Houzz Logo Print
robin_sullivan3013837

'trendy' kitchen??

Hey all! I am looking for a change in my 1990's kitchen. I have regular, oak cabinets and galaxy black granite counter tops.

I have been looking at tons of ideas to update without spending a fortune. We just did all new appliances so I want to refinish the cabinets...and am on the fence about the countertops.

There is nothing wrong with the countertops! They are black. The oak of the cabinets, I hate. It is SO 1990's. I am afraid of going too trendy with the kitchen colors. I know that dark countertops and white cabinets is "in" right now... but I don't want to be stuck in a rut where it's no longer "in style" in a couple of years.

I do love the idea of gray on the wood but can't decide if I want a light gray or a dark gray...as I also want to "lean" towards a rustic industrial feel. I think I want to stain so the wood grain will show. Our home is a cabin/home hybrid. Lots of exposed knotty pine...plus areas of plain, boring, white drywall.

The living/dining areas have some red furniture accents.

Commenti (34)

• Steph
    7 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 7 anni fa

It's going to be fairly difficult to restain your cabinets lighter and in a different tone, unless you go cherry, since it's already been stained. You could sand them all the way down, but that's a lot of work. I would also suggest staying away from trendy colors for your cabinets. Wall paint is easily changed, and that's where you should go grey if anywhere. Dark counters and white cabinets are not really a thing. I think that's just what people end up with because they are dealing with a older kitchen like you.

Another option would be gel stain, but you would have to go darker and t hat would be a lot of darkness with your countertops. How about changing out hardware, painting the walls, and updating your lighting?

• PRO
    Robin Sullivan Creative
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa

Yes, we will be updating the lighting, walls and hardware.

I have seen the stain gel and have been looking into it further as I don't necessarily want lighter cabinets. I want something updated but not trendy.

• Steph
    7 anni fa

I would start with a walnut gel stain, because anything darker would be too dark with your counters. I have seen a lot of examples of people using GF Java, which is really too dark for your purposes. Check out their other colors. This is a very good brand. And you could always do a grey gel stain, then paint your cabinets later when you get tired of them.

https://generalfinishes.com/retail-products/oil-based-wood-stains-sealers/gf-oil-based-gel-stains#.WHJqUPkrJPY 

• PRO
    Andrea Mason
    7 anni fa

Hi Robin. While I love the idea of painting or staining your cabinets grey (I'm obsessed with grey) I think that grey is actually more trendy than going with white. Depending on where you purchase your cabinets and if you decide to paint or stain them yourself or have a contractor do it, it may be about the same to install all new cabinets. If you do end up getting all new cabinets, please consider bringing the upper cabinets all of the way to the ceiling. This will make the room look taller and get rid of that awkward space above there. I also think you should consider black handles and fixtures. It will look amazing in rustic environments. Overall I think white cabinets or a dark stain would look so great with the black countertops, check out some inspiration below. Good luck!

• PRO
    Robin Sullivan Creative
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa

Andrea, what would you suggest for filling up the top of the cabinets?

We have no plans on replacing the cabinets as they are in very good shape. I do plan on turning the doors so the shaker style shows rather than what is showing now. Also, of course, new hardware on cabinets and drawers.

• C F
    7 anni fa

I don't know if you can just turn cabinet doors around like that? I love Andrea's idea inspiration pic with the white cabinets and black countertops with black hardware!

• justbeckyg
    7 anni fa
    I think painting them grey with new industrial style black hardware would look great. I would also suggest changing out the current crown molding and adding a taller style crown would look better. Removing the 4 inch backsplash and doing a full backsplash would be a good idea as well.
    Robin Sullivan Creative ha ringraziato justbeckyg
  • stingrae1625
    7 anni fa
    What about doing a gray "pickled" sort of treatment like I've seen done on a lot of hardwood floors?
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 anni fa
    I would not recommend doing gray. It is fading from favor as people tire of it. White would be a much better choice. If you have enough room above, on one side (longest side) I would stack glass door cabinets and light them. This would modernize more than anything. Really think hard on the gray.
  • apple_pie_order
    7 anni fa

How long have you lived with the 1990's oak? Do you have undercabinet lighting?

• Lindsay K
    7 anni fa

I would paint the cabinets white...or leave them as they are and update other things. I know paying to have someone paint them would be nice, but if you can't afford that, just check out the Young House Love blog. They painted their oak cabinets, and I have used their method to paint oak furniture with great results. I haven't gone from oak to white on cabinets specifically, but have re-painted already painted kitchen cabinets in two of my houses. It is a pita, but definitely a doable project if you're up for it. Don't do grey cabinets. If you really want grey somewhere, paint walls grey as those are much easier to re-paint than cabinets! Grey cabinets will be out of style soon, I think.

• athomeeileen
    7 anni fa

I like your cabinets for a cabin style home. They don't at all look like cheap builder oak cabinets. Maybe replace the counters instead. If you're set on painting the cabinets consider I'd lean to a very creamy white or even taupe. I like taupe with knotty pine.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    7 anni fa

I like Ellsworth idea of building up the boxes and adding crown. Here is a kitchen who did just that:

Staining those cabs (correctly) a darker shade is not a job for someone who has never done it. You can't just wipe on a darker stain and expect to look good. They have to be stripped. It's quite the process and 5 times more work than painting.

If you have to have gray, then consider a two tone. but Flo is right when she says it's fading fast.

At least this one takes it up a notch by putting in glass panels, a classy backsplash and beautiful hardware.

• User
    7 anni fa

Robin, you have a nice kitchen- no doubt. But frankly, if you're looking to update/ follow current trends, then your cabinets (style- no matter the paint/stain) are also a big concern.

Anything you do with your cabinets will only highlight how dated (as you admit) the "must-have" of the 90s Black Galaxy counters. I wouldn't do anything until/unless I was ready to do everything, with a good, comprehensive plan. Otherwise? You might just be dreaming remodel in this space over and over again, until trends in your decor catch up to where you you'd like to see them.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    7 anni fa

Ellsworth had it right. Paint them white. And there is nothing wrong with the black galaxy tops and white cabinetry. Lose the clutter, improve the lighting!!

• acm
    7 anni fa

Another vote for white -- white with black counters has been around for a couple of hundred years, so it's unlikely to suddenly become dated, even if your black isn't soapstone...

• Bailey R
    7 anni fa

White definitely. The Gray Train is pulling out of the station now ..... it peaked awhile ago.

• Jennifer Havin
    7 anni fa

paint them white, update lighting and hardware, then if you decide you don't like countertops you can change them

• Kathi Steele
    7 anni fa

Another vote for white, especially with the black counter tops. White subway backsplash. White grout.

Before you redo your cabinets, you need to fix all the other things.

You need to lose the wood box above the sink.

Get rid of the track lighting.

Is that fluorescent lighting on the ceiling also?

Get rid of the clutter on the countertops and the front of the cabinets.

If you paint the cabinets, you need to get rid of the 4" backsplash. You need to get hinges that are hidden. You need new hardware.

Consider moving the plugs up to under cabinet electric plugs and lighting. Consider adding under cabinet lighting.

Look at the tons of updates you have researched for things that you like in a kitchen design. They will cost what they cost. IF you cannot afford it, then wait until you can.

Do not piece meal this together. Appliances here, cabinets there. You will spend way more than you should and it will look pieced together.

COME UP WITH A COMPREHENSIVE PLAN, then act.

• PRO
    Robin Sullivan Creative
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa

apple_pie_order We just bought the house in October...so i have not been living with then for very long. They were at the top of my list for "updating".

• PRO
    Robin Sullivan Creative
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa

athomeeileen that's the thing though... I hate the honey oak color! The counters aren't bad at all... I just didn't want to go through the expense of new counter tops. I want concrete and that is going to have to wait a little while longer.

• PRO
    Robin Sullivan Creative
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa

White isn't really in line with the "rustic industrial" look, is it?

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    7 anni fa

I am also in the white camp IMO gray ,unless it is a gray green, and knotty pine do not work well together and I think dark cabinets in this space will not work at all.

• PRO
    Andrea Mason
    7 anni fa

Yup, do what Ellsworth suggested. Brilliant idea on how to extend them to the top without it being too costly!

• Judy Mishkin
    7 anni fa

it sounds like it would be quite a bit of plain flat wood up there before the crown... and no increase in storage space for the money spent. color me doubtful.

• PRO
    Ellsworth Design Build
    7 anni fa

This was a small condo kitchen we upgraded for sale. Your raised panel cabinets are nicer than these, I wouldn't spend the effort redoing the hinges unless they really bother you.

• PRO
    Robin Sullivan Creative
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa
    I am considering turning the cabinet doors around for a different look.
  • auntthelma
    7 anni fa

Andrea's picture gave me an idea. If you like rustic and cabin, what if you remove the upper cabinets and replace them with open shelves and maybe a plate rack? Probably easier than painting.

• hatetoshop
    7 anni fa

I think you can get an industrial/rustic vibe with white cabinets.

Lake George Retreat · Maggiori informazioni

• Steph
    7 anni fa
    I would just paint the uppers white.
  • PRO
    Lorella Dia
    7 anni fa

I would choose the light grey version as it is more elegant and versatile. it is also more suitable for small spaces.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    7 anni fa

True, with great flooring for contrast, great backsplash and great lighting, light grey is fine. Without those things, it can look dingy. White is more classic.

• athomeeileen
    7 anni fa

So if you really hate the honey oak and like the counters then get those cabinets painted! You should love your kitchen. Just want to reiterate that bright white will likely stick out like a sore thumb. Warmer colors will look better with the style of home you have and with the knotty pine. I live in a log home and white just sticks out like a sore thumb, creamy neutrals look great though!

Sponsorizzato

Ricarica la pagina per non vedere più questo specifico annuncio

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".