Houzz Logo Print
toats

Should I paint the wood?

toats
10 anni fa
I am trying to figure out if i should paint the "wooden band" that surrounds my living room walls. I would paint it white and leave the ceiling wood. Or should I just paint everything white, band and ceiling? lol idk, any suggestions?

Commenti (162)

• toats
    Autore originale
    10 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 10 anni fa
    kathyjohnstonkathy, I think I will work on the furnishings/rug/etc...and once the room is all done, then I will stand back and see if the ceiling still irks me. and if it does, then i am going to take care of it, either going darker or lighter. we have a decent sized back porch, it is very cabin like (well, it is a cabin lol). back porch is like 24 ft wide and about 6 or7 ft deep. cant really make it bigger because the creek is so close to the house. you can toss a rock in the creek from the back porch. but if you scroll up you'll see a pic i posted of the new door i want to put in (i think this summer we are going to get all new windows and doors). it is mostly glass so the view will be let in. I actually messed with the room today, rearranging just a tad, editing, etc, just working with what i have trying to utilize the suggestions made. i will post pics tomorrow to see if what i did today helped at all lol.
  • PRO
    FaucetList, Inc.
    10 anni fa
    You might want to consider a ceiling fan with a light that is contained by the shade. This will help diffuse the light - which seems to be a bit glaring in your photo. Take a look at these options which might suit your space. http://faucetlist.com/Concord-Fans-60-Aracruz-Oil-Rubbed-Bronze-Ceiling-Fan-Up-Downlights-Remote.html or http://faucetlist.com/Concord-Fans-52-Stainless-Steel-Ceiling-Fan-w-Up-Down-Light-Wall-Control.html or maybe http://faucetlist.com/Concord-Fans-52-Energy-Saver-Oil-Rubbed-Bronze-Ceiling-Fan-with-Light-Kit.html
  • Discussioni simili

quale colore per parete tra sala e cucina

Q

(14) commenti
    Salve alessia, credo che per l'ambiente che lei ha a disposizione, colorare quell'intermezzo sarebbe non opportuno. in quanto probabilmente un'elemento grafico potrebbe stancare l'occhio, ed un colore molto forte potrebbe risultare eccessivo poichè vedo un'illuminamento a giorno molto importante. Ciò che potrebbe pensare è di integrare un' elemento grafico con uno di design, Quindi le consiglierei una parete color ghiaccio o grigio desaturato, con una pittura particolare, ossia una dove vi sia possibile scrivere sopra, cosi da renderlo un elemento utile per la cucina ,come appuntare,una bacheca... ma anche se si vuole una parete molto semplice. Non avendo ancora le sedie da integrare, reputo leggermente ardua la scelta del colore. se quest'idea dovrebbe venir meno, credo che un colore neutrale potrebbe essere l'idea, reso importante da elementi da arredo unici.
    ... mostra di più

Too Big? I don't know how I feel about this

Q

(5) commenti
    No! it is not too big, but you should respect its size, (1) I would put a little away from the bed, (2) the middle drawer I equip for the uses of the nightstands, you could leave it a little open, and inside you do the separations for objects .. the nightstands is there, and it wants to be used it.
    ... mostra di più

Che tipo di parquet (se è parquet) questo?

Q

(12) commenti
    Great Lorenzo! Vecchie tavole in legno verniciate, poi scarteggiate per effetto "vissuto" e poi protette con trasparente (se si allarga la foto si vedono le vecchie tracce di fori e le venature) che bel lavoro e bello l'effetto! Grazie anche a chi ha pubblicato il post (mi avete dato una bella idea) ;)
    ... mostra di più

kitchen colors / material

Q

(0) commenti
    Hi all, I would like to know your opinion on material and color combinations ... I would like to go for a modern white gloss handless cabinets. I would like to put granite buy the only white one is the one attached Called ice white. The floor is light wood color. My husband is afraid it will look too old style and not sure if it works with a modern kitchen ! I cannot really see this combination on the net. Most of the time is quartz or marble but those options are outside our budget. Alternatively we should go for black granite but I am not a big fan of white and black kitchen. Thank you all!
    ... mostra di più
  • Kathleen Jamison
    10 anni fa
    Good decision. And at the top of the list along with the door, change the fan/light fixture.
  • sunnydrew
    10 anni fa
    laura- I just saw a featured room with a beautiful white ceiling. I saved an idea book under your name with the photo. I do not know how to post that photo to the discussion. I thought of this discussion when I saw it.
  • Janet Woods
    10 anni fa
    I am so glad you are leaning away from mucking with the wood! Once you get the new door in, paint both the wainscotting and the wall the same warm white- it will be less confusing to the eye. As was said above, get rid of little knick knacks and let what you do have shine. That cowhide rug will be fabulous! Can't wait to see the next picture - how lucky are you to have a creek in your backyard!
  • toats
    Autore originale
    10 anni fa
    Okay, so yesterday I made some changes. I basically rummaged thru my house and stole items from other rooms to attempt to give this room a better look. I still plan on new furniture, rug, fans, curtains, and back door, but these will take a bit o' time to acquire. So for now, I got rid of the red hutch thing and in its place put a chair and attempted to put some decent art on wall above it. I moved the couches closer together, moving the love seat off the back wall and putting a little writing desk on that wall. I turned the rug upside down because the backside was lighter. I tried to just edit what I have so that I don't hate the room so much. Not sure if the changes really made any difference.
  • MarleneM
    10 anni fa
    Your room looks a lot better! More loved:) Just not sure of the chair by the stairs though. Thinking you don't need anything there.
  • victorianbungalowranch
    10 anni fa
    Looks great to me. Not "temporary" at all! And that dark band adds a nice bit of definition and contrast.

I agree that the change in wainscoting height behind the stove is odd looking and would be better if it was all changed to the same height. I don't think a new wood holder will do much to hide it. You could try adding another top rail to the lower portion and just cut out some holes for the light switches, perhaps with a bit of liner molding to mediate the difference. Or lower all of them. But the lower height nearly cuts the room in half, so the higher is better.

As previously suggested, going to the window would have been a better solution. Better yet, move the lightswitch up, or even down, or incorporate into the trim.
  • toats
    Autore originale
    10 anni fa
    victorianbungalowranch, i agree with the issue with the change in wainscoting height....but i am hoping to "hide" it before actually redoing it lol.....

Now that I made some small changes, the wood band does not bother me nearly as much as it did before. Taking away the do-dads and odd little things seemed to make the room more cohesive, lighter, making that wood band as you said, a nice contrast, rather than an eyesore.
  • toats
    Autore originale
    10 anni fa
    sunnydrew, WOW that si soooo pretty! but, i dont have those nice beams. the beams seem to allow the painted ceiling to keep its character...
  • mkritt
    10 anni fa
    I think all your changes look great! Sometimes all it takes is "shopping" in our own homes. I really like your trunk (?) as an end table. Looking for something similar to use with my tall lamps.
  • toats
    Autore originale
    10 anni fa
    thanks mkritt! I guess the changes were worth it :)
    now that the ceiling doesn't bother me so much, i cant STAND the wood stove "tile job" lol. i really gotta do something about that. That's going to be a big job as im guessing im going to have to remove the stove to tile....ugh
  • tennisanyone
    10 anni fa
    Looks so nice with just those changes. I now see what you meant by not having enough room by the stairs for the tv. Can't wait to see when you go shopping what you come home with :)
  • Janet Woods
    10 anni fa
    Looking good!
  • sunnydrew
    10 anni fa
    I like what you have done, looks cozier already. Thanks for taking the time to look at the photo I sent you.
  • PRO
    OasisDesign&Remodeling
    10 anni fa
    Looks good...different angles/lighting makes a difference. The band never bothered me. I can really see how a new door, etc. will help.
  • cristy14
    10 anni fa
    I actually like it as is! The dark wood is so warm and cozy! If you did do it all white, it would look bigger for sure! And bright! I feel like you can't go wrong with either! Love the space!
  • diannadks
    10 anni fa
    For Design and resale value reasons please leave the beautiful wood band and ceilings as they are the best features.
  • cheezewhiz
    10 anni fa
    When changing the tile by the wood stove, just take the stone (or whatever material you decide on) right up the wall behind the stove and cover up the mismatched heights of the wainscoting.
  • PRO
    Barnhart Gallery
    10 anni fa
    (Hi cheezewhiz -- I'm LOL with your username because of the crazy things I use cheesewhiz for, like drawing all kinds of creatures out of their hiding places while scuba diving, and getting my dog to eat his Prozac. Welcome to houzz.)
  • toats
    Autore originale
    10 anni fa
    cheezewhiz, yup, that's exactly what i will do. thanks much! i begged the hubs for a wood stove upgrade, but alas, his logic wins out as we need new windows and doors more than we need replacing a stove that works perfectly :(
  • toats
    Autore originale
    10 anni fa
    kevin, that's awesome, thanks so much! funny that you posted this because i have been on the valspar paint program all morning playing with paint trying to get a color. but my attempts look HORRIBLE, virtual paint all over the place lol. love how you got clean "painters tape" lines. it really helps determine how the end result would look. i definitely don't want to paint the band white, i do not like how it looks......thank you so much for painting it white for me so i could see the end result. I think a dark brown of some sort on the walls looks like a nice contrast with the white wainscoting, but i am having trouble finding the right brown....also i am scared to put a dark color as i am worried it will dramatically darken the room :( but I'm willing to give it a try......
    ps. I'm glad someone likes the wainscoting lol! thanks!
  • PRO
    Creative Visual Concepts, Kevin Strader
    10 anni fa
    Laura. This one leaves the band stained and adds a dark brown. Don't know how "dark" you want to go but take a look at Sherwin Williams "Well Bred Brown", "Otter", "Rookwood Medium Brown", "Chateau Brown" or "Sable". There are darker ones than these but I think these are definitely dark enough
  • toats
    Autore originale
    10 anni fa
    Thanks Kevin! Oof...that's dark.....not sure if i should go that dark? I like the contrast of the dark brown with the white wainscoting but then i don't like the dark brown against the wood ceiling...ugh. Also, would you paint the triangle area if you were me? (The part above the band on the wall the stove is on) or would you leave it a lighter color? thanks so much for all the help, and i will def check out the paint colors you suggested.
  • Nancy Travisinteriors
    10 anni fa
    No it's nice.
  • Lisa Hamilton
    10 anni fa
    If you change that ceiling fan, your ceiling will be darker and you may not dislike the color. Personally I hate lights on ceiling fans. Looks cheap unless you get one with a shade and install a dimmer. I kind of want to paint the wainscoting a dark color to anchor the room. Then the triangle and space above can be your favorite ivory.
  • Lisa Hamilton
    10 anni fa
    Never mind on that painting the wainscoting. Chops up the space too much. Get the door, hang the curtains get the rug down and go from there. What's with the funky door under the stairs that has its left upper corner cut off? Where does that lead to?
  • toats
    Autore originale
    10 anni fa
    beetajane, Narnia.
  • toats
    Autore originale
    10 anni fa
    it is a little utility closet under the stairs. the previous owner was the original owner of my cabin and he built this cabin by hand, every bit of it.....so it has what i call "lots of wonky character" lol. you should see the "handmade/homemade kitchen cabinets".
  • PRO
    Barnhart Gallery
    10 anni fa
  • toats
    Autore originale
    10 anni fa
    Omg lol, exactly. It totally looks like that in there
  • PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    10 anni fa
    I would be very interested to see how "dark" the wood is in that ceiling once the finish has been stripped. Most finishes were/are oil based or oil modified which means they "amber" or darken over time. I would love to know (because curiosity killed the cat) how light the wood is without all that dark, ambered finish.

It would take a tremendous amount of sanding...but the ceiling might be able to be stripped and then refinished in a "clear coat" (a waterborne product that does not amber/darken). I wonder if the original colour of the wood could be brought back which would have the same effect as "painting" the ceiling. You would end up with a lighter ceiling/trim without loosing the wood.

Just a question. I woudl be extremely interested to hear how this turns out.
  • PRO
    D.F. Painting
    10 anni fa
    If you do paint it you will need sanding, OIL primer and two coats of paint.

I do actually like the idea of painting all of the wood white if you want to go for a modern look here is an example of one of my painting projects (just add color to your walls)
    Long Beach · Maggiori informazioni
  • PRO
    D.F. Painting
    10 anni fa
    and in regards to the stairs keep the two tone design just modify it like this

Examples of Professional Painting Projects · Maggiori informazioni
  • toats
    Autore originale
    10 anni fa
    D.F. I have been very, VERY tempted to just paint the whole shebang white....it is a beautiful look. But.....something keeps me from doing it, not sure why but i can't seem to bring myself to paint it lol.
  • PRO
    D.F. Painting
    10 anni fa
    lol yes it would be a major change and it does take a lot of thought. You do have many options when you are ready to make your final decision I'm sure your gut will let you know what will be correct for you and your family.
  • mainstreetschool
    10 anni fa
    I love that you worked on rearranging and changing accessories first. Please do not paint the wood! Your latest pictures show how the tone of the leather sofas 'matches' the tone of the band and ceiling. One of the early pics shared had dark wood, tan trim, and lighter shade on the walls. Stone or brick behind the stove will look fabulous. Use heavy dark rods, high, as suggested earlier, with off white drapes that hang 'heavy'. Find a rug to put behind the stairs that will tie in with the cowhide after you get it. Bring the goat into the room, and put something larger where it is currently.
  • mainstreetschool
    10 anni fa
    The pic was posted by Merritt on jan 5. What do you think of that color on walls and wainscot and stone for stove corner?
  • hazeldazel
    10 anni fa
    I like the OP's idea - keep the ceiling as is and then paint or remove the band. The band is kinda weird as it really chops up the room and makes it look smaller. Plus the gorgeous ceiling doesn't stand out as much. The wainscoting I would remove as well. It just doesn't seem to go with the architectural style of the house (was it added later?).
  • mainstreetschool
    10 anni fa
    That was mkritt. Dang iPad editor.
  • toats
    Autore originale
    10 anni fa
    I'm tellin' you all, this room has me wanting to pull my hair out. I like the pic of the dark brown wall.....but that's just it...i "like" it, like it's "meh". I am thinking about painting the walls all white, that way maybe the room would not look so chopped up. I really don't want to paint the wood now, I don't think the wood is the problem, i think it is the paint. Also was wondering (and this is prob a crazy idea) about adding X to the wainscoting within each panel, in a sort of barn door fashion. Maybe that would make the wainscoting less formal and more "cabinish" so that it does not seem out of place. did any of that make sense lol?
  • cathyjoco
    10 anni fa
    Hi - I am not sure this completely solves the problem with the wood trim on the fireplace - but couldn't you just add another piece of wood to the top? When you get the the electrical - they make 'electrical gang box risers' that screw to your existing electrical box (in the wall) and it bumps it up, or out, so the plate or cover isn't sunken in the wood. I don't think I would worry about having two pieces of wood on top of each other - because I think it is more noticeable that it shifts in height.
  • azhomes
    10 anni fa
    Can you remove the band?
  • azhomes
    10 anni fa
    I would keep the band under the stairs. I just don't like the band across the walls. It is too random and takes away from the height.
  • Maria Smith
    10 anni fa
    Wainscoting idea makes sense but the scale would be off if you kept as is and added X's, it needs to balance with the high ceilings and wide boards of the dark wood to get the effect you are looking for.
  • PRO
    Barnhart Gallery
    10 anni fa
    Hmm, I'd "X" the X's for your space.
  • km kane
    10 anni fa
    @laurabona, it's me again.... EYE ON THE PRIZE girlfriend... Get that door installed. Focus on the big picture! Save every penny you'd spend on paint, curtains, pillows, etc, and put it into the bones of your home. Decorations will come easy after that. Trust me on this :)
  • toats
    Autore originale
    10 anni fa
    kmkane, lol, I know you are right! New doors and windows are a done deal, just waiting on warmer weather. but it can't hurt to mess with the wall paint until then...... :)
  • anne dee
    10 anni fa
    I'd match the spindles to the wood surround.
    At present the spindles have a traditional look not in keeping with the RH you prefer.
    Also the darker spindles would loook very nice with the " trees tryptych" which are now on the loft wall ;-))
Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".