Houzz Logo Print
lsamberg

Ikea / Semihandmade kitchen reveal

leah
5 anni fa

Hi! Thanks for all the help and inspiration this past summer while I was desperately trying to learn how to remodel our kitchen. We’ve been living in the new kitchen for 4 or 5 months now and are thrilled with the result!

It’s been a while, but I’ve been meaning to share this - both because I’m proud of myself and want to show it off but also because there aren’t that many kitchen remodels on here that are in our price range and I wanted to show an example for others in a similar bracket.

We bought the house 2 years ago, and it's a cool funky 120-year-old home that's had layers of remodels over the years. It's been well taken care of, but the kitchen wasn't meeting our needs in terms of workspace and storage. We didn't have much to put into a remodel, but felt it was worth seeing what we could do within our budget. I did a lot of internet research, crossed my fingers, and jumped in. I didn't work with a kitchen designer or any other kitchen pro, so it was a huge relief when it all came together.

The whole project came in around $18,500:

• Materials ~10k (Semihandmade fronts/panels the biggest expense)

• Labor ~$7k

• Appliances (fridge + microwave) ~$1500.

The project took about a month from demo through completion (minus a few odds and ends).

Details:

Cabinets/Drawers – Ikea Sektion with Semihandmade fronts and panels (Clay color)

Sink – Ikea Havsen

Counters and shelving – John Boos Maple Butcherblock

Tile – Fireclay Tile, Slate Blue

Pendants and wall light – Rejuvenation Hardware

Wall paint – BM White Cloud

Island paint (and nearby accent wall in living area, not shown) – BM Kensington Blue

*The only thing left to do is counter stools for the island – so if you have suggestions let me know!

Thanks!

Before (messy and full of toddler):

After (from roughly the same 3 vantage points):

Commenti (33)

• Hillside House
    5 anni fa

That’s gorgeous, and I love that you went with such a strong color for the backsplash! Great job!

leah ha ringraziato Hillside House
  • kazmom
    5 anni fa

Beautiful!

leah ha ringraziato kazmom
  • stillpitpat
    5 anni fa

It looks wonderful! Love the backsplash!

leah ha ringraziato stillpitpat
  • PRO
    CAGE Design Build
    5 anni fa

Love your bold choice of backsplash!

leah ha ringraziato CAGE Design Build
  • felizlady
    5 anni fa
    I’m glad you moved the refrigerator!
    Is the butcher block treated or raw? I give mine some (edible) mineral oil (rub on with a soft cloth) to keep it a bit more moisture-tolerant. It also enhanced the color. I don’t actually chop or cut on the butcher block...for that I use plastic cutting sheets or some slabs of Corian from a previous kitchen.
    leah ha ringraziato felizlady
  • PRO
    Anglophilia
    5 anni fa

A true transformation! You must be SO pleased...

leah ha ringraziato Anglophilia
  • rantontoo
    5 anni fa

Well done, You must love the elbow room you gained by shifting the stove down. No fridge blocking the opening, but where did it go? More photos needed, please.

leah ha ringraziato rantontoo
  • PRO
    Lion Windows and Doors
    5 anni fa

Incredible work! What a transformation.

leah ha ringraziato Lion Windows and Doors
  • leah
    Autore originale
    5 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 5 anni fa

@rantontoo - there was a beautiful old built in cabinet in the back corner, which we loved but made that whole space very difficult to use. we got rid of it - which was the hardest decision in the whole process! - and put the fridge in its place. (we also downsized the fridge, the one that came with the house was enormous)

Before:

After:

• leah
    Autore originale
    5 anni fa

@felizlady - butcherblock is just mineral-oil treated. We don't cut directly on it, but could if we wanted to.

• Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    5 anni fa

Magnificent! Congratulations on a job superbly well done. Your kitchen is dreamy. I love the countertops especially- and the backsplash ain't shabby either ;-)

leah ha ringraziato Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
  • just_janni
    5 anni fa

well done! backsplash is lovely. as is the color you chose for the semi-handmade fronts! You must be so happy!

leah ha ringraziato just_janni
  • Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    5 anni fa

Love it, you made the space a pretty workhorse.

i just talked to semihandmade this morning about my laundry room.

leah ha ringraziato Annette Holbrook(z7a)
  • PRO
    Mega Builders
    5 anni fa

Looks great!

leah ha ringraziato Mega Builders
  • damiarain
    5 anni fa

Looks really nice - I like the colors you chose! Thanks for sharing!

leah ha ringraziato damiarain
  • PRO
    Stecki Construction
    5 anni fa

Wow! Looks fantastic! For being on a budget, your project turned out amazing! Congrats and enjoy!

leah ha ringraziato Stecki Construction
  • rantontoo
    5 anni fa

I think your fridge-cab trade-off was the right choice for a better working kitchen...I would have agonized too. You did such a nice remodel.

leah ha ringraziato rantontoo
  • live_wire_oak
    5 anni fa

So the cabinets were 17K? Because you aren't listing the cost of anything else. 18.5K isn't the project total if the flooring, backsplash, counters, lighting, ventilation, electrical, painting, sink and faucet, and everything else isn't included. Please break down those cost totals.

• pdjh
    5 anni fa
    Oh, and for stools for your kitchen, I’d go with something a little rustic and in counter height.
    leah ha ringraziato pdjh
  • kodiac23
    5 anni fa

Beautiful

• leah
    Autore originale
    5 anni fa

@live_wire_oak

Here's a more detailed breakdown, rounded to the nearest $100, which is how I have it in my notes:

Materials:

• Ikea (cab boxes and drawers, cab/drawer pulls, sink) - $1600
    • Semihandmade fronts & panels - $4200
    • Butcherblock counters & shelving - $2200
    • Faucet - $300
    • Backsplash tile - $600
    • Shelf brackets (etsy) - $200
    • Paint - $150
    • Lights - $600

Labor:

• A builder we know here in town did cabinet demo and installation, drywall repair, counter and sink installation for $6200
    • Backsplash tile labor - $400
    • Electrician: 700

Appliances:

• Fridge -$1100
    • Microwave - $400

We assembled the cabinets ourselves and did the painting.

We didn't change the flooring or do any structural or ventilation work.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

• leah
    Autore originale
    5 anni fa

@pdjh - beautiful and I love the backplash!

And yes, counter stools are proving unexpectedly tough - yours look really comfortable!

• Cheryl Hannebauer
    5 anni fa

great job.....

• Alison
    5 anni fa

I love that! Gorgeous!

• traci_from_seattle
    5 anni fa

You did a great job. I love your backsplash choice and the natural wood.

• Tudorista
    4 anni fa

I love this! Great job on a really approachable budget. Thank you for sharing. How is the butcher block near the sink holding up? We are considering something similar.

• leah
    Autore originale
    4 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 4 anni fa

Hi, @Tudorista, thanks. So far so good on the butcher block around the sink, but it's only been a year so I think probably too soon to say.

We definitely worry about it, specifically the area around the faucet behind the sink where water often pools, and would have preferred a sink that went all the way back to the wall (like the old domsjo that we were hoping to get initially). But we figure if it doesn't hold up in the long term we can replace just that segment of counter with something else. Good luck!

• PRO
    Norwood Architects
    4 anni fa

Great job!!!

• Freckle Lip
    4 anni fa

Can you tell me what you mean by semihandmade fronts and panels? Do buy the ikea box structure then make the fronts?

• luscious111
    4 anni fa

Sherri, semihandmade is a company that makes doors for ikea boxes (kitchen, vanities and media units). Then you can use the functionality of ikea while getting a more custom look and way more choices of door.

• luscious111
    4 anni fa

Leah, looks great! Hope you all love it and great job on a good looking new kitchen.

• PRO
    Scott Hall Remodeling
    4 anni fa

Great job, it looks wonderful!

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".