Houzz Logo Print
suzmcwhorter1

Staining over a dark stain

suzmcwhorter1
6 anni fa
My beams are currently a dark stain. I would like to lighten them up a bit. How can I do that when they are already dark? Would I do a Grey wash/white wash? I’m currently Remodleing entire house to lighter colors...

Commenti (13)

• mindshift
    6 anni fa

The easiest way to lighten a dark stain is by painting over it with a diluted paint and water mixture. You can use a 1:1 ratio or a thinner mix of 1:3 ratio or greater. This dilution rate varies in every how-to I've ever read, so it's very much a judgement call. I recommend you test your paint/water mixture on scrap wood before starting on the beam.

The surface you paint over should not have a sealer such as varnish or
    polyurethane and it's best to remove such a finish. A ceiling beam is
    less likely to have such a sealer, but everything I've ever read
    recommends removing any sealer. In any case, you should lightly sand the
    surface to scuff it so the paint sticks well.

Paint the thinned mixture on then step back to really look at it. If it isn't light enough you can always add another coat. You can remove excess color by wiping off paint before it has dried. Wiping off can also give a distressed or antiqued appearance. Some people use several coats of a very dilute mixture. Others paint on then wipe off immediately. This is why doing tests on scrap wood is so important.

There is a more complicated method to actually LIGHTEN STAINED WOOD using wood bleach.

• suzmcwhorter1
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa
    Thank you! I was thinking about trying a Grey paint wash - I also saw where you could use chalk paint? I will definitely try scrap boards for sure!
  • User
    6 anni fa

I think by wood bleach, you might be looking for oxalic acid. Definitely want to read up on how to use that before diving in. Just my two cents :)

• suzmcwhorter1
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa
    What color paint would you recommend to dilute and put over dark stained beams?
  • PRO
    Marylou Fraser Interiors
    6 anni fa

use a product called Binz to cover up the stain and then paint it.

• suzmcwhorter1
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa
    Here is the look I am going for with the beams-
  • gustaruygers
    6 anni fa
    Wow, that's a minuscule difference. Is it worth it?
  • miacometlady
    6 anni fa
    Finish the upgrades. Live with the beams for a few months. You may like them.
  • suzmcwhorter1
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa
    You can’t tell from the pics but the beams are much redder in appearance- I’d like them to be all around lighter- grey washed look weather wood look- here are some other before shots- yes I won’t touch them until I have completed my complete renovation of painting/window treatments, floors, kitchen cabinets and countertops:)
  • zoey432
    6 anni fa

Suzmcwhorter1- what did you end up doing with your beams? You can absolutely do a white or light gray wash over your dark stain. There's little work required if they were not sealed after the dark stain was applied. I'm doing the same thing to a console table. You don't need to buy chalk paint, you can dilute any water based latex paint. You will probably want a matte or low sheen.

• suzmcwhorter1
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa
    I’m waiting to paint rest of room first to figure out what I want to do! I’m almost there!
  • zoey432
    6 anni fa

Good luck with everything. Renovations are both exciting and frustrating :) Please post some pictures afterwards.

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".