Houzz Logo Print
dianna912

Is this acceptable?

Dianna
6 anni fa

These drawers were supposed to be the highlight of my pantry. Instead, I'm not thinking I'm going to have to paint them, as I think the stain looks horrible. Am I overreacting?

Commenti (29)

• townlakecakes
    6 anni fa

The stain looks pretty mottled in the pic, but I don't see how they were supposed to be the highlight if they're hidden behind doors. Other than functionally, I mean.

• Dianna
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

This is the "inspiration" pic we sent the cabinet maker.

• palimpsest
    6 anni fa

What are they made out of?

• Kate
    6 anni fa

What wood are they made out of? Beside the splotchiness, it doesn't look like the right type of wood was used to be able to get that lovely grain.

• lisadlu16
    6 anni fa

I would be disappointed too. Are they wood or some sort of board they tried to stain? I would work with the cabinet guy on a redo. The drawers look made correctly to your inspiration photo but the finish is all wrong.

• Dianna
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

They never asked about wood type. I was very specific that I wanted it to look like the picture. Another contractor thought it was birch.

• Dianna
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

Birch plywood, actually, based on the edges.

• Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    6 anni fa

I think you should have a talk with the cabinet people and let them know you cannot accept this. I love the larder cupboard you wanted. If the cabinet maker could not deliver what he/she promised, then there has to be an agreement about how to fix this.

• Dianna
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

It's on a long list of screw ups from these guys. I just wanted to make sure this couldn't be considered normal variation. I love wood variation and grains. This? Not so much.

• PRO
    R J Hoppe Inc
    6 anni fa

What does "looks like" mean? I can pull out 10 separate white plastic laminate samples each one different from the next but each one a shade of white that "looks like" the other. I think a case can be made that the drawers "look like" the inspiration pic. Your drawers seem to be maple or birch stained walnut and the inspiration pic seems to be walnut.

Most of the furniture industry is based on smoke and mirrors, making a cheaper quality wood "look like" a more expensive one. Had I been your maker I would have assumed the wood species you wanted to be Walnut and priced accordingly.

However, and its a big however taking all the "looks like" out of the equation, did you ask for a sample of the finish prior to fabrication? If yes and they did not match that finish shame on them. If no then shame on you because you received something that "looks like" something else.

• Miranda33
    6 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 6 anni fa

While I agree with the above posts that say it's not like your photo, I do not agree it's a "screwup with these guys". I've never heard of doing such a custom piece without discussing the wood to be used. Sorry, that's on you. So, I would approach them not accusatory, but more "I should have said I wanted walnut like in the photo" (a top-tier wood by the way, so you will need to spend $$$ for it).

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    6 anni fa

Maple and Birch don't accept stain as well as other woods (ie. walnut, cherry, oak..etc). They have characteristics natural to the wood (ie pitch pockets...etc) that can give it a splotchy appearance when stained a medium to dark finish. Plus, the wood just doesn't absorb the stain. This is why some manufacturers use a pre-stain in addition to a stain...the finish more-or-less just lays on top of the surface. You will see that in a lot of lower end manufactured cabinets. Each local cabinetmaker is different...in regards to equipment, stain offerings and of course, experience.

I know of a few talented cabinetmakers that build a sturdy cabinet...but they aren't good designers nor do they pay attention to detail. To them, this might be the most beautiful thing they ever created and they're so proud that they were able to copy what you wanted. Don't be surprised if they are shocked you don't like it.

As to the wood...I find it very hard to believe it wasn't discussed. Or maybe they are too inexperienced to realize those pictures are WALNUT and just assumed you were ok with their standard birch interiors....since you didn't say otherwise.

• friedajune
    6 anni fa

What was the discussion on the cost of the cabinet? It could be that the cabinetmaker entirely realized that the photo was drawers of walnut, but the OP had said "I will pay a maximum of $X", which constrained the cabinetmaker from using walnut, and he was forced to do what he could with birch. But this should have been discussed.

• MaWizz
    6 anni fa

I'd be disappointed too as in your inspiration pic they look like a nice thick chunky wood drawers showing beautiful grain. Whereas yours look thin with no grain. I agree with several comments above maple and birch don't except stain well and give that blotchy look but also it looks like you want the beautiful grain in woods like cherry, walnut, oak. Whether your fault for not being clear or theirs it's not what you wanted. I would nicely say that's not what you expected and see what your options are :) I love your idea and inspiration pic btw.

• suzanne_sl
    6 anni fa

I think this can be remedied by replacing the drawer fronts with a nicer wood. How did the upper door caddies come out?

• 2ManyDiversions
    6 anni fa

I'm having some difficulty figuring out what was done here, and my monitor isn’t small. It’s possible the stain was lightly sprayed on a non-porous surface. At least that’s what it looks like to me. I’m seeing zero wood grain, and what appears to be a mottled surface, which is what would happen if a stain (or paint) were lightly sprayed on laminate, mdf, or something similar – like a first coat of paint would be initially sprayed, with the surface showing through a bit. Even birch, if stain were sprayed on, then properly wiped away, would show wood grain. Not as much as other woods, but it’d show.

• MaWizz
    6 anni fa

I agree Suzanne I think it's an easy fix if the drawer box is sturdy enough to accept the new front. I personally would be willing to throw a few extra bucks to get that rich wood look. Keep us posted Dianna.

I agree with you too 2manydiversions. I was thinking same when I first looked ... odd it looks so plain and thin!

• herbflavor
    6 anni fa

no-I'd leave them...probably maple...the pic is mahogany/walnut/etc...way different. They are behind doors...stencil in large format the words "bread biscuits baking" like in the pic....or whatever words typify your use. I thought they were meant to look distressed or the like-you could do that as well...or have the guys distress and glaze them....and give you a discount.

• palimpsest
    6 anni fa

You may be able to have a thin wood front in some species that accepts stains applied.

I would never embark on something like this without some finish samples, and they really should have discussed this with you.

That said "like this" is a vague set of directions. I once hired a contractor who came highly recommended by two people, one of whom said "He can take a sketch from a napkin and built a beautiful cabinet from the sketch".

He could. But if you wanted it to look like something very specific, Exactly like an actual shop drawing, he couldn't do it. I really don't think he actually knew how to interpret specific plans and shop drawing exactly. He was great if you had a vague idea of what you wanted.

So yours look "like" the inspiration picture. sorta. I don't know how much you paid, maybe a lot so I am not going to say something snarky like "you get what you paid for" under the assumption that you didn't pay a lot, I don't know, but for the cabinet maker I use (sparingly) an upgraded interior just like the one in the inspiration picture would probably be $4000-5000. Not including the outside of the cabinet. just the stained parts inside.

• aprilneverends
    6 anni fa

I agree with previous posters..they should have asked you, and you should have told them..

that's a communication thing, first and foremost

we had our similar experiences with countertops..the fabricator presumed we knew and we presumed he knew lol

with cabinets though the cabinet maker was a top notch pro..he knew how to ask what to show and how to communicate

The story of our bathroom vanity. The vanity was "free" from our GC since the bathroom was part of the addition, and as such he included several things in( other finishes were on us..we had this cost plus type of a contract)

The cabinet maker who built the kitchen that we payed for, also built the vanity, but the GC payed for it, since it was his "gift" to us so to say.

The cabinet maker arrived to our house(in case of kitchen cabs we went to his shop of course, and not once..but that was presumably a small job) with several samples and asked what wood I had in mind..I didn't like the samples, and didn't really know should I go with walnut or teak..I just knew that I should like probably walnut or teak ..I did have a teak shelf though, an extra from our bookshelves.. so I showed the said shelf and said:

-maybe teak? like this one?

He got so happy, said "wonderful!", took the shelf with him, and yes, soon we had a teak vanity, all book matched and beautiful and all.

Soo..him happy, us happy..the GC...very unhappy lol. he said " The guy killed me with the vanity". he obviously didn't think I'd choose something like teak..

Great advice above on how approach the issue and look at the ways to fix it, to your satisfaction. But if you're looking at walnut-will be pricey of course..

• Dianna
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

Full disclosure: I was definitely too laid back with this guy. Our kitchen cabinet maker did a fantastic job of checking EVERY single detail. It was actually exhausting. Some things, I'm like, dude, you just make the call. The one thing we didn't know to ask, we just assumed, was scribing the cabinets, which they didn't do, so I had visible shims along the front of all of my cabinets, forcing me to use shoe, which wasn't in the plan originally. We finally settled on a beautiful shoe that fit the kitchen well, but that was why I didn't use the same guy for built in closets/pantry. I guess that was a huge mistake. We are finishing our basement, excavating our yard, moving, and finishing our bathroom while the built ins were happening, so I stayed much less involved than I did with the kitchen. I didn't realize until the day before install that they never even asked what kind of door fronts we want.

Here's my perspective, though. It's his job to look at that picture and say "it may look similar, but our usual birch choice doesn't stain well, do you want to upgrade?" If this was my kitchen cabinets, I'd be livid. Since he's been doing this for thirty years I thought he'd have a good handle on finishes and such. In hindsight I'd have even been happy with pine stained to match my newly refinished floors. (Which may have to be redone since they damaged them, unfortunately. That's a whole other story.) I did make it clear I love high grains, even telling him how my floor guy sampled twelve different stains before we found the perfect combination that made the grain pop. This guy didn't need to go to all that trouble, but he really could have made sure it had some semblance of the style I made clear I love.

Oh, well, our idea, since the whole interior is this blotched stain, and I worry walnut would look out of place now, is to just paint it white and stencil cute french script on the fronts. That will leave a lot less of the splotchiness visible, and I'll still have some contrast.

Here is the real screwup that we have to deal with. Our main goal was to have built in closets. Our cape cod master had a 6 foot closet with a 3 foot door, so we set out to open that up with storage even going into the eaves. Our plan had a 6' closet with double doors, with drawers to the right side under the slanted roof. When the guys showed up, they had two separate 3' cabinets, then the cabinet for the drawers. The installers looked at our room and quickly informed us that there was no way those cabinets were getting in our door. 35"wx30"d could not clear our door. I told them it didn't matter because it is supposed to be one large cabinet anyways (with the drawers separate) when they told me their boss wanted them to tear them down and reassemble in the room. Luckily the drawings backed me up on this, so we are still stuck with a 70" hole in our wall. Thankfully, we had seen lovely doors at a local antique shop that really match the style of our room. My husband is just going to frame it out himself and use these doors as french doors with gate style hinges. Hopefully matching hardware will make it all work. The corner piece is also a sore subject, since the cabinet is not square, its cracked, and the inset door looks very off because of it.

Any ideas on this plan that we might not have thought of? We do realize the left door will hit the ceiling if opened past 90. Our other room is the same way, (and old door also opened that way) so we're not too worried about that.

• dan1888
    6 anni fa

You can scrap this guy or teach him to do a good job. Making someone produce a better quality product- does it ever really work out? I'd go back to the kitchen person who can and does normally produce or look for another quality craftsman.

• cyc2001
    6 anni fa

I agree with Dan1888.

Also agree completely with your comment: Here's my perspective, though. It's his job to look at that picture and say "it may look similar, but our usual birch choice doesn't stain well, do you want to upgrade?"

Good luck with everything. Sounds like you have a LOT going on it, and are doing a good job keeping things in perspective - hang in there. :)

• palimpsest
    6 anni fa

Maybe instead of painting it white you could paint it a bright or saturated accent color.

• PRO
    The Cook's Kitchen
    6 anni fa

Ad far as your original question goes, yes, birch stained dark often has that vaguely mottled look. It is "normal" for that to be a result. No, it is not your original vision, and he should have brought it to your attention. I'm with Palimpsest here, paint them turquoise. Or red. Your favorite color. Make it into an unexpected fun detail that makes you smile every time you open the doors.

• lisadlu16
    6 anni fa

Yes, Since you are open to the idea then I would paint them. I like white with French words stenciled but it might be a "wow" factor to paint them aqua, colbalt or yellow depending on the rest of the finishes in the room. Good thing with paint if you don't like it you can easily redo it.

also, I love the door you showed for your bedroom closet. I bet your house will be lovely and full of charm when you are finished.

• Dianna
    Autore originale
    6 anni fa

Love the color idea! Thank you! I may end up going with Tiffany blue. Just gotta find the paint color.

• clara_sophia
    6 anni fa

That would be very pretty!

Sponsorizzato

Ricarica la pagina per non vedere più questo specifico annuncio

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".