Houzz Logo Print
clsleger

Grassless side yard

C. L. Sleger
8 anni fa

When I bought the house in 2003 the west side yard was a dry weedy strip with hard clay soil. The old path of limestone slabs provided the inspiration for a grassless side yard.

I dug everything up, amended the soil, and put in thyme, lavender, dianthus, creeping phlox and sedums. At first they looked like hair plugs:

Now, in late May and early June:

The garden is considerably taller in autumn. This is Zone 5 so you see lots of asters, goldenrod, grasses, and Autumn Joy sedum.

Commenti (13)

• hoverfly - London
    8 anni fa

What a wonderful little garden. It's great to see how it has filled in - very inspirational!

C. L. Sleger ha ringraziato hoverfly - London
  • lgteacher
    8 anni fa

How beautiful! Your love of plants is evident.

C. L. Sleger ha ringraziato lgteacher
  • User
    8 anni fa

Wow! To someone like me whose garden is in the "hair plug" stage (great description of the look BTW) your garden is a huge inspiration.

C. L. Sleger ha ringraziato User
  • PRO
    Linda Greenberg Landscape & Design, LLC
    8 anni fa

As a professional landscape designer, I'm constantly working with small courtyards or pathway possibilities that will eliminate or lessen the footprint of caring for turf throughout the year. Your perennial garden is beautiful when in bloom, but I would also suggest adding formed plant materials like a Dwarf Boxwood that would carry your eye throughout the pathway. The Boxwoods will anchor the various 'chaotic' perennial spaces with evergreen form.

Linda Greenberg, Landscape Designer

704-995-7173

linda@lglandscapes.net

C. L. Sleger ha ringraziato Linda Greenberg Landscape & Design, LLC
  • posierosie_zone7a
    8 anni fa

So beautiful and so much variety and change throughout the seasons. Thank you for sharing.

C. L. Sleger ha ringraziato posierosie_zone7a
  • rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    8 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 8 anni fa

C.L., how perfectly charming.

Dwarf boxwood, Linda Greenberg? Really? Boring.

C. L. Sleger ha ringraziato rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
  • dg
    8 anni fa

Your floral path draws me in! Very nice :)

C. L. Sleger ha ringraziato dg
  • dirtygardener73
    8 anni fa

GORGEOUS! I had the same problem with a grassless side yard that was mostly marl soil -- impossible to dig or plant in for the most part. I started by planting a tiny red-leaf plum, then one by one, I started digging little holes and filling them with compost, planting and planting. I covered it with leaves every year and let them decompose. It took a long, long time (almost 10 years), but finally, I ended up with beautiful, black loamy soil that would grow anything and everything. I miss that house, but not the work of that big yard.

C. L. Sleger ha ringraziato dirtygardener73
  • Kaillean (zone 8, Vancouver)
    7 anni fa

I love it! It's beautiful!

C. L. Sleger ha ringraziato Kaillean (zone 8, Vancouver)
  • PRO
    Van Zelst Inc
    7 anni fa

Beautiful work. I love the variety of heights and textures. You may want to sink some of those steppers into the earth so you don't trip on them.

C. L. Sleger ha ringraziato Van Zelst Inc
  • teeka0801(7aNoVa)
    7 anni fa

what an inspiration! I love natural looking gardening...it's harder than one might think! That's why I get SO upset when I see folks chopping down the staggered, natural forests and replacing with those rows of trees...yuck...and they get paid big bucks for this??!! It looks so fake, don't they realize it?

Sorry, got side tracked....fabulous!!

C. L. Sleger ha ringraziato teeka0801(7aNoVa)
Sponsorizzato

Ricarica la pagina per non vedere più questo specifico annuncio

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".