Houzz Logo Print
lryan2000

which tile pattern would be better

linda ryan
4 anni fa

Hi, looking to replace the small black tiles on back splash. Have white whitney quartz counter (grey and silver specks) and breakfast bar. Have found a tile called Crystal by Ceratec which is glass with a white(greyish) background and silver bevels. The tile sample in the photo doesn’t show the silver very well.
Wondering if the herringbone pattern would be too much with the windows in my cupboards or if I should just go with the brick pattern. Any comments appreciated.
Cheers Linda

Commenti (22)

• sushipup1
    4 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 4 anni fa

I think the herringbone is way too busy. You want to emphasis the great windows int he cabinet doors, go the most simple background possible.

linda ryan ha ringraziato sushipup1
  • Cheryl Smith
    4 anni fa

Beautiful kitchen. I don't like the herringbone with your glass doors either. I'm leaning towards the top stacked tile With those doors. But the other would be fine too. I love the glass doors buy the way. Reminds me of the tiling we did in the bath in our previous house. A little busy but pretty much the same grid as your doors it was a DIY project with tile from lowes. 2 different Gray glass, marble and stainless in the tile

linda ryan ha ringraziato Cheryl Smith
  • PRO
    Sativa McGee Designs
    4 anni fa

I would stick with the brick pattern as the cabinet glass is busy enough on its own.

linda ryan ha ringraziato Sativa McGee Designs
  • PRO
    Rockbridge Flooring Professionals, LLC
    4 anni fa

The brick pattern offers the continuity of rectangular shapes with your doors.

linda ryan ha ringraziato Rockbridge Flooring Professionals, LLC
  • PRO
    Lion Windows and Doors
    4 anni fa

Agree -- I think the herringbone might look busy.

linda ryan ha ringraziato Lion Windows and Doors
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 4 anni fa

well I like the herringbone but I would see if it comes in a larger size. the brick layout is a pattern too. saying it's 'less busy' is ridiculous. The issue with business comes from the size of your tile. the smaller size used means more tiles and a more intricate pattern, which in turns seems 'busy'.

you don't have a busy countertop. anything you use won't compete w/the glass on the doors either.

use a larger size and a light gray grout

I think you could also go w/the calacatta linear bar. another OP just used this in her kitchen and it looked gorgeous. Tilebar.com

and if you want something darker,,,Diesel Camp Gray glaze 4x12 tilebar

btw, tilebar has this one

and frosted https://tilebar.com/felicity-frosted-mirror-tile.html

linda ryan ha ringraziato Beth H. :
  • acm
    4 anni fa

I'd go with a matching rather than contrasting grout, with whatever you choose. You mostly want function and color, not another design element.

linda ryan ha ringraziato acm
  • herbflavor
    4 anni fa

add a subtle print fabric valance above your window.....yellows...botanical...just somewhat restrained/ with a decorative rod....paint the island stools a glossy green or blue[if they can be painted] . Leave the backsplash you have. the top shelves of the glass cabinets need colored bowls/ mugs/pottery. Nothing shown is any more appropriate than what you have for backsplash. Add details in other areas and you might appreciate the black mosaic a bit more. If I had to change the tile I'd go for a green or blue tile.

linda ryan ha ringraziato herbflavor
  • Sue 430
    4 anni fa

I have backpainted glass in silver metallic I bet it would look nice with your counter.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    4 anni fa

well heck, if you want some blue/green color, go w/the zellige tiles

these are my samples

and I just saw this cool black tile and MOP at my tile store. this would pick up on the black in your beveled glass

or do a black/white/gray cement tile

linda ryan ha ringraziato Beth H. :
  • PRO
    Anglophilia
    4 anni fa

You want to keep that backsplash as neutral as possible. Your "star" is the interesting glass doors in your cabinets. Don't try to compete or "reflect" - it WILL look busy!

I would use a large-size white subway tile with matching grout. It is the canvas on which you have painted your picture - your picture being your cabinets with your countertop in a supporting role.

linda ryan ha ringraziato Anglophilia
  • ll71
    4 anni fa

I think since you have such pretty glass cabinets you wouldn't want to compete keep it simple and horizontal.

linda ryan ha ringraziato ll71
  • Anne Duke
    4 anni fa

Why are you changing? Are you sure a change will be worth it. Insert some color by way of accessories and keep the under cabinet lights lit and dimmed when not in full use.

• skmom
    4 anni fa

Honestly, I don’t mind your current backsplash, but I could see getting tired of it too. I don’t think I would do any subway tile, brick pattern or herringbone... I think either pattern competes too much with your gorgeous glass doors. Can you do a backsplash with the same material as your counter? I think it would look awesome all the way up to the bottom of the upper cabinets, but if that’s too cost prohibitive then maybe 6” up or so and then paint the wall white like you already have.

• PRO
    Jenni Leasia Interior Design
    4 anni fa

We might try the brick pattern, as the herringbone seems to busy for that space.

Lake Oswego Kitchen & Family Room · Maggiori informazioni

Riverfront · Maggiori informazioni

• mmilos
    4 anni fa

I like the existing black tiles. It creates a nice neutral background for your counters and cabinet glass. I think the gray tiles compete too much with the counters.

• Carolae
    4 anni fa

I also like the backsplash you have now. The small black tiles repeat the small squares in your cabinet glass. It’s visually very pleasing.

• Cheryl Smith
    4 anni fa

i like your current tile too.

• stumpydarby
    4 anni fa

Keep what you have!! The black looks great … you don’t need any more white in that space. The small tiles go beautifully with the cabinet doors.

If you have to change, then go with larger black tiles. Don’t fight with the stars … and those cabinet doors are cool and beautiful.

• squitahead
    4 anni fa

I love herringbone but in this kitchen I think the stacked subways would look best.

• Julie Schmooley
    4 anni fa

Those white tiles seem very shiny and do they have silver trim?

I would recommend either plain white subway tile with a dark grout OR keep the tile you have and change all the hardware to black to tie in more of the black color.

Good luck! Again just my preferences lovely home either way!

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".