Houzz Logo Print
webuser_597376820

Two pendants over long dining table - size advice

Steven Brown
5 anni fa

Howdy,

We currently have a single, large pendant over our dining table. It came with the house and isn't really our style. We're looking to replace it with two smaller pendants, but I'm a bit uncertain on the size range that will be proportional to the table when two are hung.

Here's a shot of the current layout. The pendant is 29" in diameter and 17" high, and the table is 84" x 42". The room is just about 13' x 13' with 8.3' ceilings. We would be adding some discreet recessed lighting and getting rid of the Ikea floor lamp as part of this project, too.

Given the table's 42" width, what size lamps would you suggest we consider if we hang two of them above the table? Some of our current favorites are from Louis Poulsen, fwiw.

Thanks!

Commenti (12)

• latifeh hammad
    5 anni fa
    Have you considered the longer ones instead of two I’m not saying I don’t like your idea but sometimes it’s good to know your options
  • latifeh hammad
    5 anni fa
    Something like that
  • Steven Brown
    Autore originale
    5 anni fa

I have considered a linear pendant -- Schoolhouse Electric makes a nice clean one -- but for now am more drawn to round pendants.

• Steven Brown
    Autore originale
    5 anni fa

I'll add this: I've read sizing guidelines all over the Interwebz that suggest a single pendant be 1/2 to 2/3 the width of the table. But I haven't found much info about the sizing of two pendants. One retail site made a passing reference to 1/3 the width, but I'm looking for more real-world guidance before I drop $$$ and cut holes in the plaster...

• latifeh hammad
    5 anni fa
    Then what you really need is one of the designers who help all the time like Beth H
  • Steven Brown
    Autore originale
    5 anni fa

Bump...any other 2 cents? Thanks!

• latifeh hammad
    5 anni fa
    I found that and I think it looks awesome
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 5 anni fa

I'd say your current one is too wide. since you have lower ceilings, I'd go for something a bit smaller.

General rule is 30" apart. If you like the 29" size, that's your call, but I'd do something at least a 1/3 smaller (than the current one)

here is the one style you mentioned.

However, what is the style of your dining room? right now, I don't see anything in there that would compliment this modern style of lighting. Your table is somewhat generic, the chairs I don't even know, the family style bench and whatever those two console things are hanging out in the vicinity!

Lets get an idea of the look you're going for first, then decide on your pendants.

I like his lights in a room done like this: (this would work well for your table)

or, how about his linear light fixture? takes the measuring work out of your hands

I really like this look w/the dark wall, white cabs, simple chairs, dark table.

I like this one too if you prefer to have the larger pendants

not a fan of the over-sized. But if you like it, here's how you do it!

some other visuals

Steven Brown ha ringraziato Beth H. :
  • Steven Brown
    Autore originale
    5 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 5 anni fa

Thanks Beth. The room is a spartan work-in-progress, I admit ;-) The table and matching bench are the The Joinery's "Whitman" in white oak (which they call "MCM inspired"). The four Bontempi brown leather chairs are from KCC Modern that we bought for our prior house about 15 years ago. The blue metal console is from Room & Board, a stopgap until we figure out the room.

Two of the photos you posted include my front-runner pendants: the PH 5 and the PH 3-1/2 - 3 (with the glass shade). I am pretty sure that two 19" diameter PH5s would work with the 42" wide table based on what I've seen on display at DWR and Carl Hansen. But I'm less certain about the 13" PH 3-1/2. Would you hang two of them over a table of that width? Or would they still look too diminutive even as a pair placed 30-odd inches apart?

Thank you!

• Oliviag
    5 anni fa
    oh, you had me at the mention of louis poulsen. his collaboration with poul henningsen has added so much life and light to many spaces. hope you will use those fixtures.
  • PRO
    Razzetti Italy
    5 anni fa

Here there are some option, of course it depending from the high of your roof, but all our produxts are totally customizable in sizes and colours.

Here some picture of some our creation. More photos and info on our profiles www.razzetti-italy.com

Instagram Razzetti Italy

Sponsorizzato

Ricarica la pagina per non vedere più questo specifico annuncio

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".