KITCHEN

1 - New Build in Process... · Maggiori informazioni

SCULLERY/PANTRY

Just finished up a new build (actually almost 6 months ago) and I finally found a tiler who I know and trust will do a great job (good tilers are not easy to come by).

I need splashes in two places...the main kitchen and our pantry/scullery. Here is a link to our new build which has photos of both these spaces. It will also give a feel for the entire house.

I don’t know what my style is. As you can see I have a white kitchen but I do not want a white subway tile backsplash. I need some contrast, but not too much. The perimeter counters are marble (honed Bianco Avion) and are very subtle. They are more of a creamy white with no gray in them and the veining is more beige. The island top is walnut. The walls are SW Useful Gray. I am afraid to commit to a color because I will then be stuck with it. I like bluish greens....maybe. I like herringbone but NOT chevron. Subway is fine but not the typical white subway. I like the look of bumpy lumpy handmade tiles. I do not like thin linear tiles. I am seriously considering doing a different tile behind the range even though many don’t like them....I actually do like them. I plan on going all the way up to the crown molding. I am questioning whether or not to do the wall with the triple window or just leave it the way it is.

The scullery/pantry is a workspace and very busy looking...lots of machines and dry goods on the shelves. Walls are SW Uncertain Gray (but they truly look blue to my eyes) and the cabinets are Amazing gray (which really looks beigeish to me). I really think they name all these paints “gray” just to sell them because everyone seems to want gray paint these days. The counters are wood...oiled maple.

I don’t want things to look too formal and fussy, although I’ve seen some gorgeous tiles that are a bit more elegant. I like to mix the feel up with relaxed and some more elegant touches.

I truly need help. I am dreading going to the tile store and dragging home samples.

Here is the stone we have on our fireplace in the adjoining greatroom that is opposite the kitchen.....

Commenti (1,1k)

• Nidnay
    Autore originale
    3 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 3 anni fa

Thanks @Jamie Reynolds Zone 9b

Every decision we made with this build kept natural light at the absolute forefront....from the land choice, tree position, house position, layout, window size and number of windows...everything was done to create a light filled and cheery interior. All choices were driven by that. Takes a lot of thinking! Do I sound a little fanatical? I am when it comes to sunshine and windows :)

On a sunny day...

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 anni fa

nid, I just love looking at your kitchen. it's truly a masterpiece. (now pick a damn backsplash tile! Now that I see it in the full light, a tile would truly be the cherry on top in this space!) Have you given thought to doing a more decorative tile behind the stove or would you want the same tile all the way through?

No really, it's prob one of the best looking houses that I've seen. if I ever got the chance to build my own home, I'd do it exactly like yours. I love all the windows.

BTW, do you clean them or do you 'hire ' out ? lol. I only have 12 windows and I can barely bring myself to clean those twice a year!

did we ever consider the stained glass type of water jet mosaic?

or were you set on having a marble water jet inlay mosaic?

or more of a decorative type of tile. not this one, but something more 'old world' type of tile?

what about the star/cross tile?

• Jamie Reynolds Zone 9b
    3 anni fa

I like mermaid tail or scallop!

• mom2sulu
    3 anni fa

I agree with what Beth said...one of my very favorite houses here.

I am looking at these New Ravenna tiles...they might work for you too.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 anni fa

oh we've all been down the New Ravenna line w/her! lol

• Jamie Reynolds Zone 9b
    3 anni fa

Or gray glass! I like the idea of the shiny glass to reflect all that light!

• Nidnay
    Autore originale
    3 anni fa

Beth....I was actually strongly considering doing something different behind the stove.

That first one you posted is striking. I’ve seen it in a display bath...it was beautiful. I love them all. That’s my problem. My kitchen looks naked :(

Windows. We haven’t had them cleaned ...and they NEED it! I have over 160 windows (if you count the transoms separately). SCARY. Actually, I think this time of year is the best time to get them cleaned because with the lower sun, the dirt shows big time. Thanks for the reminder. I’ve been pestering my husband to find a window cleaner and he has neglected his job! Haha...we will have to take out a loan to get them done. I’ve tried to do some of them myself....so not happening.

Honestly, if I could go back in time, I would probably get rid of the upper cabs and have the windows wrap all the way around those exterior two walls. I would have had to rearrange the rest of the kitchen for more storage. Would also keep the window height the same but get rid of the transoms because they actually make the ceiling appear lower. In another life :)

• Nidnay
    Autore originale
    3 anni fa

Hahahah Beth.....new Ravenna....yes we have! I love them all!

• Nidnay
    Autore originale
    3 anni fa

Mom2sulu....love those!

• PRO
    Window Accents by Vanessa Downs
    3 anni fa

Well i spent my morning catching up on this thread and everyone’s life! Happy Thanksgiving to all! We’re spending it with our daughter in her new home. She up and moved 7 hours away with our only grandchild! We’re so anxious to get our hands on him again. Nidnay your yard looks beautiful and Beth your kitchen is to die for, Flo praying you’ll find the perfect rental, pink can’t wait to see what backsplash you choose and hello to all the others here!

• jillybean103
    3 anni fa

@Nidnay I actually laughed when I read your comment on what you’d do differently. What hope is there for the rest of us? :-)

• George
    3 anni fa

Whatever you decide keep it simple . I really think a simple subway tile fits this kitchen. But honestly , you don’t need a backsplash. It looks great as it is . It doesn’t look unfinished at all .

• ljptwt7
    3 anni fa

I like the cabinets (instead of windows) where you have them, I think it adds interest. Are you thinking a cream backsplash or some color?

• PRO
    Design Interior South
    3 anni fa

160 Nidnay? I have right at 29 0r 30 and I believe it was right around $300......Merry Christmas!

• jillybean103
    3 anni fa

@Nidnay Whatever you decide, it will be a continuation of your other beautiful choices. I hope you don’t steal away from the calm aesthetic. Nothing noisy.

A touch of something above the stovetop in that defined area (not everywhere) would be a beautiful accent. A final piece of jewelry vs. a field of color that changes the entire look.

• a unique, natural material that has a one-of-a-kind quality. Timeless.
    • based on the island butcher block top, wood floor and colors in the rug, I’m seeing harmony with those colors, not contrast. ......e.g., copper.....or bricks.....
    • Pennies or coins from around the world. Maybe coins from a country of your ancestry...e.g., Ireland phasing out their pennies. U.S. pennies are in shorter supply. That’s appealing to me.
    • Have you looked at bricks? Pick up the colors in your fireplace stone? This would be beautiful across the entire wall.

Brick would be an outstanding, timeless, natural material that would complement the entire aesthetic of your home and property. I think it would be a perfect finish that would not detract from the other stunning finishes. You can incorporate it across the entire wall, up to the ceiling. Quality, luxury, class.

• ljptwt7
    3 anni fa

Cooper behind the stove would be pretty! Like was said it would tie in the island top.

• zthar
    3 anni fa

I think we need to start a post "Help Nidnay select a Backsplash" just pictures of tile you love.

My pick

• Nidnay
    Autore originale
    3 anni fa

Hey Vanessa! I do not like when family moves away...it’s sad. I’m kinda in the process of thinking about drapes for my master (9 windows). I may have to get your expert advice when I’m getting close. Just recently installed motorized blinds in the master and master bath.....I absolutely LOVE them.

Frosty.....Yes, I did throw around the brick idea but decided against it. It’s a bit too heavy for the feel I want. Had an acquaintance who had a penny floor in their powder room. It was quite the statement. Beautiful really. They had a ton of interesting and unusual things in their home. I’m not that bold.

I just got the final word that our Thanksgiving has officially been cancelled. It would have only been 12 of us but we were all coming from different places (some from college). We went back and forth on it several times and my husband (who would be traveling from another state as well), changed his flight 3 times already because of our indecision and waffling (the final decision will be the 4th!) One of our grandsons has asthma so we all felt it was the better part of wisdom to forgo. I told my daughter not to tell me if my granddaughter bursts out into tears when given the news! We decided to plan a belated catered Thanksgiving when things settle down.

George....I actually do need a splash because of splatter. Not looking too nice behind the stove 😳

Pink....I have 27 windows in my kitchen/family room alone (54 if you add the transoms in).

• jillybean103
    3 anni fa

What about penny just as the accent above the stove?

• Nidnay
    Autore originale
    3 anni fa

Zthar...hahaha.

The problem is that I like too many.

• Molly
    3 anni fa

Not to mention, this is the backsplash thread. 😉

• pink_peony
    3 anni fa

I’m so sorry about thanksgiving. We are having 12 here and 4 of us are asthmatics. Eek. My son is flying in from TX he has asthma! I have asthma my other two have asthma. It’s so scary. But so is mental health and my son is so homesick . We are eating outside on the screen porch.

ive Been eyeing This or something similar for my BS. It’s all about the color for me. But I like it simple.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 anni fa

pink, Heath ceramics has that exact color tile

Nidnay, that was my problem. I liked too many. but I got so tired of looking at that drywall, I couldn't take it anymore and picked one.

I still think an inlay or water jet would be pretty

or a cool zellige tile

• Nidnay
    Autore originale
    3 anni fa

Regarding thanksgiving ....haha, it’s probably best we cancel regardless of covid. My daughter just sent me a pic this morning of her kitchen. All the windows in the entire house are being replaced (along with the crown, baseboard, window trim), they are in the process of painting all three floors, they are doing electrical work and tearing out walls, she has two jobs and is working from home, the kids are home as well (no real school for MONTHS).....and we all planned to go and stay at her house for thanksgiving. How stupid are we for even thinking of that!?! And I just remembered they recently purchased a new young horse (green 5 year old who needs lots of training and attention).

• Molly
    3 anni fa

That is quite a feat Nidnay! Hope it all turns out well. She is probably relieved she doesn’t have to get this all together in 2 weeks, but hopefully it will be mostly done by then for her sanity.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 anni fa

The waterjet tiles are so gorgeous, that is my pick for your backsplash! But I think I have been consistent on my thoughts for this choice. Maybe you are fine with the painted wall?

• Nidnay
    Autore originale
    3 anni fa

No Flo.....don’t like the painted wall at all! And waterjets are my favorite along with bumpy tile.

• jillybean103
    3 anni fa

Water jet!! Somewhere I thought that was taken out of consideration. I see water jet at the big box stores so it isn’t as unusual /different as is once was.

it Is so beautiful But wish we can find something really different.

• zthar
    3 anni fa

Molly, the difference is, this is nidnay's and she hasn't made a choice yet.

Pink my pic is Ann Sacks very similar to yours but slightly more subtle:

• Nidnay
    Autore originale
    3 anni fa

Frosty, I do agree with your thought of doing something different and not run-of-the-mill (but not so out there that in a few years I’ll look at it and wonder what in the world was I thinking!).

• jillybean103
    3 anni fa

On the other hand...it’s a backsplash. Easy to change.

• pink_peony
    3 anni fa

I love some of the Annie Selke tiles. They are so reasonably priced too.

• Jamie Reynolds Zone 9b
    3 anni fa

I just came across this on Instagram and I vote no backsplash and just do a slab of marble/granite behind your stove! Also notice how they have it going maybe an inch above the countertops all the way around instead. These windows going to the countertop reminded me of your kitchen.

• niccidhg
    3 anni fa

This liquid glass subway might be nice to use just behind the stove if you combined it with something else for the rest.

• Nidnay
    Autore originale
    3 anni fa

That’s really pretty niccidhg!

• niccidhg
    3 anni fa

... ( I am assuming the top surface of the glass tile is smooth - otherwise it would be a cleaning nightmare , lol ! Here is another tile but it might be too creamy ?? .

• niccidhg
    3 anni fa

Of course, you would see samples in real of anything you might consider, so just sending along... it comes in a leaf pattern, as well.

• pink_peony
    3 anni fa

So hopping on Nidnays thread here bcuz I think mine is long gone maybe. I’ve been playing. I have a favorite. and need to order the sample to see if color will work . The program makes my cabinets look cream and my island look neon aqua. Neither is the case so have to see if color works. But here are some options I’ve been considering.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 anni fa

That's difficult. The blues look off and so do the whites, so not sure any of these work? Sorry. I know you have been laboring on this. What actual color is on the cabinets? I wonder if a silvery color might work better? Hard to tell on line too. Heck, I'm no help! I'll look around, even though I know you have looked at every tile out there! Just sometimes a different set of eyes?

• Nidnay
    Autore originale
    3 anni fa

I’m not a fan of honeycomb, but I actually like that one the best. Maybe because the color looks good with the cabs. But it would have to be an exact match with the island color.

Whaaat?? What happened to your thread??

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    3 anni fa

Tilebar just got this in. Terrible screen shot but maybe you can look it up. It’s on their front page but I don’t have time to hunt it up right now.

• Molly
    3 anni fa

I just posted on your thread, hopefully you will get a notification. 🤞

• pink_peony
    3 anni fa

I know the colors are completely off on screen and the program Tile Bar uses. Hence why I will be ordering samples. Mainly showing what I’ve narrowed it down to. The first is my favorite pattern wise.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    3 anni fa

Flo, that's the Nabi Jewel. I have a sample of it.

Pink, I also have a sample of the blue macaubas and white marble in the basketweave. (Esplanade Winter Lake? )

diff color, but this is how the layout looks

it's gorgeous. I have a sample in the black and white option, and the Linen one,,far left. you can see the Nabi Jewel 2nd from right

they only give you two little bars for a sample. Order one full sheet if you really want to see how the tile will look. that's what I did w/their black/white , Cindersmoke, or the Black Beauty.

the other blue/white is pretty. But they are both expensive, sign up for their trade program. you get a nice discount.

they have this design too. this is no cheap date tho. that's why I mentioned the trade discount

Nabi Argyle. comes in diff colors

do you like this kind of tile layout

pink, have you also looked at encore ceramics? they have some beautiful blue glazes, all sorts of shapes/sizes, and you can blend colors.

look at Rain in the chevron. man it's pretty

or imagine this,

but in these diff blue crackles, or mixed w/the marble. they can do 3 or 4 colors

Lapis and Azul wave

ignore the shape, but look at the color blends. so pretty

peacock and light azul in the flame wave

or these color blends. (they literally have 100 diff shapes and sizes)

larger chevron in Ocean

gradient blend

Nidnay ha ringraziato Beth H. :
  • niccidhg
    2 anni fa

For your future reference , Nidnay, - I just came across this tile which I think is beautiful and would suit your kitchen/home. This company offers 3 or 4 types ( ie. crackle, smooth, etc.... ) and this tile can be ordered in over 100 colors.

• mtpo
    2 anni fa

Nidnay, did you tile your kitchen backsplash yet? I have not yet found anything that I like yet for my kitchen that is also practical. I saw a beautiful waterjet cut marble vine pattern but it had too much recessed space between the tiles and marble would stain. I’ve been in my house for almost a year and still dont have a backsplash.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    2 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 2 anni fa

mtpo, I waited a year before I chose mine! I went w/a calacatta and gold Schluter metal vertical grout joints. (rather than buying a tile w/brass inlay)

have you posted a picture of your kitchen to design dilemma for suggestions?

I don't think nidnay has done anything yet.

I wish she would!!

• Nidnay
    Autore originale
    2 anni fa

Haha….still nothing.

Grease makes a nice backsplash.

• jillybean103
    5 mesi fa

Did you decide to go backsplash free? It’s so beautiful and remember how many you contemplated.

• mom2sulu
    5 mesi fa

Yes, inquiring minds want to know! :) Your kitchen was absolutely one of my favs!

Sponsorizzato

Ricarica la pagina per non vedere più questo specifico annuncio

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".