Houzz Logo Print
matt_weisberg

my bathroom looks like dentist's office. HELP

Ok. that's my best description. We're bidding on this house now. wondering if anyone can make aesthetic sense of these bathrooms…without entirely redoing them? don't even know where to start...

Commenti (26)

• Nina Robinson
    8 anni fa
    Too much subway tile!
  • Nanni Lee
    8 anni fa

Maybe you can remove the vanity lighting and switch them for something else. Check out the sale section on houz for a double arm sconce for over the pedistal sink and mirror. For the cabinet vanity / mirror try a 4 or more arm sconce. Match the finish of the faucets.

You could accessorize with amber tones to pick up the door color.; candles, towels could be Amber with navy in a geometric pattern to pick up the diamond tile accents. Light Amber sconce glass shades. Maybe reverse colors for the floor mats choosing navy with Amber or ivory accents.

have fun!

• Seigo Miyake
    8 anni fa

Light gray caulking !

• jbtanyderi
    8 anni fa
    Get rid of the wood - yesterday. Paint the vanity and upper walls a medium version of any colour, then pick up that colour with towels and rugs.
    Doodieshmoodie McGroodie ha ringraziato jbtanyderi
  • km kane
    8 anni fa
    That's not subway tile, just dated something or other tile. Changing grout color would help, if it can be done. Painting the wood would be helpful as well. New lighting is needed. And if you don't want to paint the walls navy, at least paint the trim to a darker tone, perhaps ivory? Otherwise, save your pennies and rip it all out and start agin whenever you can
    Doodieshmoodie McGroodie ha ringraziato km kane
  • Brandi Nash Hicks
    8 anni fa
    Bm hale navy on the walls
    Doodieshmoodie McGroodie ha ringraziato Brandi Nash Hicks
  • Steel Bootz
    8 anni fa

Why are the sinks split up? that's one thing that caught my eye. There's 2 different styles. 1 appears to have a vanity the other doesn't. Next the lines of the tiling don't easily line up. Visually it seems jarring from 1 to another. The shower fixture appears dated. The lighting for the mirror and the tile on the wall doesn't match the other pictures. So what I might do is, ditch the tile style, and replace it with some more modern. Update the shower stall, Update the vanity & sink, and change the lighting. Without moving the components of where the bathroom items reside currently (keep toilet where it is, and bath where it is and so on). But its a hefty price tag when it comes to bathrooms, because its not as simple as splashing paint on the wall. I would also suggest, before buying single items, you match them all up so the work in conjunction with each other. And see if you can get a rendered mock up of it, of how it will look afterwards, before you spend money! my two twoonies worth.

Doodieshmoodie McGroodie ha ringraziato Steel Bootz
  • abb_ann
    8 anni fa
    Have the wall tile professionally painted until you can redo it all. It could last a good 3-5 years. Or you can color the grout on the walls to a color close to the tile so it is not so busy to the eye.
    Doodieshmoodie McGroodie ha ringraziato abb_ann
  • djtedford
    8 anni fa
    Here are some ideas - choose what you like! Paint the vanity off white or light gray - it clashes with the wall tiles, I think that is the worst problem. Then paint the walls a deeper blue gray or gray green, like BM Quiet Moments or Healing aloe, full,or half strength. Switch out faucets to oiled bronze and spray paint the shower metal supports black or oiled bronze. The dark color for the metal faucets and shower frame will provide a better focal point, and distract a bit from the tile. Again, these are just ideas - do what works for you, but I think the bathroom would surprise you with some simple changes. Good luck!
    Doodieshmoodie McGroodie ha ringraziato djtedford
  • arvilla_trag
    8 anni fa
    one pic shows a pedestal sink next to shower, the other shows the wood vanity...?
    Doodieshmoodie McGroodie ha ringraziato arvilla_trag
  • emmarene9
    8 anni fa

I believe there are two bathrooms being shown above. The wooden vanity does not fit the room, IMO. Paint it white and paint the walls navy. I actually like the bathrooms and would love to have a bidet.

Doodieshmoodie McGroodie ha ringraziato emmarene9
  • shirlpp
    8 anni fa

I'd get a mallet and tear down that tile -except in the wet areas, then repair the walls and paint.

Doodieshmoodie McGroodie ha ringraziato shirlpp
  • Judy Mishkin
    8 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 8 anni fa

if these bathrooms are the worst thing that happens to you when you buy a house, count yourself very lucky.

but..... keep in mind you are looking at a combined $50K to make them right for you.... or more. keep that in mind in your bidding. sometimes it makes sense to move on to another house that has cheaper things to fix.

i wouldnt paint the tile if you are going to be on a tight budget. it could look worse and you wont have the means to rip it all out.

Doodieshmoodie McGroodie ha ringraziato Judy Mishkin
  • PRO
    Deb's Inviting Interiors LLC
    8 anni fa
    Paint the walls a deeper blue, I suggest Sherwin Williams Mount Edna because it has gray in it and the tone is softer. The mirror and light fixture need to be replaced. See if you can paint or re-do grout to match the tile, especially on the walls. Paint out the vanity and door. I would use a light-medium gray or match the white on the trim around the window. To finish it off you need a larger rug with lush towels. Possibly window curtain panels as well. The soft-scapes are a must to counteract all the hard surfaces.
    Doodieshmoodie McGroodie ha ringraziato Deb's Inviting Interiors LLC
  • Heather Macdonald
    8 anni fa
    Replace medicine cabinets and lighting. Paint the walls the same light grey as the tiles, the cabinet a dark blue. If you don't use a bidet, replace with a nice bench or cabinet. With nice new fluffy towels it will be wonderful!
    Doodieshmoodie McGroodie ha ringraziato Heather Macdonald
  • Melinda Donnell
    8 anni fa

You can paint the tile! It makes my eyes cross. My mother painted some pink tile in her bath, 3 years ago and it has held up. I believe the paint was made by Rustoleum. Put a frame around the mirror, change light fixture. I love the vanity, but it just doesn't go with that gray tile- Paint it black or a deep gray

Doodieshmoodie McGroodie ha ringraziato Melinda Donnell
  • Doodieshmoodie McGroodie
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa
    Forgive me for the confusion; this is, in fact, 2 different bathrooms. Great ideas- thank you all very much. Hard for me to visualize. What kind of software do you all use; to, for example, "paint" the walls a different color? That possible?
  • Carol Singletary
    8 anni fa
    The paint stores all have paint visualizing programs on their websites. For example, Sherwin Williams allows you to upload a photo, then paint sections in colors you like.

I think these rooms are very fixable. Paint the walls a dark color (like navy), paint or replace the vanities and the fixtures, and add window treatments after you have done all that. No need to rip,out the tiles.
    Doodieshmoodie McGroodie ha ringraziato Carol Singletary
  • hauzzhunter1
    8 anni fa
    Paint out all the woodwork and replace the vanity cabinets with decorative mirrors. A dark neutral wall paint will contrast the tile.
    Doodieshmoodie McGroodie ha ringraziato hauzzhunter1
  • PRO
    Presidio Tile & Stone
    8 anni fa

Looks like old Azuvi tile! I always thought it to be a motel look more than a dentists office. I would rip the wainscoting off the walls and just put painted drywall up in it's place. Replace the shower and floors when the budget allows, but reducing the amount of shiny fake stone tiles will help.

Doodieshmoodie McGroodie ha ringraziato Presidio Tile & Stone
  • PRO
    Shoa Gallery
    8 anni fa

To keep the cost down, paint is your best friend. Paint the door the same white as the walls. Paint the sink cabinet a bold dark color (charcoal), and put that same color on a couple of the walls. You'll have a bold space with a lot of interest. Will be really easy to do as well :)

Doodieshmoodie McGroodie ha ringraziato Shoa Gallery
  • Doodieshmoodie McGroodie
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa

will probably go with something like this...great ideas all thank you.

• emmarene9
    8 anni fa

I like your first example. Vanity looks nice in white.

Doodieshmoodie McGroodie ha ringraziato emmarene9
  • PRO
    Shoa Gallery
    8 anni fa

@matt, which one do you like better? I think they both look good!

• susan2494
    8 anni fa

I like the vanity in white.

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".