Houzz Logo Print
tweesapeeters

Rustic Kitchen - Backspash... stone or tile

Lost Mule Lodge
7 anni fa
Ultima modifica:7 anni fa

we are in the finishing stages of our new rustic home and I think I want a stone backsplash.... the stone would match the fireplace on the opposite wall of the kitchen. what do you think?

Commenti (18)

• visualizemaven
    7 anni fa

Can you send a shot of the kitchen which is lighter - not so dark?

From a practical standpoint, using the same rough stone in the kitchen will not be easy to clean, especially any grease splatters.

When I can see the counter better I will make a suggestion.

Lost Mule Lodge ha ringraziato visualizemaven
  • PRO
    Point Design LLC
    7 anni fa

My suggestion would be to use a travertine tile for the backsplash. Don't try to get too "matchy matchy" with finding stone of different sizes, or colors, like the fireplace wall. Use a neutral colored stone travertine, like Durango, and keep a consistent pattern. Brick lay is probably more suited for your style.

Enjoy your new spaces!

Lost Mule Lodge ha ringraziato Point Design LLC
  • PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    7 anni fa

If you do match the fireplace, I would match in color only. Do a smaller linear pattern.

I think your gorgeous window needs to be the focal point. I think a matching stone tile might be too much...too busy. Can you post a better photo of the kitchen that shows more in relationship to the fireplace and so we can see your cabinets? I would consider a tile of some kind to complement rather than match.

Look at this rustic house with lots of different textures.

Lost Mule Lodge ha ringraziato The Kitchen Place
  • Lost Mule Lodge
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa

because our range is in the island I am not overly worried about greasy splatters on the backsplash. I have just posted a few more pictures to give you a better idea. Honestly, I should have cleared the countertops, but I posted this on a whim!

• mkritt
    7 anni fa
    Beautiful fireplace and kitchen! I like the photos that My Kitchen Place posted :)
    Lost Mule Lodge ha ringraziato mkritt
  • Lost Mule Lodge
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 7 anni fa

My apologies to everyone, I am still trying to figure this out. This is my first attempt at posting photos on Houzz.. Thank you for your patience.

• Lost Mule Lodge
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa

I love all the suggestions. And the compliments!! Now that I have cleared the countertops and taken better photos - I hope to get more suggestions. I will post photos of the finished product.

• felizlady
    7 anni fa
    With such a beautiful window as the centerpiece of your gorgeous kitchen, I would use a simple tile in a color to blend with your counters....a matte finish or something no shinier than the counter. I am going to bet there is a wonderful view from that window.
    Lost Mule Lodge ha ringraziato felizlady
  • PRO
    Hunting For George
    7 anni fa

Fantastic!

Lost Mule Lodge ha ringraziato Hunting For George
  • emmarene9
    7 anni fa

Sorry, no stone backsplash with that granite. In fact, the sink comes up so high, you do not need a backsplash at all. I would skip it entirely. Beautiful kitchen.

Lost Mule Lodge ha ringraziato emmarene9
  • PRO
    JAN MOYER
    7 anni fa

I'd try a tiny ledge stone subway like below. SAMPLE first. You use no grout with this, and since your cook is on the island, you will have no staining issues.

http://crossvilleinc.com/products/modern-mythology/griffin/

Next best? Repeat the granite. Most anything else will be too busy

Lost Mule Lodge ha ringraziato JAN MOYER
  • visualizemaven
    7 anni fa

since you are going for rustic - back splash is not necessary or desirable! Please consider switching out the green wall color -

Lost Mule Lodge ha ringraziato visualizemaven
  • Rusty Empire
    7 anni fa

You have masses of movement in the stone counters, and so much stuff going on texture wise everywhere else that it's time to stop. Either no backsplash or a solid color tile with color matched grout (still flummoxed by the "pro" recommending travertine!!? Yikes!). Good luck.

Lost Mule Lodge ha ringraziato Rusty Empire
  • Lost Mule Lodge
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa

The walls do appear green in my photos, must be the lighting. They are actually a golden color called "Blonde" by SW. Thank you for the suggestion on the backsplash.

• rredpenn
    7 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 7 anni fa

What a cool kitchen! I am so curious to see better the items in the windows over the sink... :) And, I love the frosted glass cupboard door. :) You have fun stuff going on!

As far as a backsplash...I'm not much help. I agree that the granite and fantastic window/trim are focal point enough and the small amount of wall there doesn't really need it. Just keep your scrubbable paint, which you can refresh easily when needed.

• User
    7 anni fa
    I'm on the "no backsplash" team. Your kitchen is pretty the way it is and there's little practical reason for a backsplash. Please don't use travertine (so overdone...) or extend the granite - a look that is so popular here but is so boring and lazy and can overwhelm. And no to the stone, as well. It looks great on your fireplace, but let it star there.
  • PRO
    OasisDesign&Remodeling
    7 anni fa
    The Modern Mythology by Crossville is perfect. With a backsplash, you'll lose a luster that you need.
Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".