Houzz Logo Print
lynnjohno1953

Is a bath necessary in a small bathroom?

lynnjohno1953
8 anni fa
Ultima modifica:6 anni fa

How important is it to keep the bath in our small bathroom? The upstairs bathroom consists of a vanity, shower and toilet. We have four bedrooms with a study which is potentially a fifth bedroom. We have had varying opinions on this matter.

Commenti (63)

• kooky_karen
    8 anni fa

I believe you need to think of resale value of home with and without bath. A young family needs a bath, whilst an older couple probably don't. Also, if older, you might have young grandchildren stay over. As for being a dust catcher - I vacuum mine weekly and then spray water around it - not so hard.

Me, I like a bath, it completes a bath-room.

• Marj Kibby
    8 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 8 anni fa

Karen, would you live with something you didn't like for a decade or more on the chance that the next people to move in might want it?

• User
    8 anni fa

I think the "must have a bath" argument is completely overrated and just plain WRONG! Most people don't want them and they're outright dangerous (ie, slippery, difficult to get in and out of, difficult to clean properly...) The resale argument is garbage in today's world. Completely agree with Marj Kibby.

• Molly Gee
    8 anni fa

Your bath and vanity are exactly the same as the ones we just pulled out!
    We had the same discussion and basically I said I was sick of cleaning dust and animal hair (don't know how it got there but it did!) out of something we didn't use and just took up space in our small bathroom.
    Result - a beautiful bathroom that we all love! Heaps of space and easy to clean too.
    Totally agree with micshack and others - stuff the resale argument, more and more people just don't use baths ... even for kids. Alot of the babies I know were bathed in the laundry tub.

• francescampbell
    8 anni fa

Absolutely bloody useless are baths. Get rid of the bath. Use the space to make the shower bigger with a more accessible entry to the shower. Use the extra space for a larger vanity with storage ++++++

Depending on the size of the vanity (cupboards and drawers) you can roll 12 hand towels into one drawer and 8 rolls of toilet paper (or more) in another drawer, which is an absolute luxury. You cut out the cleaning time of the useless bath and you also cut out more time by not having to shuttle the t/rolls and hand towels to the bathroom. It's all about time these days with so many people (particularly mothers) working full time.

• Luke Buckle
    8 anni fa

Strong feelings there, @Frances, How did you come to despise baths so much?

• kooky_karen
    8 anni fa

Marj - have had to live with things that I don't like, but the bath was never one of those things.

Molly - have never considered bathing babies in laundry tub. Rather cramped and not much fun. My grandchildren love staying overnight and having a bath with lots of bubbles and toys. I have showered them also and ended up wetter than they were.

I have a daughter still at home and after a hard day as a nurse she finds there is nothing like a hot bath to soak away the aches and pains.

Personally, I find showers harder to clean - soap scum, discoloured grout and silicon that goes black with mould.

• PRO
    Westile
    8 anni fa

Today a bath is seen as being somewhat redundant in a bathroom. A double or larger shower is considered more of an advantage. Removing the bath from this small room will visually increase the space of the room. Consider a smaller free standing bath as an alternative. The boxed in bath in the photo makes the room look small and cramped. If you do keep the bath you could make the room look bigger by selecting the same tile for the floor, bath apron and hob as well as the wall behind the bath and then do the other walls in a lighter colour. This will create a feature wall as well as making the bathroom look bigger.

Good luck

• User
    8 anni fa

We will eventually remove our bath, as the kids are too old. We need wheelchair access later.

• User
    8 anni fa

It can take up alot of space:-

• francescampbell
    8 anni fa

I have strong dislike for baths because in the last 4 houses we have had the baths were very deep baths. Grandkids loved them, but even having to wash those kids in the bath was a chore because of the bending, and when kids are tiny you need to hold onto them the whole time. When my own kids were tiny, I used the laundry trough because of the lack of needing to bend. Had the towel ready on top of the washing machine next to the trough and it worked like a conveyer belt. No bending at all.

The cleaning of those same baths was an ABSOLUTE chore. Could never reach over to the far side, had to actually get in the bath tub to do the other side. Too much work, and after every use too.

• PRO
    Bristow Design
    8 anni fa

One possible option is to try and find an attractive bath shower combo. Personally when we renovated we removed our bath and replaced it with a large walk-in shower. Another bathroom trick I like to use is to have a large wall to wall mirror if possible which gives the illusion of a room double the size. Keep toiletries in vanity drawers rather than behind mirror cabinets. You can also install electric sockets behind the drawers to plug in your toothbrush etc.

• tarotlova
    8 anni fa
    When I was a Showroom consultant at a plumbing showroom we used to get the same question with Spas! Now hardly anyone has them because of the cost of filling them plus the pumps etc. and having been a cleaner if you saw the crap that comes out of those jets ewww! When the bath question came up I said kids don't stay in the bath very long a few months really, but I would suggest to them buying a China laundry trough Caroma, Seima & Novelli sell them, a bit nicer to sit in for the kids and look very nice, thus no bending or cleaning the dust collector bath. Australia as a rule is getting older so re sale value doesn't make sense either people always change the kitchen or bathroom when they buy a house even when it's new to put their own stamp on their new home. Unless YOU enjoy a soak in the bath don't put one in for the sake of resale it's not worth it.
  • PRO
    Worldwide Timber Traders
    8 anni fa

Speaking personally, I don't understand why more showers and baths aren't combined in Australia? And, this includes new builds and remodels. It saves space, alleviates water being traipsed about and is multi-functional. As a renter, the bathroom is always a make or break. I won't start on the separate toilet area either... another huge waste of space.

• Marj Kibby
    8 anni fa

Bristow A, those baths with the expanded shower end are on all the UK reno programs but I haven't seen them in Aus.

• LouieT
    8 anni fa

Not for me. A shower over the bath is one of my pet hates in a hotel room most recent stay had one & it was borderline dangerous! As for resale value based on the previous replies it seems not so popular. How about a bath in the garden for those who feel the need? Fish pond or water garden seems like a big improvement for the money.

BTW we just renovated our 25 year old home and put a free standing bath in the family bathroom just for resale purposes and both we and our guests have used it ... conclusion - nice romantic idea in theory but a pain to clean, takes up space, collects dust, takes ages to fill and uses a lot of precious water. Let's hope if we sell in the future it looks great in the brochure!

• mykky48
    8 anni fa

Those shower/bath combos fit no one and are more than dangerous!!! However a wet area flat floor shower, particularly if it's a generous size! suits any one who can stand up....kids included. We always make certain that we have a rail shower with hand spray option so the height can be varied and small kids needing supervision can be rinsed off by the adult concerned. Another necessity is the mixer on the opposite wall to where the shower is, no one gets frozen waiting for the warm water to flow.

We never had any issue selling our houses minus the dust trap aka bath!

• Leah Wheeler
    8 anni fa

we had exactly the same bathroom and possibly the same vanity. We moved the bath along the wall under the window in place of the vanity and did a shower over the bath with a swinging shower screen. We moved the vanity to the wall where the bath previously was and added some shelves

• susan_66
    8 anni fa

Geez, how many bath-haters are there out there? Frankly, I think without a bath, it ceases to be a bathroom. I'm in my forties, have no children and would NEVER live in a house without a bath. Yep, if your house was for sale (all of you above without baths) and I walked in, I'd walk straight out again. Lacking a bath can be a deal-breaker.

Micshack, for my money, a 'bathroom' without a bath does not look luxurious - it looks penny-pinching and mean. A bath - particularly one with a headrest and armrest, and room for candles, is what shows that a bathroom is for luxuriating in - rather than a perfunctory utility room.

How do people without a bath relax? The one thing I'd say is that it's better to have the taps positioned centrally on the side, rather than at one end - makes it easier for two people to share.

World-wide timber traders - I've lived and rented in houses and flats with the combined bath/shower combo, and it's a pain. It's much more of a slip hazard, and harder to clean - especially if it's a fixed screen. If, on the other hand, you have a shower curtain, you can have the joy of the damp curtain flapping on you as you shower. Ick! Separate toilets are very handy if one person wants to use it while another person is having a relaxing bath . . . and there is a minority of people who strongly believe that toilets in the bathroom are a health hazard (airborne particles and all . . .)

And Westile, all those people who find a contained bath a dust-trap are unlikely to prefer a freestanding bath, which, in addition to needing wiping out, needs tricky cleaning manoeuvres to get around and underneath it.

• Marj Kibby
    8 anni fa

Soaking in your own dirt is rather gross, I'd follow the Japanese/Korean? tradition of showering to remove the sweat and pollution before a soak.

Baths can also be dangerous for older people with the sustained heat causing hypertension and fainting, burns as they can't get out of too hot water quickly, stress on a weak heart, and nausea.

Sitting under flowing warm water is much more therapeutic than sitting in gradually getting colder water. None of these showers look penny-pinching to me https://www.houzz.com/photos/sit-down-shower-phbr0lbl-bl~l_45309

Baths also use much more water than showers.

• Sylvana Krite
    8 anni fa
    We had a bath in our last home. In the 19 years of living there even with grandkids, I only used it about ten times and that was only because medically I needed to. So I am renovating a new home and my architect asked, do I want a bath.... To that I replied . Why so I have to clean it every week .
    No thank you.
    As one person said when you resell the new owners will do what they want.
  • PRO
    Worldwide Timber Traders
    8 anni fa

I can understand where stand alone shower/tub combos could potentially be dangerous (i.e. clawfoot tubs), especially with such a high step. But, a built in shower/tub combo usually has a lower step-in ledge and is partially enclosed so falling out isn't as much of a risk.

The other benefit is built-ins have a ledge to place a leg when shaving! Something I dearly miss in a glass (ledge-less) shower. Collection of dust dissipates when in use every day, which is alleviated by not having to choose between one (shower) or the other (tub).

Separate toilet areas are fine by me; however, to classify as functional, it must have a sink. Otherwise, "airborne particles" are no longer an issue... grubby hands and door knobs are regardless of how 'close' the laundry room basin is.

• Gioenne Rapisarda
    8 anni fa

WOW - what an interesting breadth of answers and comments on this topic! @lynnjohno1953 let us know how you go, you've certainly got a lot to consider.

• helendyjak
    8 anni fa

Well,my old bathroom in the unit had a standard bath. After a reno I put a small triangle spa bath in a cnr and shower head above with movable shower screen. I use the spar in the winter more but shower standing in the spar and it is fine. Never thought of re-sale value and it is a personal preference. Good luck. If I had more room I would put a bidet as it is good 4 re-sale value.

• slr027
    8 anni fa

i say get rid of the bath, just have a walk in shower and a nice vanity with counter top basin. the bathroom will feel and look bigger. but for resale to sell as family home you could put in a small corner bath with shower.

• misslizzie21
    8 anni fa
    I seriously thought about removing our bath when the bathroom was updated a couple of years back. Instead my brother made me a bath cover which can be removed on the very rare occasions we need it. It's a great spot for keeping towels, bits and pieces, as well as for drying feet, painting toenails etc. it's laminated and easy to clean, plus I can sit or stand on it dust and polish the cedar walls. It's an option I recommend.

Deciding to paint the cedar or not was a dilemma at the time, everyone, and I mean everyone, encouraged me to keep it. I'm sort of glad I did, the opposite wall is mostly mirror so the room is bright enough. It's easy to maintain, just some cedar polish every few months. It's 30 years old and in excellent condition, so I'm living with it!
    8 anni fa

Just read all the comments! Talk about polarizing views.I think the question really needs to be answered by you and your family.If you use it-keep it.If you don't get rid of it.

As life is to be lived is in the here and now I wouldn't be too concerned with comments about future/possible house sell on and implications. The most important thing is what YOU need and want.

I know that when you answer these questions for yourself, you'll make the right choice for you and your family:)

• karenleonn
    8 anni fa
    Miss Lizzie that's a great idea - especially if you rent and can't get rid of the bath. That cover looks great.
  • karenleonn
    8 anni fa
    Oh and FYI I agree with your friends. It's almost a crime to paint cedar.
  • misslizzie21
    8 anni fa
    Thank you Karen!
  • Connie
    8 anni fa

we spent a fortune on our bathroom renovation 15 years ago, and put in a claw foot bath with shower overhead. don't regret it at all. i love to have a long soak, but no-one else in the family does. hubby HATES it, but that because he is tall, and we didn't allow quite enough head height for the shower rose (allowing for the fact that the bath is 6 inches up of the floor). to address a couple of points:

slippery and dangerous: only if you don't use a mat..much like in many showers.

hard to get in and out of: possibly more a reflection of your own health, than the bath's fault. as we age, this is a consideration, so some adaption might be necessary. i have a ledge alongside, which i use to balance as i get in. bath handrails are available, if you need one.

hard to clean: um, easier than a shower stall. no grout, etc. buy one of those hose attachments for the tap, and simply spary out the dust. not that hard. and dont use soap to wash-use soap free body wash, and you rarely have to clean it.

wet flappy shower curtains............we put expansion rails above our bath, and it doesn't touch at all, even with people moving in and out our bathroom. plus, i get to change the look of my bathroom whenever i want, very cheaply, just by swapping out my shower curtain. and just throw them in the wash when they get dirty-no glass screen to clean=wonderful

soaking in your own muck: wow, are you really that dirty? q: if its just what was on you before you got in the bath-whats the problem? you are still the same level of dirtiness, just wet.

takes up too much space-well, some do, but usually/often old bathrooms were just poorly designed. also, fittings are more compact now, so there are options in making efficient use of the space.

Really, at the end of the day, it all comes down to personal preference. if resale is a concern, and you have the space, i would definately put a bath in. even if you rarely use it. but if space is very limited, then maybe remove it. but do think about your changing life needs to-your kids might be grown up now, but will there possibly be grandchildren? what about washing the dog?

also, sometimes a bathroom can be far more efficient by taking out the handbasin, and relocating that (making a 3 way bathroom- time and space efficient, and relatively easy to relocate a handbasin.

• PRO
    Plush Design Interiors
    6 anni fa

Many home buyers love to see a bath. And I bathe my dog in ours. However, it's increasingly a personal decision. If you don't use it / don't need it then get rid of it. Install a gloriously luxurious feeling bathroom (yes, even on a budget) so that even if you do decide to sell, future buyers will love it even without a bath. Cheers, Penelope

• bankwhitt
    6 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 6 anni fa

When deciding, I think it is important to give your future self a gift? (not other people). What are YOUR household's needs for say 10 years? Put in the handrails now whilst renovating. Have a pleasant space for you and your hygiene needs. For children, there's plenty of plastic tubs that fit in the bottom of the shower that you can use.

• Marj Kibby
    6 anni fa

Before - shower immediately in front of door.

Now it feels spacious and is more convenient with a bigger vanity in front of the door.

• francescampbell
    6 anni fa

Well Connie and Don't call me Penny, washing the dog in the bath throws a different light on soaking in your own dirt as mentioned my someone earlier in this post. If I am to buy another house in the future, when I look at the bath that might be there, I'm going to be wondering about soaking in the dog hair - inter alia and wondering what I might catch during the long, luxurious soak.

• PRO
    Plush Design Interiors
    6 anni fa

Sorry to put you off baths francescampbell :-) You make a good point. However, I can assure you our bath is very clean... and our dog is white :-) I love the new bathroom tho.

• H R
    6 anni fa
    easy solution, Shub... good for small bathroom if you have kids/babies that need a wash in a tub but not much bigger than a shower, best of both worlds
  • Marj Kibby
    6 anni fa

Out of shot in the bathroom above, I have a Japanese bath stool for leg shaving and a bamboo tub for doggo - I'd offer it to any littlies visiting.

• alliance61
    6 anni fa
    just went throught the same decision. we have the shower over the bath and I considered taking it out and replacing with a baseless shower. in the end we left as is and recoated the bath - and put in a new shower screen. Cost was a big factor in the decision. You would have to reconfigure your whole bathroom to get the benefit of the space gained by removing the bath. So a cheap option: have the bath and tiles coated. replace vanity. More costly: remove bath, move shower and vanity - basically remodel.
  • PRO
    Dreambath Sanitaryware Factory
    6 anni fa

Solid surface bathtub is good for your health when you are tired and take a bath.

• User
    6 anni fa
    Not in a small bathroom but in a family home you need one large bathroom and this should have a bath. I've been told it's what people expect from a newly renovated bathroom. If you're not selling any time soon and you never use the bath then just go with what will work for you. Small bathroom better with a shower.
  • lizmari57
    5 anni fa
    When we renovated our bathroom in out forever home 1st thing we did was get rid of the bath and made a large walk in shower we left enough room for a shower chair for when we get older. Big vanity unit, plenty of storage best thing we ever did we alway get lots of compliments on the size of the shower. Once we die whoever can put a bathtub where the shower is and tweak it a bit but we are enjoying while we are here
  • daf Marie
    5 anni fa
    I have a shower over bath combo' which its plastic resin something? It's a old bungalow and pitifully small.
    The amount of times I have nearly slipped over getting out, or lost my balance with soap in my eyes/ or after having a glass of wine.
    hate hate it.
    I did see a shower room with a additional hand held device and a over head shower. I thought that good for the odd squirt your feet down.
    The next owners will probably rip it all out and start again any way when design ideas change.
  • Susan Ballard
    5 anni fa
    If you want to sell your home in the future keep the bath
  • robandlyn
    5 anni fa

This post is from 2015

• User
    5 anni fa
    Catching up
  • User
    5 anni fa
    Just read through the comments. It's now 2018 and nothing has changed.
  • Janelle Wallace
    il mese scorso

We have a shower over a large cast iron tub that is dangerous to get in to or out of. we will be removing it and putting it outside (for a farmstay we are building) where users get a beautiful ore. If ever we get the urge (only used our bath 3 times in 14 years) we can go over there when. It occupied.

• Kate
    il mese scorso

Old post

• Janelle Wallace
    il mese scorso

Perpetual topic

Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".