Houzz Logo Print
rahullz

Recessed Lighting Layout for Kitchen

9 anni fa
I need some help with recessed lighting placement in my kitchen. I plan on having under cabinet LEDs and a pendant light centered over the sink, but the pendant throws off the symmetry of the recessed can lights.

What do you think of this layout?

Commenti (7)

• 9 anni fa
    When the lights are behind you when working at the counter, they produce shadows from your body blocking the light. Then you will feel like the under cabinet lights need to be so bright that they cause a glare, which is not the most comfortable way to work. Your cabinets are not symmetrical, so why should the recessed need to be. That really would look more like a mismatch when looking at it in 3D. Your floor does not need to be the brightest place in the kitchen. You really have not given enough information about the recessed you are using to properly plan a lighting layout. How many lumens will each can provide? Here is something a little closer for good function.
  • 9 anni fa
    Fred, thanks for your input! Each 4 inch LED will be 575 lumens.

Do you think the lights will look too "random" with the recessed light in the center of the room and in front of the window? Should I consider some kind of lamp or chandelier instead for the center?
  • 9 anni fa
    A center light would be fine if the ceiling is tall enough. How tall is the ceiling? Recessed lights are intended to be less noticeable and versatile. It is only when you try to put them in a grid pattern that you notice that one is either out of place or missing. The window is a fine place to center a recessed because it gives the recessed a sense of purpose and unity with the window. I generally use about 300 lumens per linear foot of counter. This would be a recessed light every 2' around the perimeter, but this layout works best for aesthetics. At 575 lumens, my layout will be barely bright enough and you will definitely feel the need for the under cabinet lights on occasion. My layout could almost use one more recessed or a brighter non-recessed fixture in the center for overall more even lighting.
    rahullz ha ringraziato User
  • 9 anni fa
    Here is a slight variation....or two...
  • 9 anni fa
    As Adrian says, a portable island might be nice. This may sway how you want to do lighting in the middle of the area. The area is at just the transitional size to not be big enough for any permanent cabinet in the middle, but too big to not need a little extra light in the center. Usually, the perimeter lights will overlap their ambient light enough to 'fill in' the middle floor area just fine.
  • 7 anni fa

Going thru this now, great question! Any more suggestions ?

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".