Houzz Logo Print
thepicturehouse

Do property professionals think using a pro-photographer is important?

Jane Thorpe
6 anni fa
Ultima modifica:6 anni fa

As an interior designer, architect, estate agent or other property professional, you are in the business of producing things of beauty that you want people to buy or see what you are capable of, or, in the case of the estate agent, presenting what you are trying to sell in the best possible way to attract buyers.

You want to attract more business and the best way of achieving that is to show what you have done previously, so how do you go about that?

Would you take your brand new DSLR out of it's case and take some photos yourself?

Would you whip out the latest i-phone and get some creative shots?

Would you employ a professional?

If you don't employ a professional do you believe you are getting the best results possible?

What are the barriers that prevent you from employing a pro photographer?

Commenti (11)

• Nav Singh
    6 anni fa

I dont hire a professional photographer but most estate agents offer that as a free package and they want to take there pictures in high quality.

iPhone pictures just isn't professional and doesn't have the same quality as a SLR so always a professional camera.

• Jane Thorpe
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

Thanks for your comment. I agree that estate agents should include photos as part of their package, however simply having a DSLR camera does not a photographer make; evidenced by the myriad of dreadful photos on estate agents websites. I agree of course, that I-phones are absolutely not up to the job, but was curious to know if some people think the images they produce are acceptable....? Also interested to know if architects, interior designers are more inclined to, and can see the benefits of, using a pro photographer?

• PRO
    Jemimah Barnett
    6 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 6 anni fa

I'm a Buyer Agent (representing the buyer), which is sort of the opposite of an Estate Agent (whose job is to sell stuff).

I'm constantly astounded at the poor quality of presentation and photography that I see in the market. It's worth noting though that we have been in a rising market (a "seller's market") for many years... that is starting to turn (as property prices are cyclical) and this may be a good stimulus, flushing poor stock and poor agents from the market, or at the very least forcing them to raise their game!

I very often help people buy properties they intend to use for investment (buy to let) and in these case I always assist them to get the properties furnished and styled professionally, and then arrange pro photography on their behalf. I don't mind doing this, and it's a win for them as I can access trade rates for them (which I don't 'mark up').

In London and the surrounding areas I find Photoplan to be very good. For less than £500 they'll take 30 photos, draw up a pro floor plan and edit the images. Considering how affordable that is it's a bit nuts not to do it, right? (I should mention that I'm in no way affiliated with them, just approve of their work)

Rules of property:

1. You can't get sales/rentals without offers

2. You won't get offers until you get people in the property, and impress them

3. You won't get them into the property if it looks crap in pictures!

:)

This is such a well-worn topic that there is actually a hilarious website dedicated to just this - terrible real estate photos. It's pure gold, and pros of all kinds will enjoy it!

Check out http://terriblerealestateagentphotos.com/ for a bit of a giggle. And lot's of "Nooooooo!" and "Seriously though?!?!"

• Jane Thorpe
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

Thanks for that Jemimah, I hope the tide is turning, and I think that it is. I think agents are now starting to realise that the images they use reflect on them, poor images = poor agent in a buyers mind, and good pictures make absolutely perfect business sense.

• PRO
    Juliettes Interiors Ltd
    6 anni fa

I think people vastly underestimate the true value and techniques of professional photographers. We would always employ a pro. For some reason a lot of people think they can produce the same results on a phone, or without any professional knowledge. We agree with the previous comment wholeheartedly, poor images = a company with no understanding of marketing and no pride in the products or services they sell. Never underestimate the power of the image!

• Jane Thorpe
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

OnePlan, I would be interested to know whereabouts you are? For a small scheme, I think most photographers could offer you a half day rate, or even less, particularly if you would be a regular customer, and is it really so expensive? Compare that to the positive representation of your company and your work, as opposed to that given by poor quality imagery. Good photography should be an investment, and reap it's rewards in the quality and amount of new custom you receive. Photographers invest huge amounts of money in their very expensive equipment, and also time in post shoot editing, so you should expect to have to pay a far price for a job well done.

• Jane Thorpe
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

Thank you Juliette Interiors, good to know that the message has got through to some!

• PRO
    West London Kitchens
    6 anni fa

We ALWAYS use a professional photographer to photograph the kitchens we design and install. The professionals have the required equipment, technology and eye required to achieve the right images. We consider the additional cost an investment in helping to sell our services and money well spent. I'm a keen amateur photographer myself with plenty of decent kit but for my business website I will always prefer professionally taken photos.

• Jane Thorpe
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

That's really good to hear!

• Pallas
    6 anni fa

A professional photographer will take better photos with an Iphone than Jane/Joe Public with an expensive DSLR. There are many astoundingly terrible property photos out there taken by people who have no sense of how to frame a room -- the price or type of camera can't help you there. It's the eye that matters.

My two biggest bugbears are firstly, photos taken with stupid wide-angles, where you can see the straight row of kitchen cabinets warp and curve at the edges. The details get binned; I won't read the info and won't go see the property. Secondly and more personally, Ioathe, loathe, loathe high-dynamic-range shots of interiors. Tooth-gratingly nasty -- don't know why, just evokes that response for me.

Sponsorizzato

Ricarica la pagina per non vedere più questo specifico annuncio

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".