Houzz Logo Print
maackia

conifer fashion sense

maackia
5 anni fa

Picea seems to have the best fashion sense when it comes to skirts. Here’s P. ‘Bush’s Lace’. I really like how I’ve artistically adorned it with greenery. ;)

Commenti (26)

• PRO
    Form and Foliage
    5 anni fa

Lovely!

maackia ha ringraziato Form and Foliage
  • tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    5 anni fa

I have similar greenery around my plants.

tj

maackia ha ringraziato tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
  • Garen Rees
    5 anni fa

My skirt was adorned with dandelion and oxalis. I finally just got around to mulching under it.

• stuartlawrence (7b L.I. NY)
    5 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 5 anni fa

I love the variety Engelmannii 'Bush's lace'. I originally mulched my Bush's Lace but I was afraid that it would turn the lower new growth brown so I removed it. Now I just remove the weeds by hand.

maackia ha ringraziato stuartlawrence (7b L.I. NY)
  • alley_cat_gw_7b
    5 anni fa
    Looking good !!! Thumbs up!
    maackia ha ringraziato alley_cat_gw_7b
  • maackia
    Autore originale
    5 anni fa

Nice to see there are others who have a few weeds growing in the garden.

This is P. omorika ‘Gotelli Weeping’, but it could be something else. No matter, it wears it well.

• sam_md
    5 anni fa

'Falling Waters' bald cypress with skirt forming to the left.

maackia ha ringraziato sam_md
  • Ontario_Canada5a_USDA4b
    5 anni fa

" I originally mulched my Bush's Lace but I was afraid that it would turn the lower new growth brown so I removed it."

Is this browning a general observation?

• coniferbros
    5 anni fa

Frohburg skirting it's way down the slope.

Can't have too many skirts

• stuartlawrence (7b L.I. NY)
    5 anni fa

" I originally mulched my Bush's Lace but I was afraid that it would turn the lower new growth brown so I removed it."

"Is this browning a general observation?"

Ontario, I've noticed over the years that the new growth on some conifers that touches the mulch sometimes browns.

• Ontario_Canada5a_USDA4b
    5 anni fa

Thanks, good to know, I don't have any pendula growers but I do have a couple of prostrate spreaders.

• Garen Rees
    5 anni fa

Maackia - I'm diggin your omorika. I wish mine were that size.

Sam - That 'Falling Waters' is awesome. I keep forgetting that I need one of these.

Coniferbros - That puddle of a Picea gluaca 'Pendula' is too cool. You would never expect that to be what it is. Will be interesting to see if retains that crazy flat ground cover form.

Stuart and Ontario - That's an interesting subject, wether mulching effects skirts. I have some skirts that I've had mulch under that have no problem with it at all but I've also experienced the opposite. I mainly noticed that my newly planted trees or transplanted trees with skirts usually get some browning. Probably due to transplant shock, stressed tree on hot reflective mulch. I think that having mulch under them in the long run is okay but I'm also interested in what others have experienced. I've seen many trees with skirts that are mulched under. Not having mulch can cause mud to splatter and coat needles when it rains that may cause needle loss as well. Curious.

• maackia
    Autore originale
    5 anni fa

All spruce except for the Taxodium, which is an amazing specimen. Thanks to everyone for contributing. I’m now off to do some weeding. ;)

• User
    5 anni fa

How about a juniper on a standard on a mound? :) The deer got this standard good a few years ago (>60%) but it is going strong. Bonus volunteer peonies this year as well in front left of juniper. I threw the cottonwood stump in a low wet area and its growing like crazy now as this area fills up after heavy rains(all trees on large mounds). Pic from 5/29.

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    5 anni fa

Pete, I've been looking for a juniper standard, yours is an especially good looking, what variety might it be? You also have a nice selection of plants going on behind there!

• User
    5 anni fa

Thanks! Its nothing fancy, just Juniperis procumbens ‘nana’ on standard. Here is another angle showing how I had to redirect its branches with a stake when I discovered volunteer peonies coming up under it. This is my mini “on standards” garden (dwarf globe spruce, blue star juniper, and the juniperis procumbens nana). The “on standards” garden also has a papoose spruce and arborvitae forever goldy which are not on standard. Not sure if Im gonna move or heavily prune the forever goldy.

• liono9_zone6b
    5 anni fa

Coniferbros your second pic shows conifers growing over stone, does it cause any problem during hot summer months with rock getting too hot?? I really like the look and wanna copy .

• coniferbros
    5 anni fa

liono9: The skirt forming conifers seem to prefer the gravel, in my experience. Most of my beds are mulched, and some of the skirts will occasionally get brown tips if conditions are right. The ones in the gravel though I have never experienced this issue. The rock probably has a better ability to moderate the temperature versus wood mulch. Copy away :)

• liono9_zone6b
    5 anni fa

Awesome, I’ll share pics after I finish .

• whaas_5a
    5 anni fa

Only real men show off their skirts!

Sorry just have older pics...

Pendula Bruns

The Blues

Gold Drift

P. glauca Pendula

• maackia
    Autore originale
    5 anni fa

Whaas, those are fantastic! Also, ‘The Blues’ staking is interesting. My effort at staking is not nearly so artistic.

• whaas_5a
    5 anni fa

Yeah I cetainly spent a lot of time staking plants....not so much now as I just let them go free range!

• sam_md
    5 anni fa

Earlier on this thread there was a question about conifers on stone. Here juniper grows over stone, perfectly happy, no issues.

• maackia
    Autore originale
    5 anni fa

Sam, that is a nice pic. All commercial plantings should be so splendid.

• Sara Malone Zone 9b
    5 anni fa

I thought that when you were talking about conifer fashion, you meant something more like this:

Conifer Couture

Sponsorizzato

Ricarica la pagina per non vedere più questo specifico annuncio

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".