Houzz Logo Print
hesam_yavari30

Victorian Renovation + Rear Extension in London

hesam yavari
5 anni fa

H All,

First time I'm using Houzz to ask for help.

I recently completed on a Victorian detached house in london and am looking to extend out the rear (single story) and remodel the ground floor. i have attached the ground floor plans, Are here any suggestions as to what else I could do with the old kitchen? any thoughs on how i can organise the sky lanterns bigger or smaller? I would like to get a new kitchen in the new extension. here is the plan....

Commenti (5)

• PRO
    Catterall Franklin Architects
    5 anni fa

That makes two of us (we're newish to Houzz!) Congratulations on your purchase, it looks like a handsome property. It also looks like you are using a property professional for your proposed work, we assume you've put the question to them and want another opinion? Either way, and whatever your brief for how to use the space, it is important that new spaces have character, and aren't simply caverns. The extension does look large compared to the original house, so how it is inhabited is vital to the success of your work (and for adding any value to the property should you sell). For an 'empty' plan, the lanterns might be right, but once you locate your kitchen, snug, or dining area, they may be better repositioned. The position, style and statement of the kitchen is quite a personal thing, but depends on how the flow of the rest of the house will work. Noise and smells from cooking are worth considering for the rest of the house's benefit, so perhaps starting with locating the kitchen to the bottom of you plan might make sense, unless you want a real statement, eye catching arrangement, in which case it might be better located on the axis to the top of the plan (on the long view through your rooms). Some owners like to have a dining area next to their new glazing, but with the bi-fold doors shown opening inwards, this will compromise the internal layouts immediately next to (perhaps this is the wrong symbol your professional has used for the doors and they are intended to open outwards - we would never have them opening inwards - due to the compromise noted above and water dripping internally).

Without know more about budget, orientation and period of house it is difficult to offer further helpful advice, but if you would like to discuss further feel free to contact us for a free consultation at hello@catterallfranklin.com Good luck either way!

hesam yavari ha ringraziato Catterall Franklin Architects
  • Carolina
    5 anni fa

That is a large extension! Wow.

What I would suggest for your old kitchen: turn the window into a side entrance and split the space into a downstairs loo/shower room and boot room/utility. Where I'm guessing the current toilet is situated, I'd have a space for coats.

Beautiful gray laundry room · Maggiori informazioni

Tioga Drive Home Build · Maggiori informazioni

hesam yavari ha ringraziato Carolina
  • Pavan123
    5 anni fa
    I'd definitely second a boot room/utility. you need a functional space that works well in keeping the rest of your house clean. Like a decontamination area!
    hesam yavari ha ringraziato Pavan123
  • PRO
    Tailored Living
    5 anni fa

Architects sometime design the building without much thought about the interior. I would plan the interior carefully and thoroughly first and then decided where to best locate the sky lanterns. Ie. you might need them above the dining table or over the island. In this way both your room and the architecture will be in unison. The final result will be much better if your interior distribution dictated the size of the ceiling opening. Hope this helps. Should you required further help, do not hesitate to contact us on 07973 118936.

hesam yavari ha ringraziato Tailored Living
  • hesam yavari
    Autore originale
    5 anni fa

thanks. i may need one of your professional opinion on the internal workings (Catteral Franklin / Tailored Living). just so you get a feel for the property as a whole, here is some images of the property from the outside - 1890s build.

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".