Houzz Logo Print
tony8795

Grey Kitchen what colour worktops

tony8795
5 anni fa

We did a 3 mtr extension to our semi in 2000 and put in a U shaped wood Alno kitchen with Black Galaxy granite, it worked very well. We just extended the 3 mtr extension to 6 mtrs with bi-folds.

We are putting the new kitchen against the new extension back wall with an American type FF and 2 tall swing & pull units on one end, rest will be waist height with sink and extractor going outside via back wall.

We can possibly use the 2 lengths of Black Galaxy granite from old kitchen to form one long piece of 4.5 mtrs, the granite almost looks new.

There will be an island approx. 3 mtrs.

Question… what is the general view on using Black Galaxy Granite on top of Gloss Grey units?

The island will also be Gloss Grey but we are thinking about white Quartz worktop 3mtrs x 90cm.

The Black Galaxy Granite worktops could go into the outside utility area, which is another story, we also experimented by putting the kitchen in the back reception room, the flow does not work with an active family !!

By recycling the Black Granite we will save around £2000 I guess, but I am not sure if it will look nice on Grey units.

Limited cooking with Turmeric these days, although Turmeric experiments on Quartz samples were fine.

Commenti (17)

• tony8795
    Autore originale
    5 anni fa

Hi SS London...

I was trying to source opinions if black galaxy granite would look okay sitting on a 6mtr run of gloss dove grey kitchen units i.e. we recycle our old galaxy granite, or I should I just buy new white quartz ?

The 3 mtr island in front would be white quartz on dove grey units.

What is your opinion ?

btw: your projects look good, I will have a closer look.

• honeypoppet
    5 anni fa

I think it would be fine, see below some kitchens with similar granite & grey gloss cabinets.

An Innova Altino Light Grey Kitchen - Real Customer Kitchens · Maggiori informazioni

Duffield Kitchen · Maggiori informazioni

Квартира на ул. Татьянин Парк · Maggiori informazioni

Coronado Residence · Maggiori informazioni

What are you doing with the old kitchen? The other thing you could do is try and sell it, complete with worktop, as it's an Alno one it should fetch a reasonable price on websites like www.usedkitchenexchange.co.uk/, www.theusedkitchencompany.com/ and www.kitchenexchange.co.uk/

Hope this helps!

tony8795 ha ringraziato honeypoppet
  • Daisy England
    5 anni fa

It would go. Both black and grey blend with a lot of colours. If you’re down to saving money then reuse it. If you fancy a change now is the time to do it. Decisions, decisions :)

tony8795 ha ringraziato Daisy England
  • tony8795
    Autore originale
    5 anni fa

Thanks so for the pictures, I can see the contrasts.

Last year during the extension build we made a mistake and dismantled our 18 yrs Alno kitchen in a hurry, we chucked away the 2 x 90cm carousals, wall units were also disposed. We should have waited and sourced a good German kitchen rather than rushing to Howdens, although the Howdens dove grey J handle (the thicker slab) does look good. We stuck this new kitchen in our back reception room (semi house). The idea was to use the 6mtr extension as a second lounge area.

On reflection over the 9 months whilst we took a break from building, we have found the idea of having a kitchen in the middle reception room allows the 6 mtr extension to be used as a great lounge but with our lifestyle it just does not work... so its back to the old plan, which is to put a long run of 5.75mtr slab of quartz on units below and a 3 mtr island opposite.

We will be disposing the new American fridge as we have decided on a straight run of worktops.

The middle reception will become a cozy 2nd room with TV and wooden flooring, we have discounted the idea of underfloor heating on joist floors.

The extension will have Underfloor heating laid by cutting groves into the screed by JK Flooring, we just paid them to start next week.

We will recycle the old granite into the outside utility area / BBQ area and look at white Quartz for the new extension instead of the old Black Granite, the remaining Alno kitchen units will be re-used in the outside utility.

• tony8795
    Autore originale
    5 anni fa

Riverside joinery... thank you for your comments, you are spot on. Now is the time to do it and just recycle the old granite in the outside utility area.

Btw I looked at your projects, absolutely fantastic work. Its sad our builder let us down badly with workmen who did not know much more than digging, but the dug well !!

• PRO
    Townhouse Design
    5 anni fa

We agree that there is a trend towards light coloured worktops. This concrete door which is displayed in our Harrogate showroom obviously has a different finish to your gloss units but does show this striking contrast with White worktops. We think quartz is a great option but if budget is a consideration, there are some superb laminate options, this quality German display shows a premium laminate version. This is in a different league to standard laminates and would come in at roughly half the cost of a quartz worktop.

Daniel from Townhouse Design

tony8795 ha ringraziato Townhouse Design
  • tony8795
    Autore originale
    5 anni fa

Thanks Daniel

That is a lovely set up, how can I look at the White laminate you have in the picture, I am in Surbiton.

• PRO
    Townhouse Design
    5 anni fa

There are some really great worktop suppliers through out the country, perhaps the Houzz community can recommend a professional near you. Of course if you're ever in Harrogate please visit our showroom.

Daniel from Townhouse Design

tony8795 ha ringraziato Townhouse Design
  • PRO
    Haus12 Interiors
    5 anni fa

Hi Tony,

Picking up from all the previous posts, I thought Id share various kitchens with white (quartz/Dekton/Laminate) worktops we have recently undertaken.

White Dekton Aura light grey units (and Blue Island)

Lullingstone Crescent · Maggiori informazioni

Iconic White silestone

The Farmhouse · Maggiori informazioni

Dekton Entzo

Northumberland Avenue · Maggiori informazioni

White 50mm Laminate with Grey gloss units.

Best of Luck,

John

tony8795 ha ringraziato Haus12 Interiors
  • tony8795
    Autore originale
    5 anni fa

Thanks Daniel (Townhouse Design), yes there are many granite / stone suppliers in our area.

Hi John (Hous12) amazing and inspiring projects, you are north east I see.

• PRO
    OnePlan
    5 anni fa
    Recycle - good for your pocket and the environment ! Grey and black looks cool !! Check out eBay etc for anyone selling a slab big enough for your island too !
    tony8795 ha ringraziato OnePlan
  • PRO
    SUN STUDIO.London - Glassworks and Prints
    5 anni fa

Tony I can see serious approach on the kitchen from you, drop us a call today if possible. My colleague Dragos is the perfect person you can speak with, he leaves at 5pm. He might have some free time next week just to survey your residence with paying special attention to interior design, he has unique background on that.

Right after that we will send you some visualisations on how would our proposal look like like after it is going to be done. It is quite affordable solution for everyone, so don't hesitate to contact us on 020 3870 4399.

• tony8795
    Autore originale
    5 anni fa

Yes its worth a call, as we are looking at a straight run of 5.75mts with low units, the section above the white quartz on the wall will be tiled or we look at another modern solution.

I am away till Tuesday, but will try to call.

• PRO
    5 anni fa

Hi Tony, hope you are fine.

Did you manage to call Dragos?

• tony8795
    Autore originale
    5 anni fa
    Yes, just now, i have a rough price.
  • PRO
    5 anni fa

Happy to serve you, you probably spoke with Robert who might be leaving soon. I will personally make sure that someone takes care about your enquiry and project.

In case you need some help with kitchen, there is also our catalogue here as we do Italian kitchens exclusively from one of the Italian designers, I am not sure if I can disclose the name though.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12eRo3ptROeWWKeO5NKYp9EiDvhRgRBeM/view?usp=sharing

Sponsorizzato

Ricarica la pagina per non vedere più questo specifico annuncio

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".