Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_21808948

What kind of bathtub do you recommend for this space?

User
5 anni fa

Hello,

We are doing a free standing tub in this corner alcove in our master bathroom. The floor is done in a herringbone pattern using a grey-white with a blue tint to it marble. The rest of the bathroom is just a double white vanity. Fixtures haven't been chosen yet neither has the stone top. Should we go with a clawfoot or a more modern/simple tub as listed below.

https://www.signaturehardware.com/bathroom/bathtubs/henley-cast-iron-dual-tub-on-plinth.html

more modern^

https://www.signaturehardware.com/bathroom/bathtubs/sanford-cast-iron-dual-clawfoot-tub-on-imperial-feet.html

clawfoot^

The finish would be brushed nickel. Thanks for the help!

Commenti (30)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 anni fa

How would we know . We do not see your space have no idea of your style and in my experience most people who want a free standing tub have not got the space for one. So unless you post a floor plan and some info as to your style I for one can’t help. BTW no matter which tub you need to sit in it too.

• User
    Autore originale
    5 anni fa
    Sorry dont know why this photo did not attach the first time
  • PRO
    User
    5 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 5 anni fa

Measurements rule. Please provide a measured layout. Although you often see tubs placed into too small locations, a 5’ freestanding tub needs st least 7’ of clear space to really be able to clean around it.

• User
    Autore originale
    5 anni fa
    I will update tomorrow with measurements. I am more looking for advice as far as what style of tub... they do all come in multiple lengths and widths but i will update with measurements
  • cindylou62
    5 anni fa

You must sit in one, if you love long soaks, the back will need to be sloped or you will be sitting in there straight up, which is not relaxing in the least. That could be my 2nd priority after getting size correct

• PRO
    Sabrina Alfin Interiors
    5 anni fa

The simpler the tub style, the better. You've got a lot going on in that space with the leaded windows and the tile. No clawfoot tub, IMO. Get something with very clean lines.

• calidesign
    5 anni fa

It also depends on the rest of the room - what is the style of the vanity, lighting, and the rest of your house?

• hollybar
    5 anni fa

If space allows,I'd prefer the more simple tub in that space.

• Dawn Martinez
    4 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 4 anni fa

https://mtibaths.com/products/tubs/designer/202/

I installed a free standing tub in my master bathroom and purchased it from MTI. I found a showroom that carried their tubs near me, and definitely sat in it. This is something you must do if you want a good comfortable soaking tub. Cast iron, from what I understand will 'steal' heat from the water and be harder to keep the tub temperature comfortable. Looks like you have room, but I echo the sentiments here about measuring the space, also where is the plumbing coming from? You can do a floor mount filler but some of these tubs allow for wall mount, or deck mount depending upon the tub. Good luck.

• Nancy in Mich
    4 anni fa

On the other hand, people like cast iron tubs because they retain the heat of the water longer! I agree with the idea of a simple tub that is comfortable, and a handrail to hold onto when climbing in and out.

• Sammy
    4 anni fa

I prefer the simpler tub.

P.S. It looks like you’re on your way to having a beautiful bathroom!

• K R
    4 anni fa
    Beautiful area for a tub! I agree, what else is in the bathroom style wise? Personally I’d go for the simpler design, it can go with any design style. The claw foot is neat but I imagine it for an older style traditional home.
  • User
    Autore originale
    4 anni fa
    The water supply is right below in the basement. My husband is going to drill and bring it up, i dont know what that means - haha.
  • User
    Autore originale
    4 anni fa
    Thanks everyone. The rest of the bathroom will be simple since the floor is busy. Simple white modern vanity with legs. I will do modern brushed nickel pulls. I think i’ll go with the simpler tub... at first i loved the claw foot but after seeing how the bathroom turned out i agree it will be too much.
  • User
    Autore originale
    4 anni fa
    The room is 9ft6inches wide. What size tub would be best?
  • Sammy
    4 anni fa

If it were me, I’d go for the 66”, if possible.

• User
    Autore originale
    4 anni fa
    Thanks! Any other size recommendations/rules i should follow here?
  • User
    4 anni fa

You do realize that you pretty much cannot drill up through the tile from the underside, right? Tile is drilled from the face side, with precautions such as a taped area over the drilling point, to reduce skid and wobble. Attempting to drill from below will likely either pop the tile(s) free or crack the tile(s). So, assuming you are drilling from above, do you have accurate measurements of the joist locations with regard to the walls and other points?

• Dawn Martinez
    4 anni fa

Your size of tub may be dependent upon where your drain is and where the plumbing comes up into the bathroom. It can be moved to suit where you want the tub, but the plumbing should be identified and done prior to tiling as I've noted above and North Texan pointed out.

• User
    Autore originale
    4 anni fa

I appreciate the help, not really sure how to respond to that and the tile is already done so it is what it is. I have a family of plumbers so im leaving it to them to figure that out.

I'm hearing 66"-70" as far as length. Does this sound like a fair length?

• User
    Autore originale
    4 anni fa

And also, do you all recommend a cast iron or an acrylic tub? I'm learning acrylic is cheaper but not really sure the main differences.

• Dawn Martinez
    4 anni fa

Lay blue tape out on the floor, to gauge size of tub in your space Leana. I hope it works out with the drain and plumbing. Perhaps have your plumbers identify where the drain and water will be, so you can decide where the tub goes and then based upon that you can decide upon size, i.e. center drain, drain on side of tub or end, floor mount filler, etc.

I found it helpful to lay out the sizes of the various tubs I was looking at with blue tape on the floor. It helped my decision on size a lot. Also, again if you identify a tub try local sources to view the tub and actually sit in it, most sellers understand when you're paying $$$ that you want it to be beautiful, functional and comfortable.

Cast iron is very heavy particularly when filled with water, make sure your floor will support that. I bought a very nice soaking tub from MTI Baths, see comment above. They ship all over the country. Many high end tubs are not cast iron and are very durable and beautiful. Best of luck.

• User
    4 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 4 anni fa

My first though it that all those tubs have center drains...and which way do the joists run? It is entirely possible that all three tubs would have to be placed offcenter in the bay due to a joist blocking the drainage hole. Time to check underneath and determine if you can use a center drain tub or need t left or right drain model.

• rainyseason
    4 anni fa
    Also consider the weight of your tub and the combined weight of the water+tub+person. I had picked a dream tub only to later learn the floor would need fancy $$ engineering to keep it from dropping to the basement. I picked a different tub.
  • mtnfever (9b AZ/HZ 11)
    4 anni fa

The PO of our house put in an acrylic tub very similar to the ones you posted. It looks very pretty but, for us less limber older folk, it's too difficult to get in and out of safely. It's attached only at the drain and not caulked underneath; while that means it's too easy to shift around when it's empty, I like to think that it also means that if I ever figure out something different to do, the tub won't be impossible to remove.

Leanna Giannios, the tubs you posted look like they have a separate overflow (that rectangle thing near the rim) and I highly recommend that. Ours has no separate overflow and a remote drain handle that is also supposed to function as a vent but it doesn't work well at all. When a normal tub with an overflow etc empties, air is able to come through the overflow so the tub drains quickly. The no-separate-overflow tub that we have drains soooooooo slowly, like slowly enough to leave rings at the various levels. Even the one time I washed the dog (with a matt inside for traction and to protect the tub) with the handheld shower and the drain fully open, enough water built up to be an inch or so of water that the dog was able to splash everywhere very effectively.

HTH

• Barrie T
    3 anni fa

Hi @User - what did you end up getting? Do you have a finished photo? We just ordered the middle one you had on your list.

Thanks!

• User
    Autore originale
    3 anni fa

Hi - i just tried to answer but i dont see my post. We went with this one

• blue222q
    3 anni fa

Looks beautiful! Great choice.

Sponsorizzato

Ricarica la pagina per non vedere più questo specifico annuncio

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".