Houzz Logo Print
stephanie_kopf83

Refinishing kitchen cabinet design/color help?

Ignore the white trim. I want these cabinets refinished but I can't settle on a color or colors! I definitely want to go brighter as the kitchen only has one small window. I also very much dislike the flat panel doors. Should we add molding around the edges of the doors and drawers for a shaker look? I'm considering going all off white/cream, or doing the island in a darker gray with cream on outer cabinets, or doing a two ton with a darker color on the lowers with a light cream/white up top. Help me please! I've been stewing on this for weeks.

Commenti (15)

• Stephanie Kopf
    Autore originale
    5 anni fa
    PS The wall color above the sink is the same as the walls, it's just the lighting/photo.
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 5 anni fa

i have to agree. your cabs look great. what don't you like about them? people would kill for those slab front wood cabinets in that condition!

Why would you want to turn those beautiful vintage wood cabinets into white shakers like everyone else? The problem is your current countertop choice. Sorry, but it's just wrong w/those cabinets.

As for lighting, get a pendant light or two for over your island to help with light. it's dark because you don't have adequate lighting in that space.

I'd get a new countertop and turn this into more of a mcm type of kitchen.

look at how beautiful this is.

even staining them a bit darker wouldn't be that difficult (slab makes it so easy to do)

Right now, the flooring and countertop do nothing to compliment them. Look into white quartz, waterfall the island with a little overhang, and if you can't change the flooring, thrown down a runner or something.

Countertop would be the biggest bang for your buck.

can you paint them and add trim? yes.

• rantontoo
    5 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 5 anni fa

There are people who would lust after your slab doors especially since wood tones are making a comeback.

When/if you are absolutely committed to a painting decision, I would paint one door without the trim to make a shaker style first. That way you can see if a different color makes the slab door more appealing to you.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 anni fa

or sell those cabinets to someone who would love them, and install the white shaker cabinets for 3K !

• lindastein
    5 anni fa

following...

• emmarene9
    5 anni fa

The cabinets are very nice. I am a bit confused by the white trim on the island and end cabinet. I do object to orange tones in wood so I am sympathetic to painting.

It would be a shame if you used trim pieces to make them look shaker.

Before you touch the cabinets you should paint the walls white to see if it helps with the darkness.

• Stephanie Kopf
    Autore originale
    5 anni fa
    Thank you so much for the responses. I understand that they might be desirable for some, but the orange tone just really bothers me. I might be able to live with the slab doors if I can just get rid of this orange.
  • PRO
    Coates Design Architecture + Interiors
    5 anni fa

I would stain the cabinets darker and replace the counter top with a light solid surface. Look at something unusual for the Island counter top like Pewter and change the hardware to brushed aluminum.

• Carolyn Oliver
    5 anni fa
    Following
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 anni fa

stephanie, the old top coat may have yellowed, giving the stain an orange tone. those wouldn't bet that difficult to stain. heck, it's the same amount of work if you paint. you have to remove them, sand, (and if you paint, prime, sand again, and two coats of paint). or, stain them once, and give a clear coat. I'd do a nice neutral walnut tone. top w/GF satin top coat.

• Hansen
    5 anni fa
    Isn't it great when people dont read the question? I likr your curren flat panel cabinets, but they will look good painted as well.
  • Hansen
    5 anni fa
    Darn spell check, or lack thereof!
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 anni fa

I'm considering going all off white/cream, or doing the island in a darker gray with cream on outer cabinets, or doing a two ton with a darker color on the lowers with a light cream/white up top. Help me please! I've been stewing on this for weeks. I might be able to live with the slab doors if I can just get rid of this orange.

Isn't it great that she asked for help?

We read the question Hansen. are we not allowed to give our opinion? Did it ever occur to you that maybe she doesn't know that staining them would make them look so much better and actually, in this case, be less work? cutting all that trim and putting it on those door fronts, priming, caulking, patching nail holes, painting them, is a crapload of work. Do you think maybe she might like to have another alternative?

That's why I posted pictures of kitchens with real, wood slab front cabinets. Will they look good painted? maybe. Will they look good/better stained ? yes. 100%. no question. But either way, the countertop isn't a good match.

• Stephanie Kopf
    Autore originale
    5 anni fa

Thanks so much for all your input! I ended up having them painted in a warm white and doing the island in Benjamin Moore Chelsea gray. Here's an update:

Sponsorizzato

Ricarica la pagina per non vedere più questo specifico annuncio

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".