Houzz Logo Print
edubya

POLL: What is the best bed orientation?

Emily H
7 anni fa

A New Start · Maggiori informazioni

What is your favorite way to position your bed in your room? Do you like to be next to a window for fresh air all night long? Maybe you prefer to have your eyes on the door at all times.

VOTE and tell us about it in the comments!

Commenti (110)

• PRO
    Cabinets & Designs
    7 anni fa

Under the window is tough because sunlight will wake you up unless you have powerful shades.

• Deborah Taylor
    7 anni fa
    I've always preferred from the corner if the room allows. In fact, my tall boy dresser is also on a corner. The floor space flows better and it is a visual treat over placement square to a wall.
  • Anne Van Dijk
    7 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 7 anni fa

used to have headboard under window which looked nice, but I like to look out the window when I wake up, so window is at my side now. I can see the weather , and the owl and hawks nests in the poplars, and little birds hopping around in the birch tree.

What would be the point of watching the door? Pretty boring.

• rollinggirl
    7 anni fa

There are days I have to spend a lot of time in bed. Even though it's the only way my bed fits in the room it has worked out well. It sits with the window to my right side. I can watch the large oak tree and children playing in the street. I also gives me a good cross breeze. My room is 9' 6'' by 11' . I share it with my service dog a 70 lb Boxer and a 7 lb Pomeranian . My previous bedroom was 17' by 15 ', same room mates. I've found with some creative design and planning I like this room far more. I still have no idea on the compass which way I am facing however. I think it's west, maybe. Probably. Could be completely wrong. It's a really nice sleep number bed though, I sleep better here than I have in years so that counts. :)

• vgunter
    7 anni fa

Only place it will fit - between the windows. lol

vgunter's ideas · Maggiori informazioni

• PRO
    Lori Dennis, Inc.
    7 anni fa

Hopefully there's a perfect wall directly across from the door, so the bed is the focal point as you enter the room.

• januarisun
    7 anni fa

It depends on the room, the house, the space, the view. If we put our bed in the "control" position, we wouldn't be able to see the yard/pool from the bed.

• PRO
    paul rung studio
    7 anni fa

I follow Feng Shui principals, everyone has an ideal direction....

• PRO
    TAB ASSOCIATES INC
    7 anni fa

Traditionally, you should walk into the room at the foot of the bed. Opposite the bed should be a fireplace with the switch beside the bed for easy control. 3-way switches next to each side of the bed for the bed lamps to the entry door as well. Beside the bed on both sides, if possible, provide windows for view and ventilation. Also small windows above the nightstands on the bed head wall are nice for an evening breeze.

• mirador
    7 anni fa

TAB ASSOCIATES INC, you made me smile! That's a pretty specific description of a bedroom for "traditionally"!

• Margaret Dandola
    7 anni fa

Oriented north/south to align with the earth's natural magnetic alignment. Allows you to realign as well as you rest.

• chepados
    7 anni fa

The are only three walls that are usable for the bed. I ruled out wall number 1, don't want it in front of a window. Ruled out wall number 2 dontnwantnto see bed from hallway. So wall number three won. It faces the window but we use room darkening shades. I'd love other options but this is ok. I only sleep there.

• PRO
    Affordable Chic
    7 anni fa

I like to see a beautiful dressed bed when I walk into a bedroom. Also windows on side gives you easy access to open them for fresh air when need be!

• Diane Smith
    7 anni fa

Margaret Dandola my thoughts precisely north south orientation head at north for same reason.... Well said.

• Diane Smith
    7 anni fa

Headboards at windows is not your ideal position in the north as we require heating in the winter and cooling in the summer, rad or vents at floors are always placed under windows to warm or cool a room.

So a bed at the window would interfere with the flow of warm or cool air being blown in the room, hence the air flow would roll under the bed and not achieve it's goal--to cool or warm the room.

• PRO
    4f Lighting
    7 anni fa

Since my floor slopes, I opted for the orientation that would put my head at the high end.

• suellenh
    7 anni fa
    I have found I don't like to be visible from the hallway...and I really have no explanation for this, just a great feeling of unease. I also want a window close to me as I love to sleep with it open.
  • Sylvia Carlson
    7 anni fa

The position tends to be dictated by the shape and orientation of the room. I would love to be able to put my bed under the window, but that would block the heat. Facing the window, it would block the closet. So there's only one choice; the "control" position. It is, unfortunately, my "total loss" position according to feng shui, which might explain the luck I've had since moving to this apartment! LOL

• PRO
    BLD Contractors
    7 anni fa
    I like the first one. if I had a choice my head would be north and feet south
  • PRO
    Studio NOO Design
    7 anni fa

Close to the window so we can get some fresh air...

Master bedroom/painting by Corno · Maggiori informazioni

Apple green bedroom · Maggiori informazioni

• nramsey1
    7 anni fa

Across from the door, but that doesn't work in my room since it is too narrow.

• mirador
    7 anni fa

Diane Smith, we live in the north as well (Michigan), and while our air vents are all on outside walls, we're fortunate that none are directly below the windows in any of our bedrooms. I think it just depends on each home's floor plans and how the HVAC was run through the walls. Also, three of our four bedrooms are corner rooms with windows on two adjacent walls, so there's more than one option for locating the bed under a window. I realize that's not always the situation, especially in subdivisions - where homes are built without windows on at least one side so that there is not a direct view into the house next door.

• gramma907
    7 anni fa

Me, I have northern blood all the way- I love being right under a window so the cool air is right on me. I routinely regulate the temp at night by lowering or opening that window! I currently do NOT have headboard.. I want one, but it must be low enough so I can of course, get at that window! I realize also that I could never ever live in a room that did not have cross-ventilation! Would be awful.

• hettlin
    7 anni fa
    We only have one space it can fit. Fortunately, it's our preferred spot.
  • margaret17
    7 anni fa

For me its not about what you see when you walk into the bedroom, but what I see when I'm in the bed. I like "control position" probably for the "evolutionary" reasons sited by an earlier poster. It gives me a sense of security to have my head against a nice, solid wall and facing the door and window so I can see who's coming or going.

However in new house we are designing there are only two choices for placement: under the windows and facing the door and a long boring wall, or backed up against that same wall and facing wall-to-wall, floor-to-ceiling windows opening to expansive vistas of distant city lights. Ok, I think you can guess which one we are planning to chose. However, I am nervous about how well I will handle giving up "control".

• sltlgt
    7 anni fa
    first choice for me is #1. I like to see windows &door. Control position.
    Room layouts do not always allow for this arrangement, 2nd choice if it works is in front of window.
  • PRO
    Minnkota Windows
    7 anni fa

The shape of the room plays an important role. I would love to have lots of sunlight with some privacy.

• sjdavies17
    7 anni fa
    as close to the window as possible to awaken to the beauty of the elk grazing in the vale
  • zuzu72
    7 anni fa

I would love to have my bed facing east but, alas, that would make me unable to see who might be coming into the room without turning my head. So, being blessed with a tiny room, the fates have decided the position of my bed...oh well...

• cfreer
    7 anni fa
    Any position other than facing the door when it opens. I want more privacy than that. So if I'm taking a nap and hubby opens the door and walks in, I'm not on display for any guests who are in the hall or room outside the door.
  • Allison .
    7 anni fa
    Plain old feet-to-the-door control position, though I'd try the cave idea if I could.
  • dvd94
    7 anni fa

After creepy things started appearing on a headboard that I bought used (little kids hands and feet! the seller told me her father had re-finished it; now I'm wondering why??) - I tossed it to the curb, but was then faced with a 'sit on the floor' bed. Being cheap (ok - scared), I decided this was ok and decided to use my window as a 'headboard'! I find it perfect when the summer breeze provides cross-ventilation (no a/c in this ol' 1920's house). I've lived in this house for almost 30 years and never thought of locating it there before --it actually makes this small bedroom feel more spacious!

• Mary Campfield
    7 anni fa
    I like to re-arrange my rooms according to the seasons.
    Night/morning air across the bed during most of the year.
    Cozy cave in the winter.
  • Victoria Brown
    7 anni fa

Facing Windows to look outside....

• luvourhome
    7 anni fa

It depends on the size of the bed and the room and the view. I am not superstitious or into the zodiac or any of that crap, so that doesn't affect where the bed goes.

I had always had a nice view in every highrise I had lived in and chose accomodations based on the view as one large factor. In one location I faced west and baked. Another location I faced south and baked. And several other locales/directions.

Currently we have a lovely view and face east. Morning sun in a bedroom is awesome. We also have a modern angled bedroom and only one wall fits our king bed. Even if the other walls worked, I'd still want the bed where it is.

I can't stand being right under a window. I like being beside one and being able to see the door and windows. I don't like feeling boxed-in, so bookcases around the bed would not work. I also like to be able to walk all the way around a bed. I have had to park beds up against a wall in tiny rooms and don't like it.

I'm a space hog. I have lived in tiny spaces very well multiple times (140 sq. ft. was the smallest), and am great at multi-function and space-saving options/storage, etc., but feel better in larger, open spaces that have some stuff, but not a lot. I don't like feeling confined. I was trapped in a burning car so I need to feel free and have high ceilings. There has to be oodles of bright, natural light wherever the bed/house is. Oh, and control position, lol.

• Mary Dillon
    7 anni fa

(1) Don't like bed visible from hallway or adjacent room. (2) Given that, I have only one good place to put my own bed -- so have to agree, proportions of room and available/necessary furniture mostly determine placement. (3) Glad it faces a window, because without the natural light, I might never wake up at all! (4) By chance, the headboard is actually to the north with feet to the south -- is this why I have such a hard time getting up in the morning???

• lake1114
    7 anni fa

I voted other because I think the bed should be the focal point of a bedroom as you walk in the door. So whatever wall that is then that is where I would put it. But ultimately, wherever it makes you sleep well works the best.

• luvourhome
    7 anni fa

I have a new answer!! I want to move our bed next to our new waterfall, lol.

Oh my gosh, a life-time dream is coming true...I cried when the water was turned on. :-) It's almost finished...

• mirador
    7 anni fa

Watch out, luvourhome, that sound of running water might have an unintended effect. I had a fountain in my office years ago and some people said it prompted them to visit the restroom when they left the office! ;-) But seriously, enjoy!

• luvourhome
    7 anni fa

@mirador--lol. Free diuretics all around! Funny. I never thought of that. Ty :-) It's super exciting.

• Brig Oulette
    7 anni fa
    Where is fits
  • _ Perez
    7 anni fa

Feng Shui dictates the bed should be aligned north to south with headboard in the north. At this moment my bed is facing north. But in general, I prefer headboard to the wall; bed not interfering with movement around the room and me being able to see out of the window.

For single beds, I prefer one side (or headboard and side) is next to the wall. They take up less space this way.

• kfm0356
    7 anni fa

How ever the room presents itself for my head to be either east or west. I had it north/south between closet/wall niche, but felt too closed in. my bed is presently east/west centered in front of windows where i can see all other windows and doors (control).

• PRO
    Vit Vit Commercial Interior Architecture
    7 anni fa

Feng Shui is taken into consideration. When one walks into the room, you should see the entire bed directly, not hidden by the door. Never place the bed beneath a window or a mirror. Never position a bed directly in line with the doorway into the room.

• Emily Miggins
    7 anni fa
    I have always enjoyed "control" which allows views of nature and entry. It's 100% verboten to put furniture in front of Windows. Tacky! Our headboard is on Eastern wall views are south/west.
  • shelly11
    7 anni fa

For those of you not being to place your bed in your favorite position because of an air vent there is an solution. Lowes and Home Depot have a vent cover that is clear and had magnets on it to hold it on the metal vents. It allows the air/heat to pass over the bed without obstructing the air flow. Works great, very reasonably priced and barely noticeable.

• PRO
    A. Klein Interior Design LLC
    7 anni fa

The bed is often the most beautiful part of the room, so if it's possible, it's nice to see the bed as you walk into the room. But as with most design decisions, it really depends on the space and what you want to accomplish with the function and the design.

• geokty
    7 anni fa
    Response to Alycianichols...I have a similar husband, and thank goodness for my gal-pals! When I need to move something large and know the hubby will be less than helpful, I call up a girlfriend and rearrange things when he's at work!! He's fine after the fact, but when trying to tell him my "vision" for changing things, he just can't see it, so it's easier to "just do it"!
  • Princess Leia
    7 anni fa
    My husband likes the control position. I like facing the window. You also pay for your view....so why not enjoy it? I also am a morning person, so I love being woken up by sunshine.
  • southernpointofview
    7 anni fa

Control position.

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".