Houzz Logo Print
nayeli_soto

Wood Tile Floors Ardennes Cafe

Nayeli S
7 anni fa
We are looking into doing the entire first floor of our home including our kitchen with Ardennes Cafe from Home Depot , has anyone else used this tile? Do you have any pics of your finish project ? I also need help with grout color and which way or pattern we should we Installed the tile.. Tile has light brown and gray tones TIA

Commenti (37)

• Brandi Nash Hicks
    7 anni fa
    I vote lights gray grout laying the tile on the diagonal to make your space look larger and more custom
  • Nayeli S
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa
    Thank you Brandi I think light gray sound good for grout ... Is this the pattern you are suggesting
  • PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    7 anni fa

Installation on the diagonal is a personal choice. I'm not fond of it. Those of us who are visual, find that we start to drift towards the walls when the flooring is laid diagonal.

None the less, the tile manufacturer recommends 10% extra for a regular install. If you run the diagonal, you will need 15% - 20% waste. It really increases the amount of tile that you need.

• Nayeli S
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa
    @Cancork Floor Inc. thank you for the advice really appreciate it I have attached a copy of my first floor plan what layout do you think I should go with ? TIA
  • jonathan3
    7 anni fa

I agree with Cancork floor, I am not fond of this trendy look. The diagonal placement of tile is a tricky decorating idea unless it is done right. If you are positive that you like the look of it, go ahead with the idea, but tiling a whole house is such a large project and once it is delivered and placed, very expensive to change. A more traditional layout running the length of a room would be much more likely to appeal to you in the long run and less likely to be a issue during resale.

• PRO
    Cancork Floor Inc.
    7 anni fa

Your layout is stupendously easy. Run the long length of the tile the long length of the living/dining room and continue into kitchen, bath, laundry/garage entrance. Remember to stop at the walls.

Remove/dispose of the kitchen tiles = $1/sf. Removing/disposing of carpet = $1/sf. Be aware that carpets hide HORRIBLE subfloor issues. You could be looking at $1-$4/sf for subfloor prep where the carpet is sitting. The average cost to prepare concrete under carpet is $1.50 - $2.50/sf. This is for a concrete slab that is in relatively good shape but needs a bit of work with bringing it to level.

Your tile choice isn't the expensive part of this. The rest of the project is what makes it so expensive. Laying tile can be as much as $4-$10/sf depending on your local labour market. If you add it up, the removal of old flooring = $1/sf + $2/sf prep + $5 install labor = $8-$10/sf for the labor/prep side of things. Materials like tile, mortar/thinset and grout are extra. I would be prepared for a $15/sf total cost for this. If it is less, then you are laughing. If you go for a diagonal install, you will be much closer to $20/sf for the total price.

Good luck.

• Nayeli S
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa
    @Cancork Floor Inc. Wow really never taught it could get this expensive we are going to try to do as much as we can on our own like removing carpet and tile and going to I talk tile as you recommended run in the long length of dining and living ... Thank you for all of your help
  • johnnybads33d
    7 anni fa
    Hi, did you end up installing this tile? Any photos?
  • Ansley Vinson
    7 anni fa

I'm thinking about this tile as well. Do you have any pics of the finished product? Can't find many online. Thanks!

• Nayeli S
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa
    Not the best picture floor is actually more gray tone and I follow Cancork Floors Inc advise on how to install the floor I'm in love with my floors and have gotten lots of compliments on it
  • tmfti
    7 anni fa

We are planning to install this at our house too. Love the pictures. Are you happy with the light gray grout? Any thoughts or feedback before we install? Also what did you do for your stairs? We wanted to tile them as well.

• Jan Fronk
    7 anni fa

I bought the tile from Home Depot and the grout as well. The perfect match in grout was walnut. It was a special order color but worth it. Any suggestions for wall paint color? I used a gray in a bedroom that I liked but wanted to do the main area emphasizing the brown tones in the tile. Looking for a light grayish beige that doesn't wind up looking too orangy, pink or plain gray.

• Jan Fronk
    7 anni fa

By the way, I just ran the tile with the length of the great room. It looks terrific.

• Nayeli S
    Autore originale
    7 anni fa
    For grout color we went with the gray color and I really like the way it blends in as far as paint we had previously painted them a gray color with blue undertone and we have a statement dark gray wall I think that's how you call it . I do like it for stairs we have not done ours we still have extra tile but still have not decided yet ... if anyone has done their stairs please share pics !!
  • tmlogue
    7 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 7 anni fa

We are getting this tile put into our home next week! So excited! We choose the Deloren Grey grout.

• tmlogue
    7 anni fa

Anyone have issues with the tile bowing. Our contractor just said the tile is bowed and we need to order a different lot number?

• Jon Semrau
    6 anni fa

Nayeli- I love your pics! We are going with exact same floors. I'm so glad to see the pics--in the store, they look a pinch bland. But in your pics, they look amazing. Once again the wife was right. ;). They cost $2.80/sq ft at Home Depot. Is that my best price or did anyone find a place that offers cheaper? @Jan Fronk and @tmlogue-- Do either of you have pics you care to share? I'd love to see a few different grouts...we're leaning towards the Delorean Gray for grout, but we're not 100% sure.

• Janell Schudel
    6 anni fa

I laid these floors in my house, and they are gorgeous. We used a charcoal grout which hides the dirt and pops some of the darker color in the tile. We get so many compliments on our floor.

• ashleya_07
    6 anni fa

What is the name of the grout color seen in the photos? Has anyone used natural gray (home depot) grout with the Ardennes café tile?

• Lisa Felker
    6 anni fa

We are looking to use this in our bathroom for the floor and the wall behind the toilet (this area will be set back in from the rest of the room). We are having a difficult time choosing a shower/tub surround tile that would look nice with this flooring. Any pictures would be appreciated if you have used this in your bathroom!

• Carla Martinez
    6 anni fa

@ Ashleya_07 I am in the process of getting these floors done and i'm planning to use grout Natural Gray.

• klbcarr
    6 anni fa

Janell or tmlogue, would love to see photos of your finished floors!

• Carla Martinez
    6 anni fa

@ klbcarr here are some pictures of the flooring

• Nancy
    6 anni fa

Carla- entering in here as I'm considering these too. Your floor is spectacular. One question though. They look a lot lighter than Nayeli's. What do you think?

Nancy

• Janell Schudel
    6 anni fa
    Here are some of my floors.
  • Janell Schudel
    6 anni fa
    Here are some of my floors.
  • Nancy
    6 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 6 anni fa

Janell- just stunning.

Some questions if anyone has a moment....

1) Any problems with warpage or anything else?

2) If you went with 10% overage did that work out? (Doing regular install, not diagonal.)

3) Love to use 1/16 spacing but did you use 1/8 as recommended?

4) If you had them installed what were installation fees- the area I live is going to be $5-8/sq ft. To save some $, I'm considering flying in tile setter or a team, and letting him/them stay at my home or pay for motel. Not as many people use tile where I live as say, California, and think cost and better experience this might work out.

5) I have about 1000 sq ft to install and big rooms, one 32'x18'. Any incidental tips?

6) Ardennes Cafe- is it mostly a light gray tile with a little brown?

Thanks.....Nancy

• Janell Schudel
    6 anni fa
    1. No issues with wattage, thats the beauty of tile.
    2. use 1/8th as recommended since it gets grouted with sanded grout and 1/16th doesn't take sanded as well.
    3. I installed my floors myself, so I'm not sure about installation costs.
    4. Make sure your installer has installed 6x36 planks before since they are not flat. They have a slight curve and need to be forced down on both ends to avoid lippage to the next plank.
  • Nancy
    6 anni fa

Janell,

You are amazing- your tile looks like perfection. I wish I could fly YOU in ;-)

Thanks so much for the tips. Some people in the Home Depot reviews were complaining about warpage and sounds like their view of warpage is that the tiles don't lay flat as you say they don't. Gosh I really appreciate your input. Thank you.

• Nancy
    6 anni fa

Janell- what I meant was "bowing" of the tile I guess. As Tmlogue referred to above. And that the contractor wanted more tile for the job. Any chance that this is what you meant by it not being flat? Gosh I wish I could find someone with your experience and knowledge.

• Janell Schudel
    6 anni fa
    Yes, tile this size has a slight curve from middle out to the ends. when the tile is layed in the mortar, the contractor needs to push both ends down then lay the next tile, check the edges. then force down any areas that are not level with the adgacent tile.
  • PRO
    Dragonfly Tile & Stone Works, Inc.
    6 anni fa

Might visit this thread from awhile ago regarding warpage and lay-out of wood look porcelain: https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/5211493/wood-look-porcelain-tile-or-luxury-vinyl-plank-flooring.  Agree to find a qualified installer.

• thespargos
    6 anni fa

Janell - What color grout did you use?

• Carla Martinez
    6 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 6 anni fa

Petuniafish-Thank you!!! I think it has to do with lighting, I noticed the color changes and looks lighter when I open my blinds. In the 3rd picture the tile looks darker and that's due to my blinds being closed. Also there is a variation in color with the tile so make sure its sorted so some areas don't look darker than others.

• Carla Martinez
    6 anni fa

Petuniafish- I used 1/8 grout also used 1/3/33% offset layout to avoid lippage. we avoided 50% offset layout which will cause more risk for lippage due to the tile length. Hope this helps! The tile does have some gray and browns. I also think the color of the walls will make the tile look lighter or darker in color.

• Nancy
    5 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 5 anni fa

Well, moved along a bit in the process. Decided on Ardennes Notte rather than Ardennes Cafe. Husband preferred the darker tile so that's what we're getting. He was a hard sell because of cost involved so I'll let him have what he wants, even though I prefer Ardennes Cafe. Doing 1000 sq feet of living and dining room, kitchen, big entry and bath. Amazed by many of you who've done it by yourselves.

Still in the process of getting bids and those with the best rep are backed up for 3-4 months so I'll wait. Really grateful for all the tips, and will return and post pics whenever this is completed. Getting rid of all furniture for a more modern look, and may have tile installer redo fireplace- maybe even try myself. Always seems that as soon as one change is done everything else looks shabby. Here's my project.

Brazilian cherry floor with new Ardennes Notte tile. So sick of looking at torn up, water stained wood floor. Just doesn't work with two 100# dogs.

Nancy

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".