Houzz Logo Print
starrmom999

Trying to decide what floors to put in my house in all public areas

Barbara
6 anni fa
At this time we have carpet in living room, laminate in family room and travertine in hallways, bathrooms, dining room and kitchen. It is a 3200 square foot one story house in Southern California. We have laminate in all four bedrooms. We like low maintenance, we like to cook (so there are spills in the kitchen) and we have an 80 pound Black Lab. What started our dilemma is redoing our kitchen. We plan on white shaker style cabinets with quartz that looks like marble counters. My husband would like the luxury vinyl that looks like wood. I am considering porcelain tile or laminate that looks like wood. Any suggestions?

Commenti (3)

• lucywilliam1
    6 anni fa

i would keep the travertine. pics? i love real wood throughout in my opinion. light so scratches blend well.

• PRO
    Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
    6 anni fa

Since I'm not a fan of travertine I'd say rip it up.

Laminate isn't the best for kitchens since it sucks up any spills and can warp easily. LVP is an option, but it can look cheap depending on the selection.

I would either go real wood or tile planks. Those two would look the best and hold up the best.

• PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    6 anni fa

I'm not a fan of laminate in kitchens either. It is an upset waiting to happen (I estimate a laminate in a kitchen will offer 7 years of life...and then you need a new floor). Your climate indicates that tile is MORE than acceptable as a floor. Usually only hot climates accept tile as a "whole home" flooring option.

Be aware that vinyl has issues with heat and direct sunlight. Before you move to vinyl I HIGHLY recommend you check to see how HOT some of the areas by the windows get (get a little indoor thermometer with a humidity rating on it and sit it in the direct sunlight). If it gets hotter than 85F you can't have vinyl.

Check to see if your windows have high enough UV ratings. If they don't the vinyl can also discolour even if the heat isn't too high. And check your humidity levels in the air. Vinyl still needs normal relative humidity levels to be maintained (35% - 65%) year round.

Whew. Tile sounds pretty good right now.

Sponsorizzato

Ricarica la pagina per non vedere più questo specifico annuncio

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".