Houzz Logo Print
prairiegirl9876

Narrow island for kitchen?

Tara Penner
5 anni fa
Ultima modifica:5 anni fa

We want to put an island/bar into our kitchen, but because of the tight space, we have to decide between 24" cabinets and a 6-8" overhang, or 15" cabinets and 12-14" overhang. The island will be 4'6" long, with room for 2 chairs, and we will use it as a breakfast bar.

I can't seem to find any examples online an island with narrow cabinets. My worry is that it will be (and look) top-heavy, unless we put in a leg to support the overhang. It will be secured on one side to the wall, and to the floor if we have to.

We are committed to IKEA cabinets so custom isn't an option.

Thoughts? Pictures?

Commenti (19)

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    5 anni fa

A 6" to 8" overhang really isn't enough room to sit comfortably at the island; people will consistently be banging their knees. In order not to bang one's knees, you'd have to push the chair back too far to eat comfortably. So I think your only option is the 15" base cabs with the larger overhang. Just make sure you have enough support for the overhanging section.

• jdesign_gw
    5 anni fa

Secured to a wall is not an island it's a peninsular so supporting would be different than an island. 6/8 overhang is not enough to sit at. 12" is ok even a little less can work. A plan view would help.

• GreenDesigns
    5 anni fa

Neither. .Both ideas are just silly , just to say you have an island. You likely need a peninsula if you must have seating. But rethink that too if your kitchen table is right there.

• suzyq53
    5 anni fa

There are tons of free standing islands that size with seating for two and storage that you can buy online. Also available with wheels if you want to push to the wall sometimes.

• roarah
    5 anni fa

Do a table "island" instead. I needed extra prep area and wanted a place for kids to eat so I purchased counter height legs butcher block counters and made a table island to the size I needed. The stools tuck all the way under out of the way.

• jdesign_gw
    5 anni fa

A free standing island might work better but without seeing a layout hard to say. Here's one I made in farmhouse style but something like this can be done in any style. An

overhang can be any side.

• functionthenlook
    4 anni fa

You don't have to anchor the island. I would personally use the 15 inch cabinet with the larger overhang. You will need some kind of legs or base to act as counter balance so someone sitting at the island doesn't tip it over. My island is made with an 12 inch upper cabinet with a 13 inch over hang. Mine is movable though. It was built by the counter top installers.

• GreenDesigns
    4 anni fa

Your laminate is significantly lighter than stone. That would be a top heavy safety hazard in stone. Unless you store cement blocks on the bottom shelf, it’s a safety hazard even with laminate

• Tara Penner
    Autore originale
    4 anni fa

Sorry, I got the term wrong. It is a peninsula as it would be secured to the wall. We do need the extra storage, which is why I hoped to be able to use the 24 inch cabinets vs 15.

We h a freestanding ikea island with open shelves on one side and I hated the open shelves. I haven't seen a freestanding one with drawers that I'm crazy about but maybe that's our best option.

• Tara Penner
    Autore originale
    4 anni fa

I'lI post a layout when I'm on my computer later today

• functionthenlook
    4 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 4 anni fa

Stone or laminate it would work the same. It is the same principle as a table. If you put the legs of a table close together it will tilt. If you put them in the corners, the table is sturdy. You just have to know someone what knows what they are doing with weight /base size / and height. No difference than buying a free standing island to put in your kitchen . I have only paper plates and napkins on my bottom shelf with no fear of tipping over. I agree I probably would not use stone on a movable island just because it would be too heavy to move.

• Tara Penner
    Autore originale
    4 anni fa

Here is the layout. This is to scale, but I just traced it from our detailed plan.

The is very similar to the existing kitchen layout, but we had a movable IKEA kitchen table with open shelves. I really wanted enclosed storage, which is why we were thinking of the built-in peninsula.

The peninsula as drawn here is 2.5' x 4.5'

• functionthenlook
    4 anni fa

I can't think of any reason you can't use the 24 inch cabinets as the base for the peninsula . It is done all the time. Your smaller overhang just will not be as comfortable for eating at as a deeper one. I would personally pick storage as the priority. Depending on the material used for the counter top you might not need the support for the overhang since it will not be deep and the peninsula will be anchored. Personally I would use L brackets or corbels over legs if the overhang does need supported.

• Tara Penner
    Autore originale
    4 anni fa

functionthenlook if we went with 24 inch cabinets and a 10 inch overhang, it would be 4" deeper than what our designer suggested, and would eat into that 4' of space between the peninsula and the dishwasher/sink counter.

We currently do use the seating on our movable table all the time, to feed the kids or when one of us is eating breakfast. It will be a tradeoff between storage, seating, or how tight the space will be between the back countertops.

• Tara Penner
    Autore originale
    4 anni fa

The Cook's Kitchen the family room is 4 steps down. It's a split level house.

• functionthenlook
    4 anni fa

Your layout posted before my comment. Seeing the layout now I would personally just make a U kitchen . With only 3 ft space for chairs and walkway it is way too tight. When someone is sitting in the chairs you would not be able to get around them.

• roarah
    4 anni fa

If storage is not an issue a peninsula table at 24 will offer seating. Like this

• SirJohn
    4 anni fa

I agree with going the U shaped for that space. It will keep the kitchen much more open feeling and be more functional and allow better traffic flow through the house.

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".