Houzz Logo Print
mommyo4

honest opinion on rug & curtains

Tracy C
6 anni fa
I posted several times in here and many people recommended adding curtains and a rug to this room so I did a little decorating this week. Do you think- honestly - the rug is too colorful for my decor or style of room? I can return it. what about the curtains? Are they too bland. I'm getting a steamer to get all the wrinkles out but besides that what do you think about them? should I have gone for a light gray or white? my walls are very pale grayish blue.

Commenti (33)

• suezbell
    6 anni fa

Liking all those windows -- plenty of natural light.

Rug works well with the sofa and wall color. Curtains not so much.

Curtain color seems ... off.

Rod being visible isn't preferable. By using a double rod and curtains with a rod pocket rather than using rings, you can add a valance across the top to cover the rod and end up with a more finished look.

Drapes or curtains actually touching the floor is a pet peeve of mine. Yes, I know it is or was a fad but it always seems sloppy to me. Almost -- less than a half inch from the floor -- is a better look

Perhaps you could pick a darker color from the rug that you especially like for your next drapes.

Alternately, you could add white wood louvered shutters to all five windows.

• phunkeemum
    6 anni fa

Love the rug. Might try to match drapery to furniture and swap out white table for a round wood one in the tones of your mantle.

• everdebz
    6 anni fa

Rug has much white? table white? those and soft sofa, ok...

but not together with much stone.... something is 'off'.

• everdebz
    6 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 6 anni fa

If the table is contemporary, smooth and stark - then it's contrasting a lot with rustic stone. Even detracting from your rug.

The rug has a bit much pattern, imo... if you really love the rug, maybe the best thing would be too alter/ paint table a medium tone.

• User
    6 anni fa

I think the rug works but would work better if there were a few bits of color around the room (like easily maybe a pillow or two on the seating for example).

• bethdeg
    6 anni fa
    The coffee table is fighting with the other elements in the room.
    Can you change it? Something softer and round would work.
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    6 anni fa

Hard to say. Quite a bit in there seems fighting each other. Lighting is a culprit ...........very cold and not nearly enough, . Coffee table is too icy cold with hearth.

• loobab
    6 anni fa

The rug is great! Why not get some throw pillows that pick up on the rug colors. There is nothing wrong with the length of the curtains, but the color isn't great, what might work better is the ivory of the window trim which also matches the ivory in the rug. The cocktail table doesn't seem to match the other things in the room.

• C Renee
    6 anni fa
    Pretty room! However, I would get a lower, more rustic coffee table. And the curtains need to be more vibrant. The rug is gorgeous!
  • graywings123
    6 anni fa

Rug is great. Drapery length and drapery rod are great. The drapes seem to be a little off color from the walls - walls look grayish and the drapes look pinkish on my monitor. But they may look better together in real life.

• Melissa R
    6 anni fa

I agree with the others; rug works, coffee table and curtains don't. As others have said maybe pick up a color from the rug and use as curtains and pillows.

• party_music50
    6 anni fa

Your rug is beautiful! I think you should take/post pictures in natural daylight to get a better representation of the colors in the room though, because my monitor is showing a greenish-beige for your walls....

• Carrie B
    6 anni fa

Agree with the others. I'd love to see some pillows in the orange/reds of the rug. Maybe even orange/red in the curtains. Also agree about the coffee table. Does the dead animal have sentimental value?

• Indigo Rose
    6 anni fa

I agree with party_music; please add daylight pics - maybe also one of the room with the table removed to see how that affects the other elements.(including the curtains). I really like the soft, subtle feel of the room, but the harsh lines of the coffee table immediately strikes me as fighting that effect, and too contemporary. It appears that it may be too tall, and additionally, the shape appears too repetitive in the room - see the cube shape of the table, and the table legs repeating the windows and fireplace openings? Maybe a larger, lower coffee table with a glass top to almost disappear and let more of the pretty rug shine. . However, the curtains may be fine, lets see them with the daylight. And I absolutely disagree with the suggestion of valences - often considered too fussy these days.

• imhofan
    6 anni fa

What a great space; love your fireplace/stacked stone!

IMO your rug is not working with your FP--too much focal on both. Keep your rug more neutral to avoid a war between the two.

Re: Drapes. I would strive for more contrast with your walls. Large scale pattern here to balance the strong pattern of FP and bring the eye up.

Heading out but will post pics/images later today.

• C Renee
    6 anni fa
    And just an idea...I would put the end table that’s near the fireplace on the other end of the sofa that doesn’t have one. That would open up the space around your fireplace.
  • PRO
    Oakville Real Estate
    6 anni fa

Rug is nice and it works. Coffee table and curtains don't.

• eidsnessgirl
    6 anni fa

Trophy mount over fireplace and small antlers ( looks like anyway) on curio cabinet really don’t go with rest of decor. I agree that coffee table needs to be softer - if you get a wood one the rug wouldn’t be such a focal point. Agree you need pillows to bring in some color. What about some lamps on the side tables? You need some different lighting sources.

• PRO
    Oakville Real Estate
    6 anni fa

With the existing coffee table. But I still think it needs to go.

• Mrs. S
    6 anni fa

Oh, I love that rug! It's so pretty and I like way Tatjana above brought out the warm tones with a couple of toss pillows. Your room looks so warm and cozy to me. I agree that if it were me, I'd go with a whiter tone with the curtains, to pull the lighter/whiter color from the carpet. I don't dislike the coffee table, in Tatjana's picture, it starts to make sense with the more contemporary sofas, and contemporary lamp.

• er612
    6 anni fa

I love the rug. Definitely keep it. I would replace the curtains with ones that match the background of the rug.

Also, move the Africa cutout to a larger wall.

• jama7
    6 anni fa

Yes, the coffee table seems to be the intruder here. It's just tooo white, too contemp, jumps out at you. It's hard to tell from this angle but perhaps a long rectangular might be a better fit? Are you planning on lamps? I know you've probably got that "no outlet available when the furniture is floating" problem but it appears you could reach the wall with an extension cord allowing for a lamp where the poster above put one. A floor lamp on the sofa end nearest us in the photo? Incandesent lighting changes EVERYTHING for the better. Instant warmth. Right now it's a little icy looking.

The drapes aren't awful but I'd first like to see a daylight shot or with lamps. (If you'd get them) I have IKEA Lenda drapes about that color and they work surprisingly well with many colors. I don't see white drapes or anything white on the windows. LOVE the rug.

I think the trophy is fine but the little cupboard seems out of place. So....improved lighting then post again? Perhaps steal a few lamps from another room just to compare?

• jama7
    6 anni fa

IF you trade in the drapes for blue or another color please don't get any in a shiny, slick material. (Sooo much of that out there) A linen or nubby texture would be what you'd want here.

• maddielee
    6 anni fa

Rug is great, I would try heavier looking curtain rods. Yours look a little skimpy.

• grapefruit1_ar
    6 anni fa

Your rug/room are beautiful! I agree that the curtain color and coffee table for not work. You also need LAMPS so that you never have to use the harsh overhead lighting. That lighting might be what is throwing everything off.

• lawsonch19
    6 anni fa

I love the rug! Please move the white cabinet a bit to the right so that it doesn't obstruct the curtain panel. Agree with others about the coffee table. You're off to a great start with your room!

• just_terrilynn
    6 anni fa

You did a nice job of it! Some pillows to tie it all in and a different coffee table will do the trick. I would do some sort of caved coffee table. Maybe something with India influences to better blend the styles. Maybe something like this (?) to better help tie in the biggest center of attraction " the rustic fireplace with deer head".

A nod to rustic with a feminine spin?

• Tracy C
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa
    would this coffee table work?
  • PRO
    Oakville Real Estate
    6 anni fa

Found this similar one on Houzz

• kulrn
    6 anni fa

That's a great price for a coffee table. Looks nice!

• loobab
    6 anni fa

Hi Tracy-

If you cannot afford to buy another coffee table, can you paint the white parts of your existing coffee table? What is the table made of? There are paints that can cover just about every surface. The inlay is interesting, just protect that if it is genuine something or other. If it doesn't turn out nice, well, all you have lost is some time and a small can of paint, maybe only a can of spray paint.

You have some very interesting natural found objects on your tables and in the cabinet. Instead of the sign and stars, why not display some of them on your mantel and then periodically rotate them. Two objects on the left, and three on the right, and in varying heights, and they should have interesting texture.

The tall cabinet looks like a vintage medical or dental cabinet. Do you think it goes with your living room decor?

Do you want the Africa plaque to disappear or stand out? If you want it to show, paint it a different color than the wall. If you want it to be a conversation starter, put little stars on it to represent the places you have visited. You don't need to be an artist, you can buy star stickers at any stationery store.

• Rebecca
    6 anni fa

That’s a beautiful room to work with, Tracy C. Can I ask where you purchased the rug? Thank you.

Sponsorizzato

Ricarica la pagina per non vedere più questo specifico annuncio

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".