will be an island that is sage green kind of like this one. And the floors are medium brown engineered white oak (Royal Oak Canewood).

If I want the butcher to stay natural (just mineral oil) I'm concerned that walnut will throw too much brown in the mix and white oak could be a little too light. The too-light concern rules out maple / beech / other usual suspects for butcher block. Thoughts? What surface when oiled might be more of a happy medium? I do like walnut but maybe not in this situation. White oak I haven't ruled out - it does kind of give off oa conventional butcher block vibe. But, I've seen so many pictures of white oak I can't even tell what color will it really be after getting oiled, and how much yellow or orange will it have.

Commenti (9)

• PRO
    Sativa McGee Designs
    8 anni fa

What about Cherry

• bagofchips
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

Thx. Was also going to mention cherry, which I don't think is an option. I love cherry, it's just that I think the red it has won't work w/ the rest of the elements.

• bagofchips
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

OK thx hickory is food for thought. I'm not sure it's more expensive than white oak (using only pricing from Hardwood Lumber as guide).

• User
    8 anni fa

My first concern is that it sounds like there are too many colors/materials in the mix. 1. White cabinets 2. Caesarstone counters 3. Oak floors 4. And a green island. Now there is butcherblock being added to this smorgasbord! I would eliminate something here pronto. (I.e. The green island would be my first choice without seeing concept pix) But ultimately you have to live with it. Who came of with this formula for you? Just curious.

• bagofchips
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

And don't forget beige walls, white ceiling, a stainless range / faucet, dark bronze nearing-black cabinet hardware, dark bronze door hardware, a dark bronze pair of pendants, a subway backsplash in colors tying the counter to the island, stacked stone fireplace in various brown tones, an exposed ridge beam stained to match flooring. Need I go on? I get your point, to a point. Thoughtful integration of color has been part of the design from the get-go, to wit my inquiry right here.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    8 anni fa

I think we need some pics but just from the description i would say some of this has to go . I would go with beech from Ikea the Hammarp is solid beech and very affordable it is a nice color that goes with a lot of stuff

• User
    8 anni fa

Well... good luck with that.

• bagofchips
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

PCC- I like Ikea's counter materials (wish Numerar was still available, not for this kitchen though). The Ikea Hammarp comes in Oak as well as Beech. The only challenge is it doesn't come in sufficient width so then you have to rip two pieces and then decide how to seam them. I think I also want something made from longer end grain pieces. It also is not thick enough for what we're trying to do so have to go custom. So that would also rule out products from say Lumber Liquidators or Floor & Décor.

Sponsorizzato

Ricarica la pagina per non vedere più questo specifico annuncio

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".