Houzz Logo Print
lola4723

Do I really need an architect?

lola4723
5 anni fa
I would be very grateful if anyone could please let me know if I can use an alternative professional to help me get my extension idea off the ground.

I have chosen an architect however I have been chasing for months now to get to drawing stage and as it’s already nearly June I feel it’s time to move it on with someone else.

I am reluctant to use another architect for two reasons. Firstly I have used one before and wasn’t impressed as the final ideas came from me and secondly I know what I want done I just need someone who can do the necessary drawings and present it to the council.

I was hoping to have the work done by September. Now it looks like it may be Christmas if I’m lucky.

Any ideas/advice please I need an additional two bedrooms asap!

Commenti (4)

• PRO
    Resi Design Ltd.
    5 anni fa

Hi Lola,

We're sorry to hear you've had a bad experience with your current architects. It definitely shouldn't be the case that you've been waiting this long for your drawings.

However, despite your bad experience, we would caution against sacking off architects all together.

Most architects will help you along the way to gaining planning permission, a feat that is no small task. For example, our architects will prepare all the necessary information and drawings required for your project and submit your application to your local council, and amend and resubmit if necessary. This lowers your risk of unwanted delays.

Hiring an architect would result in a more logical and stylish final product. They take the client’s requirements into account when creating a structural drawing of the possible extension, and can revise these drawings in the case of client queries. This results in a perfect final design, and a more efficient use of space with a creative edge - and consequently, a higher resale value on the property, which cancels out the initial architectural costs. Not to mention, a renovation that the client is delighted and excited by.

What many don’t realise is that hiring an architect, in the long term, is a great way to save your much needed cash. Most contractors do not have the relevant skill sets, which results in a muddled design. The job of an architect is both to unlock hidden space, and to avoid contractor blunders - this results in you getting the best possible build for you budget. Not only this, but architects are able to create a long term plan that is designed to fit your budget, so that scary costs are not racking up out of the blue.

Timing wise, we would say it's unlikely for your build will be completed by September, if that's your goal. Even if your renovation is within your Permitted Development Rights, you will still be waiting 8 weeks for the council to OK your build, and even after that, you’ll be hiring structural engineers, perhaps sorting out party wall matters, and putting your project up for tender. We would advise to try and take pressure off, and extend your timing expectations. However, our team could produce designs within two weeks, which would shorten your time scale.

I hope this helps Lola, good luck with your extension and please let us know if we can help!

• PRO
    ENZO ASSOCIATES
    5 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 5 anni fa

You need a chartered architectural technologist! ;)

In all seriousness your architect may have bigger projects on or simply overstretched so try to avoid knee jerk reactions. Speak with your architect to see what the situation is and take it from there. You would have to wait some time for a good builder too. So even if you had your planning and building regs sorted you might find yourself having to wait two more months before you could start?

Best of luck nevertheless!

• lola4723
    Autore originale
    5 anni fa
    Thank you RESI and ENZO Associates for your replies you have made valid points. My architect has been in touch today and has agreed to go over his initial ideas at the end of this week. which we are going to be tweaking. He is very busy which I guess is a good thing. I will just have to be a little more patient.
  • PRO
    ENZO ASSOCIATES
    5 anni fa

There you go!

Panic over. For now!

Sponsorizzato

Ricarica la pagina per non vedere più questo specifico annuncio

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".