Houzz Logo Print
marylise

Study Update

marylise
8 anni fa
Hi All. I attempted to update this room last year and I did to some degree but I did get to the point that I just dropped the idea. I would like to keep the plain it and decorate with that as an inspiration. The furniture (desk and credenza) has to stay. I can paint, add new rug, new curtains and accessories. I did try moving desk on angle but it just doesn't work for me for a few reasons so I would prefer to keep layout the same. I might be wiling to remove the shelf part of the credenza. See attached photos. I will post one more. Please help select chairs, rug, paint etc. thanks.

Commenti (49)

• marylise
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa
    From 4th angle.
  • miacometlady
    8 anni fa
    Is this a study or do you use it as an office, it definitely gives an office vibe which I wouldn't want if this were my 'study'.
  • User
    8 anni fa

The credenza and hutch corner unit looks lop-sided in the room. I would try moving the desk to face the window (not on an angle - but straight and have the longer part of the unit behind the desk.

Another option would be to separate the 2 pieces of the credenza and hutch unit (if you can) to make it one long piece and place it centered behind the desk as it sits now.

• miacometlady
    8 anni fa
    I'd move the credenza behind desk and add to the other one, to make it on one long wall. Center picture behind chair. Pull desk closer to the picture wall.
  • marylise
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa
    It's more of an office space. Having said that, what's the difference between a study and an office?
  • miacometlady
    8 anni fa
    Move accent chairs to either side of window. Remove plant from room. Perhaps find a bigger rug.
  • marylise
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa
    The credenza cannot be split into two pieces. This is the only way it will fit in the room. The only thing I can do is remove the shelf part.
  • marylise
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa
    This room is not used for clients. I use it to do house finances only. We do not watch TV or read in this room. It is one of the first rooms you see when you walk in the front door.
  • miacometlady
    8 anni fa
    Well, then I think you have done a great job if you can't split the unit, which I like very much as is. The painting tucked in the corner is throwing off the space. Perhaps retire that from room and add a corner table, not necessarily this table, but one with open legs to lighten up the space. Good luck.
  • karielen
    8 anni fa
    Ultima modifica: 8 anni fa

Not quite sure of your wall color. But I think I would change it to a cooler color, since everything is so brown, perhaps a gray or blue gray that you could check to make sure worked with your existing furniture and also with the entry color if keeping. I like your art, perhaps you could draw on that as your inspiration. I would consider drapes that were higher than the existing drapes. I don't think the plant works well there. I would remove that and add art - perhaps a gallery of art.

• Miranda Rose
    8 anni fa
    Move the painting to the middle of the wall, behind the desk .
  • PRO
    adalisa frazzini
    8 anni fa

I would move the tree to the other corner behind the desk where the painting currently hangs. Paint walls a medium blue or green color pulled from your large painting, along the lines of BM Silken Blue. Try the 2 guest chairs in corners facing the desk. The large painting will go on wall facing window centered between credenza and entry wall (may try angling them towards desk or facing each other). I would get the next size up rug and with a larger pattern on it maybe more movement that has blues, greens, neutrals and maybe small amounts of red /gold in it. Recover cornice in a small scale pattern fabric to coordinate with rug and hang higher on the wall. If you can make it wider than window, do that also. Get neutral drapery panels to hang outside of window frame (so they don’t block any light). I mean neutral here to be like dark beige similar to natural or flax linen fabric type color on the lighter side to bring some brightness and contrast. Hang another smaller art piece behind desk. Add books, and other colored accessories to shelves incorporating blue, green neutral and you can keep some of the red.

• marylise
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa
    I would like to use this painting as the inspiration I love it and have no other wall space for it. I have attached a photo of the art hanging over the desk( that's how it used to be before I was told to move it over to balance the credenza unit). I plan to paint a warm light beige. All the colors in the house are warm. I will be removing the cornice completely and adding to the curtains ( or making new) so they will hang from higher over the window. I will also be getting a new rod so they can hanging wider to show the window trim. Any specific suggestions for chairs and rug?
  • PRO
    Kim Nielsen Interiors
    8 anni fa

What if you took the top part off the corner unit. Then, arranged it toward the back of your desk L-shape (where printer is and then against wall)Then you would have a place behind your desk to have 2 pretty lamps with your art work in between. This would make a huge difference in creating balance. I would like to know the colors in your foyer rug. Having a larger rug in your study would make your space feel larger as well as having your draperies go all the way up to the ceiling. I can send you options for fabrics (trim). Your two chairs are fabulous and I can see them recovered in a great fabric, which I can send you as well. You may email me directly. KimNielsenInteriors@gmail.com

Best,

Kim

www.KimNielsenInteriors.com

• marylise
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa
    Kim. The credenza unit only fits in the room as it is. He only thing I can do Is remove the shelving part of the unit.
  • karielen
    8 anni fa

With your art as the inspiration, and painting the room a light beige, I would be sure to incorporate some of the other colors from the art in the room elsewhere. I like Kim Nielsen's idea about a larger rug. I would bring in some of the cooler colors from the painting into the rug in perhaps a larger abstract print. For the windows, I would go with a fabric that brought in some of the cooler shades of the print for window treatments - perhaps a solid and hung higher as you noted. I would definitely add some cooler colors to the bookcase, and since it is a bookcase in a study, books as well.

• PRO
    Kim Nielsen Interiors
    8 anni fa

Yes, I understand that it cannot be split up (except you can take the top off, correct?) Move it towards the center of the back wall behind/close to your desk. It would close to where your printer is (so move your printer to that part of the corner unit) and obviously, the rest would be on the back wall. It does not need to touch the desk just go behind it. Is this making any sense?

Best,

Kim

• PRO
    Kim Nielsen Interiors
    8 anni fa
    Like this...
  • leelee
    8 anni fa

Very neat look. The picture looks a little jammed into the corner. It might look better centered behind the chair/desk.

The shelves don't actually have to form a corner do they? You could flatten them out on the back wall--one on right one on left.

• marylise
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa
    Kim....the unit only fits in the room as is. If I move the inti to where the printer us it will be partially blocking the window.
  • marylise
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa
    Leelee the unit does not come apart.
  • marylise
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa
    Can anyone please help with paint, area rug and curtain color/ choices?
  • PRO
    PlushRugs
    8 anni fa

The fastest fix would be to move your rug out from under those chairs. It's not large enough to support them and the desk stylistically. Have you tried turning the chairs at an angle so they make a more "V" shape? You could also get a newer, larger rug or move two legs of each chair off the rug to open up the area.

This room is in dire need of neutral paint. A blue-gray or a icy white would do wonders for the light in the room, like something found in your painting (which looks like the start of a great gallery wall!). You currently have warm colors dominating the room - the walls, chair, desk, credenza, and flooring are all very similar warm tones. It may also help to darken the furniture to a walnut or a dark oak stain, which are popular right now. The chairs are looking a little dated as well. But they are in great shape and you could easily recover them, or sell them and try something new.

- Logan, Plushrugs.com

• sandradclark
    8 anni fa

I do not like the area rug you currently have in the room, nor do I like where it is positioned. I think your room has such a traditional feel that it needs a large Oriental or Persian rug which has red & gold in it. Place the whole desk, chair & the facing chairs on it.

Check Ikea for grommet top drapes in a red to coordinate with the area rug & hang them from just below the ceiling down to the floor. Ikea sells by the pair and not by the panel as most stores do. Check Ikea or Overstock.com for the area rug.

Remove the tree if it is not alive. I love the painting, however with this room I think a large map would be best. Check Great Big Canvas for specific types of art & you can size the art more to your needs. They also have wall peels which when removed will not damage the wall.

Choose a paint by buying sample cans of 2 or 3 colors from the rug. Paint it on 2 foot X 2 foot poster boards to move around the room at different times of the day. This is the only way to choose a paint color. Add a live blooming orchid to the desk, and add books to the bookcases.

• marylise
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa
    My entire home is painted in warm bold colors similar to the ones in the office. I would love to paint. Can I do a cooler color tone in this room without it sticking out like a sore thumb? I will also look for a larger rug.
  • marylise
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa
    Would this chair work with art?
  • marylise
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa
    sandradclark....the tree is alive. I keep it here in the winter and move it outside in the summer. I would like to keep the art. I am looking for a larger rug.
  • sandradclark
    8 anni fa

Great. It looks wonderful. Move the art more to the center of the wall. At least to the center of the wall space between the corner & the credenza. I think it will show much nicer there.

• decoenthusiaste
    8 anni fa

Since you don't meet clients here, the desk doesn't need to be in the command center position. I would turn it to face the window and flank the window with the two chairs. Use painter's tape to tape out a "rug" on the floor. It should sit entirely under the desk and chair, and the two chairs should have their first 1/3 on it as well. Hang the art in right of the credenza, and next winter put the plant in the corner where the art is now. Paint needs to work with the warm upholstery and the cool colors in the art, so that's a bit tricky.

• tfitz1006
    8 anni fa

I think in addition to the good suggestions above, if you added books, maybe a throw on a chair, etc, you might get more of a library feel.

• marylise
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa
    Can anyone tell me if they think this chair goes with art work. Also can these two items work with warm tone colors and if do what color paint?
  • marylise
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa
    So I finally got around to painting the office. My next step is curtains and reupholstering the two tub chairs. I will do that in a neutral fabric. Question about the chairs- should I keep the skirt or go without? Next question - color of drapery? And should I keep the shelves off the credenza or put them back. If I do put them back I think I will put wallpaper on board and line the back of the shelves they are so dark.
  • marylise
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa
    Photos are not loading.....
  • marylise
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa
    Would these drapes work in the office?
  • Trine Vig
    8 anni fa
    I suggest you keep the chairs as is.. Buy some beige pillows and decor. You could place a table inbetween. The curtains look great.. Ad some furnitures behind desk. Do not place lamp in the middle of desk.

I would choose a mother more modern rug. Add some big wall paper covered canvases on wall. You could install a little fireplace where the plant was before...
  • Trine Vig
    8 anni fa
  • Trine Vig
    8 anni fa
  • PRO
    La Mercanti
    8 anni fa

I suggest this selection of Italian leather armchairs, USA straight delivery

• marylise
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa
    My home is very traditional. The rug is brand new. I would like some input as to the credenza wether or not to put the shelves back. The chairs are faded so I really need to reupholster. No fireplace. I have wall of prints I am willing to re frame, if necessary and move into the space. These are all original pieces purchased on our travels as souvenirs.
  • marylise
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa
    Trinevig....what furniture should I add behind the desk? Not following you
  • marylise
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa
    Anyone else have ideas for me.
  • Betty van Sant
    8 anni fa
    Hi. I have fallen in love with Benjamin Moore Ashley Gray paint. We repainted our inside and used this color. It is very easy to look at and decorate around. Check it out. It's quite lovely!!
  • marylise
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa
    I just finished putting room back together after I painted. I need opinions on the bookcase / credenza.
  • erinsean
    8 anni fa

I will give you my opinion. Love the room without the upper part of the credenza. It is looking good to me. Yes, those drapes would work. How about a lamp and some small picture frames or a vase or even a plant to balance the nice big one you have, on your credenza. You could also if you wanted to (but not necessary) you could put a small round table with a lamp on it between the two chairs. I like keeping everything simple and neat.

• keenplanner
    8 anni fa

Needs books and furniture that doesn't look like it came from Office Depot.

• marylise
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa
    Keen planner. .....that "Office Depot" furniture was custom made many years ago out of solid maple by a craftsman furniture maker. I think you should take a closer look before you make such comments about something you know nothing about.
  • marylise
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa
    erinsean...thank you for your useful opinion. I plan to add art for sure and something on the credenza to add balance. Not sure what though. Would a wall of art ( you can from previous photos I do have quite a collection of watercolors) work or should I look for 1 large piece to hang. I can look for a small table for between the chairs. I might have trouble with a lamp though as there is no way to plug it in being that it is in the middle of the room. I will order drapes and hang then close to the ceiling and extend beyond the actual window frame.

I also have a set of graduation photos of my boys that I would like to hang. I will attach a photo.
  • marylise
    Autore originale
    8 anni fa
    erinsean.....these are the photos. Originally they were hung just to the left of the window. Where should they be hung now., if anywhere.
Italia
Personalizza la mia esperienza utilizzando cookie

Houzz utilizza cookie e tecnologie simili per personalizzare la mia esperienza, fornire contenuti per me rilevanti e migliorare i prodotti e i servizi di Houzz. Premendo su "Accetta", acconsento all'utilizzo dei cookie, descritto ulteriormente nell'Informativa sui cookie. Posso rifiutare i cookie non necessari cliccando su "Imposta le preferenze".